Espar Heater Problem

TeamCaffee

Administrator
Staff member
Owner/Operator
Problem with our Espar Heater and wondering if anyone else has experienced this and has solved the problem?

Heater shut down with this error:

Flame Lost

Reactions: EarthTones

xiggi

Veteran Expediter
Owner/Operator
Just Google espar fault codes. You can download a dpf explaining them.

Turtle

Administrator
Staff member
Retired Expediter
I don't have the fancy schmancy digital thermostat, so when mine errors I have no idea what caused it (although after having it for 10 years I have a pretty good idea). But if the air intake or the vent hole gets clogged, that will cause the flame to go out. If the glow pin atomizer screen gets dirty and clogged, same thing. If the blower motor is going bad it'll shut it down. The blower motor will last an average of 5000 hours, some go as quick 3000 goes, some last as long as 8000 hours.

As OVM noted, there is some annual maintenance that needs to be done. It's listed in the manual, but basically it's clean it out. The glow pin screen and fuel line screen needs replacement every year.The flame tube will need a removal and cleaning of the carbon every year (or, you can run it on kerosene for 25 minutes to clean that carbon out). If you take it apart you will need new gaskets. Also, inspect and clean, or replace as necessary the exhaust pipe.

Try and fire it up again a time or two and see if it works. Give Ray a call at Espar. He can tell you what the likely cause is. 2 or 3 weeks ago I had my blower motor replaced, and they cleaned it out and burned some kerosene in it for a while. Repairs & installs are done by Brian at his shop in New Boston, MI, off I-275 by the airport, Sibley Rd. Thermo King works on them, but it's really hit and miss on finding a mechanic that's truly knowledgeable and anal about Espar heaters. Brian, on the other hand, is the Andy Bittenbinder of Espar heaters.

TeamCaffee

Administrator
Staff member
Owner/Operator
Luckily Bob is part McGiver and he was able to take it apart and figure out the problem. It looked as if the screen has been stepped on or flattened and then picked up and put into the heater. It was very restricted and Bob was able to fix it and we are good to go!

Luckily we were at his Mom's house and his step dad is into RC Airplanes and he has every small tool known to man. In no time they had it apart, fixed, and put back into the truck and working.

Thanks for all of the ideas and the places we can go next time to get it fixed if we have a problem again.