express van cruise control problem

idtrans

Expert Expediter
I just got a 2003 chevy express 3500 the cruise doesnt seem to be working have any of you other express van drivers had this problem also ? I looked for a fuse in the fuse box under hood and under drivers seat but I didn't see any marked cruise c or even cc nothing.

Thanks in advance if anyone has any pointers of what I should look in to.

Moot

Veteran Expediter
Owner/Operator
Fuses are the easiest and first logical thing to check but a common cause of cruise control problems is the wiring in the turn signal stalk.

I've got a 2004 Express and also could not find a fuse dedicated for the cruise control. My manual shows the under the seat fuse box has positions 32 and 33 denoted as "Auxiliary 1" and "Auxiliary 2". Position 1 is "Spare". You may want to start there with a fuse tester or volt meter. Unbolting the driver's seat and removing it or pushing towards the passenger side will make this task easier.

My manual shows the under the hood fuse box positions 25, 33,35,63 and 64 denoted as "Spare". On my van this fuse box is more difficult to access than the under the seat box because some moron routed the power steering lines over the top of the box.

Good luck and please report back.

batman217

Seasoned Expediter
Your van should be equipped with an Anti-Locking Braking system on all 4 wheels. Check to see if the ABS is actually working. If an ABS pump is going bad on one of the wheels it can get quite annoying. A quick and cheap fix to this is to pull the fuse (under the hood) for the ABS. Doing this will also kill the cruise control. So I am wondering if the former owner had a problem with the ABS and just simply pulled the fuse for it. I found this out on my 2004 GMC Sierra 2500 HD when an ABS pump/actuator was going out. When I pull the fuse for the ABS it kills my cruise control also. When I plug the fuse back in the cruise control works. Good luck

idtrans

Expert Expediter
well I will check all the pointers when I get van back I had to get all new tie rod ends and stuff today turns out they were bad. Van will be back with me friday afternoon and I will be getting into it because I do like having my cruise for long stretches of highway. but if I don't have cruise I will survive.

Thanks for the fuse #'s moot I will for sure check those, and my van has the same goofy design why would they put the fuse box on a wheel well ? terrible place for it.

idtrans

Expert Expediter
Your van should be equipped with an Anti-Locking Braking system on all 4 wheels. Check to see if the ABS is actually working. If an ABS pump is going bad on one of the wheels it can get quite annoying. A quick and cheap fix to this is to pull the fuse (under the hood) for the ABS. Doing this will also kill the cruise control. So I am wondering if the former owner had a problem with the ABS and just simply pulled the fuse for it. I found this out on my 2004 GMC Sierra 2500 HD when an ABS pump/actuator was going out. When I pull the fuse for the ABS it kills my cruise control also. When I plug the fuse back in the cruise control works. Good luck

I will look into this they could have pulled it. Will be good if I have cruise :confused:

ChrisGa23

Expert Expediter
could be like mine and have a mind of its own. I set the cruise. Start to head up hill of any size and it kicks it self off for whatever reason. Seems like it does that once I find a good comfortable position. Have to undo my comfortable position to push the gas pedal haha. But it seems if you push just a little on the pedal while going up hill it doesnt kick off as often?? No idea. Its just started acting weird a month ago.

idtrans

Expert Expediter
could be like mine and have a mind of its own. I set the cruise. Start to head up hill of any size and it kicks it self off for whatever reason. Seems like it does that once I find a good comfortable position. Have to undo my comfortable position to push the gas pedal haha. But it seems if you push just a little on the pedal while going up hill it doesnt kick off as often?? No idea. Its just started acting weird a month ago.

Well I am having to use this gasoline van for a run or 2 until I can try to get my diesel ford back from the driver LOL He is liking my diesel. Plus on his first week he ran 1750 paid miles and only 100 dead head so not to bad. If he keeps running like that why not let him have my van LOL. This chevy 6.0 does drive nice now has **** near all new front steering components and tires and full tune up. but no cruise LOL I will be fine heck Back in 2004 I drove a mack for over 80k with no cruise so it will be like the old days for me.

I did find the lighter / power outlets on dash had blown fuses today I am going to pull more fuses and keep looking at them 1 by 1 to make sure they are all fine. The abs fuse is the big fuse it was fine thank god. who knows like 1 of my brokers said just throw a after market cruise on and say the heck with it. and I just may do that unless I get a driver into this one that doesn't care about cruise. but i wont be getting a 3rd van for a coupe more months but next van will be a duramax van or the 4.8 6 speed van .

highwayhank

Veteran Expediter
Charter Member
well you shouldn't be using cruise control on hills with any kind of load if you don't want to replace tanny