Expedite broker load board?

Brent

New Recruit
My wife and I used to run team for FedEx custom critical… 12 years ago. We have since started our own company, have our own authority and insurance...and run in the bulk industry. I miss team expediting but cannot commit to being gone 3-5 weeks at a time at this point in our lives…

Since I don't know of any companies that would allow us to "part time" expedite team runs, i'd love to just throw this out there… Does anybody know of a company that will broker expedited freight? Or does anybody know of a an expedited broker load board? I am already set up with Landstar but didn't know if there were any others?

rollincoal

Expert Expediter
Owner/Operator
It varies with trending volumes but they all post up expedited freight on open loadboards at one time or another. I've seen and booked from just about every expedited carrier in this forum off DAT, ITS plus also a lot from free LS, and CHR loadboards and contacts. I do solo expedited tractor trailer but I know one of our husband/wife teams that also run expedited freight when it's around. The relationships you build and the reputation you earn will be your most important assets but you have to be committed 100% to seeking out this freight.

Not sure how well that works since it seems another type of freight is now your bread and butter. I'd do one or the other and do it very well or do many things and be mediocre. Me, I exploit 53' dry van spot freight, that's my market. Now I do a lot of general freight also. I follow the money. Sometimes expedited pays really well and sometimes general freight pays better than the cream of expedite. You just have to know your lanes and be in tune with the trends. It takes time.

As far as stayin out for weeks on end really there is no excuse for that in this day and age for anyone with a TT living east of the Mississippi River should fairly easily be able to get home at least weekly and earn good profits. That 3 and 4 weeks at a time stuff is from yesteryear 1970's and 80's surprising drivers still put up with that BS any more.

At my company I run my operation as I see fit pretty much the same as any independent except without the headaches plus great fuel discounts. I book and negotiate rates every load. I go home when I want without asking permission or really even telling anyone. Although I do make it a point for them to have my truck as off duty when I take extended periods of time off. I took off July the 2nd and will be off the rest of July and likely all if August also. That's how we roll here. The operator is in full control of their own destiny. How it should be for any contractor anywhere imo. I make more profit in 6 months of working my way than I ever did full time year round with someone dispatching me or making them rich on their contract freight - with no say in what I did or when, basically an employee driver covering expenses.

Last edited:
Reactions: RoadTime

rollincoal

Expert Expediter
Owner/Operator
It varies. Normally runs anywhere from 30-40 cents below cash price at Pilot/Flying J. No swipe fees with the fuel card. When the price of fuel was dropping like a rock it was as much as 90 cents off a gallon. A friend of mine uses NASTC Fleet one card and it trends relatively close to that in similar areas. I have an app on my phone that I can pull up the cheapest fuel pump price at our cost anywhere on a given route. Usually Murfreesboro, TN pilot is one of the cheapest for me when I'm running around that part of TN today retail it is $2.759 and our discounted price is $2.303

jjtdrv4u

Expert Expediter
It varies. Normally runs anywhere from 30-40 cents below cash price at Pilot/Flying J. No swipe fees with the fuel card. When the price of fuel was dropping like a rock it was as much as 90 cents off a gallon. A friend of mine uses NASTC Fleet one card and it trends relatively close to that in similar areas. I have an app on my phone that I can pull up the cheapest fuel pump price at our cost anywhere on a given route. Usually Murfreesboro, TN pilot is one of the cheapest for me when I'm running around that part of TN today retail it is $2.759 and our discounted price is $2.303
I just saw the other thread now, assume these fuel discounts are part of the Covenant/Farm2Fleet program?
not bad deal if you are paying them 20% on all your loads.

rollincoal

Expert Expediter
Owner/Operator
Yeah I saw that. There's 2 sides to every story. Not everyone is cut out for operating in this manner lots of people fail here as they do or would any where. No hand holding sink or swim is all on # 1. The Covenant thing is history no longer any association there. My contract is different than what the current contract is I was the first operator to lease on here several years ago. The fuel deal is Pilot cost plus 10 cents program. Just about every company out here that fuels at Pilots exclusively gets the same deal. I think the also have a cost plus 8 cents deal a little better. It's a helluva lot better than the old days, the discounts we used to get.

Apologies did not intend to jack the thread. I am not and don't recruit. Could not care less if anyone does or doesn't lease on here that is not what my comments are about. I have found more often than not most contractors aren't up to the task at really managing their business anyways then blame you or whoever else, so there's no way in hell i'd ever try to talk anyone into anything, when conservatively 90% of wannabes imo are failures not, never will be up to the tasks. This is business. Drivers can lease on at a gazillion different companies out there who cater to and lease on guys that don't know how to run a business just want to drive. I'm more proud of what has become having been here from the early days and compared to where we were at then.

Last edited:
Reactions: jjtdrv4u