Errands 1st - FYI

jelliott

Veteran Expediter
Motor Carrier Executive
US Army
Just an fyi. This message went out on Sylectus this afternoon. Hopefully everyone running multi for them gets paid....

"We would like our Alliance partners to know that we now offer the following services:

Just to pass on to all Alliance partners. I just went to Errands 1st in Maumee, OH. and They have closed their doors. Their office is cleaned out. I did talk to Don the dispatcher who was onsite cleaning out his things. There was also a driver that showed up looking for his paycheck. He got nothing. Don said Jeff walked out a week ago and told everyone he was closing. Good luck on getting what is owed to you."

Malcom Deaton
K&M EXPEDITING II LLC

Reactions: ntimevan

jelliott

Veteran Expediter
Motor Carrier Executive
US Army
Well the ease of becoming a carrier under the multi system makes that true. For a couple thousand dollars you can be a carrier in a few weeks. Factor the money and the owner operators are carrying the cash float for you. Sadly easy to start and easier to walk away from. It's the owner operators that tend to be the ones that get burned.

Sent from my iPhone using EO Forums

Ragman

Veteran Expediter
Retired Expediter
thing is... 1 closes and 2 more open up....its like trash you can't get rid of...it just recycles itself...
Well the ease of becoming a carrier under the multi system makes that true. For a couple thousand dollars you can be a carrier in a few weeks. Factor the money and the owner operators are carrying the cash float for you. Sadly easy to start and easier to walk away from. It's the owner operators that tend to be the ones that get burned.

There has to be a way to prevent this from happening over and over again.......

Slo-Ride

Veteran Expediter

I'm not a carrier so I maybe off base here a bit, but I'm thinking a good starting point would be for the carriers to start policing themselves.
Meaning if they know ABC carriers is farming out work vs putting it on their own trucks or partner carriers would stop using them, it would go a long ways towards protecting the work.

RoadTime

Veteran Expediter
Owner/Operator

538bc1b0177678f4ac0a7ba3530374c5.jpg

Reactions: brokcanadian

davekc

Senior Moderator
Staff member
Fleet Owner
Always going to be a batch of "bottom feeders". Oh, and that is not me on the beach this week. lol:p

Reactions: RoadTime

OntarioVanMan

Retired Expediter
Owner/Operator
thing is... 1 closes and 2 more open up....its like trash you can't get rid of...it just recycles itself...

Limit their access to the various load boards...NLM used to have a 10 van requirement at 1 time...IF Teanna was to use their lobby strength they could try a leverage different loads boards to tighten up who gets access...
RR requires OC coverage to get on theirs...

OntarioVanMan

Retired Expediter
Owner/Operator
Make these load boards aware they are accomodating a fraud and if a unit is sued for lack of insurance in load damage they too could be included in the suit...

xiggi

Veteran Expediter
Owner/Operator
Pretty sure they are made aware of such things. They probably even carry extra insurance for such occasions.

piper1

Veteran Expediter
Owner/Operator
Pretty sure TEANA has done this and continues to do it. Either the rewards of cheap freight and perceived capacity are worth more than the risk of an insurance issue....or it's just to easy to walk away from liability and start over again...heck if you have no assets or real skin in the game how hard could it be.

piper1

Veteran Expediter
Owner/Operator
Limit their access to the various load boards...NLM used to have a 10 van requirement at 1 time....

Careful what you wish for.

If I'm a carrier using the multi model, its pretty darn easy to show I have units...lots of them...heck even the "legit" carriers in their "search for available units" links on their web sites post stuff that isn't theirs. So how do you enforce it? Truck that shows up must have non removable decals of the original carrier contracted for the load?

If the taxi lobby can't win against Uber and the hotel lobby can't win against Air bnb (both industries being undercut by "independent" types who get into a business without following the rules "legit properly licensed/insured" players do) how is TEANA supposed to stomp it out?

I could be wrong..but what's to stop the complete Uberization of all of it? You as a truck owner offer your services directly to a shipper or at least the original 3PL or direct carrier.....instead of it going through a few layers of partner carriers?

jelliott

Veteran Expediter
Motor Carrier Executive
US Army
It is crazy. I spoke with an exec at one of the two largest expedite companies about it. Why do they spend millions on a properly insured fleet then broker to carriers they know are not properly insured??? He totally agreed but....people above him felt the profit outweighed the risk and that they had insurance and lawyers to fight it if needed. Simply crazy to me.

jelliott

Veteran Expediter
Motor Carrier Executive
US Army
Of course I still keep looking for more and better insurance. So many carriers lie and cheat that you think you are using all legit carriers....but we catch them almost every week. That unknown risk I simply hate.

OntarioVanMan

Retired Expediter
Owner/Operator
Limit their access to the various load boards...NLM used to have a 10 van requirement at 1 time....

Careful what you wish for.

If I'm a carrier using the multi model, its pretty darn easy to show I have units...lots of them...heck even the "legit" carriers in their "search for available units" links on their web sites post stuff that isn't theirs. So how do you enforce it? Truck that shows up must have non removable decals of the original carrier contracted for the load?

If the taxi lobby can't win against Uber and the hotel lobby can't win against Air bnb (both industries being undercut by "independent" types who get into a business without following the rules "legit properly licensed/insured" players do) how is TEANA supposed to stomp it out?

I could be wrong..but what's to stop the complete Uberization of all of it? You as a truck owner offer your services directly to a shipper or at least the original 3PL or direct carrier.....instead of it going through a few layers of partner carriers?
Just tossing out ideas to see if anything sticks...