FedEx Custom Critical

bg101

Expert Expediter
Thinking about contacting FedEx CC, so I have several questions if someone can answer. And this is if they are hiring at all, as lots of companies have hold on hiring some specific types of vehicles.

What I got:
White 2008 Sprinter 2500 - 170" cargo bed
CDL with Hazmat, TWIC card, as well.
Experience, Yes, everywhere in USA plus Canada

1. What's the pay structure currently (Fall 2014), I see people complaining for some flat $ per mile? If it is flat, what's for Sprinter vans? Isn't it percentage based? [Whats the average pay for Sprinters, $1.10~$1.15? Canada ~$1.40-$1.50? PM if this is a secret :)] Can you haggle with broker/system about the price in reasonable parameters?

2. Stickers. Do you need to put that big logo on side of the van and back? Is it optional? Any smaller versions, just for the doors let say? I am concerned parking this vehicle in residential community with these over sized logos, which cant be hidden even with magnetic sheets due to size.

3. Do they run everywhere? East cost, West Coast, Canada,NW, NW Pacific? Frequent loads to/from Texas, Louisiana (me-Houston based)?

rymilburn

Active Expediter
FedEx. I run a sprinter with them.

Flat rate of .80CPM +FSC

They don't pay anymore for a sprinter, compared to a cargo van. Which sucks. They claim you'll be eligible for more loads due to your weight capacity ... However in the last 6 months, maybe that's been the case 2-3 times.

West coast loads are non-existing for vans. Being out of Houston, you'll probably have to go up to Dallas to get anything worth a darn. I seem to get to Memphis, TN quite often. You may just have to DH .

As far as the logo's, call your recruiter. I just have the small door logo's which I can cover up easily and use my sprinter for other things. They offer a $$$ incentive if you choose the big logo's .

davekc

Senior Moderator
Staff member
Fleet Owner
Probably wouldn't hurt to look up LDB as he runs a van for them and is also out of the Houston area.

interstategar

Veteran Expediter
I've run a cargo van with them for decades, and still do. Its true the flat rate now is .80 per mile, plus 100% of the fuel surcharge, and extra charges like detention, inside delivery. They pay $50 extra for hazmat loads and to pick up and deliver in the NY metro area. I've laid over in Houston, and got a load to Dallas. They don't really dispatch out of centers anymore. It doesn't matter where your parked nowadays. You can be at home in Houston and get called for a pick up in Dallas, or Louisiana, or wherever. They will pay you basically the fuel cost or .15 per mile from where you're parked to a pick up if no one closer wants the load, or if you have alot of dwell time. We do run all over the US and Canada. If you do get to the west coast, they have loads that run up and down the coast. You are free to layover wherever you choose. You can call into to the system to find out how many loads moved out of a center, over 100 of them in any time period either the same day, a week ago or put in a specific date up to a year in the past. The advantage of signing onto Fedex CC is that they are the largest expedite company in the world, and they have lots of customers, including Fedex customers from other divisions. Other carriers call us for their expedite needs, they don't offer. Also, they will be in business virtuely forever. The small expediters-who knows... I've run into many drivers who signed on with Panther, Tristate, Bolt, who all left because of the low pay, and running their truck into the ground from running long loads, then nothing coming back.

QuickPUD

Active Expediter
Researching
I've run a cargo van with them for decades, and still do. Its true the flat rate now is .80 per mile, plus 100% of the fuel surcharge, and extra charges like detention, inside delivery. They pay $50 extra for hazmat loads and to pick up and deliver in the NY metro area. I've laid over in Houston, and got a load to Dallas. They don't really dispatch out of centers anymore. It doesn't matter where your parked nowadays. You can be at home in Houston and get called for a pick up in Dallas, or Louisiana, or wherever. They will pay you basically the fuel cost or .15 per mile from where you're parked to a pick up if no one closer wants the load, or if you have alot of dwell time. We do run all over the US and Canada. If you do get to the west coast, they have loads that run up and down the coast. You are free to layover wherever you choose. You can call into to the system to find out how many loads moved out of a center, over 100 of them in any time period either the same day, a week ago or put in a specific date up to a year in the past. The advantage of signing onto Fedex CC is that they are the largest expedite company in the world, and they have lots of customers, including Fedex customers from other divisions. Other carriers call us for their expedite needs, they don't offer. Also, they will be in business virtuely forever. The small expediters-who knows... I've run into many drivers who signed on with Panther, Tristate, Bolt, who all left because of the low pay, and running their truck into the ground from running long loads, then nothing coming back.

Hmmm. I will have to check out FedEx Custom Critical. I have a passport but I would have to get a ProMaster or Transit. Being able to run all over the United States and Canada is a big plus.