Engine Life

youngsamuel

Seasoned Expediter
I am curious what an 8.3 lt cummins built in 2000 is rated for opposed to how long it will actually last. Given routine maintenence what sort of mileage can it be expected have before any overhaul. I understand there are many variables I am lokking for an average. It is on a Freightliner fl60 with a 24' box

spudhead911

Seasoned Expediter
I am curious what an 8.3 lt cummins built in 2000 is rated for opposed to how long it will actually last. Given routine maintenence what sort of mileage can it be expected have before any overhaul. I understand there are many variables I am lokking for an average. It is on a Freightliner fl60 with a 24' box

I had a 2000 FL70, I bought it new. It had the 8.3 ISC Cummins in it. I had to have a rebuild at 245,000 miles, thank God it was still under warranty. The class 7 engines are supposed to last for 500,000 miles so they say. How many miles you actually get depends on your maintenance, how you drive, speed you drive at, miles you put on the truck per year, if you idle your engine when not on a load or use an APU. And luck.

highway star

Veteran Expediter
Owner/Operator
I know of one that had 800,000+ when it was traded in with no rebuild. I've heard about many others as well. It all depends on the care...