1. EO University Join us at the Holiday Inn Cincinnati North on Thursday, September 17, 2015 for a full 4 hours on expedite trucking information, career information and tips. Learn from professionals how to be successful as an expedite Owner Operator! CLICK HERE to register today!
    Dismiss Notice

Easy way to take off signs?

Discussion in 'Truck Talk' started by JimF51, Aug 30, 2011.

1. JimF51

JimF51 New Recruit

Carrier:
    FedEx
    Just wondering if anyone has found a easy way to take the sign graphics off a truck?

May try doing it myself, vs. paying someone.

Thanks.

2. ts675

ts675 New Recruit

I used Goo gone and a heat gun on a box once worked pretty well.

Posted with my Droid EO Forum App

3. chefdennis

chefdennis New Recruit

Carrier:
    Load 1
    3M makes a Applique / Decal remover in a spray can...spray it on, let it set and "work"...use a vinyl "scrapper to take it off...clean the area with mineral spirits to clean up and remove ant "adhesive" left and then some rubbing compound and then wax....that easy....

Now, that being said, the longer the old decals were on, the bigger PITA it is to get them off...and chances are you will have a "shadow" left as the paint around them faded...

4. fastman_1
    Amused

fastman_1 Veteran Expediter Owner/Operator

3M eraser and a drill works great

5. BillChaffey

BillChaffey Active Expediter

Carrier:
    Red Ball Express
    Go to any paint store and get the paint scraper tool that takes a single edge razor blade. Just start at any corner it will peel off. I used soft nylon sponge and some kind of orange cleaner for the remaining glue.
    Good luck.

6. arrbsthw

arrbsthw New Recruit

Take some hot water and rub the lettering / decals and do this for a few minutes and they should peel right off. That's what my husband did when he took FDX off of our truck and box.

7. leezaback

leezaback New Recruit

Carrier:
    Landstar Express America
    If the sinage is old and cracked-It's a nightmare to remove. We tried the do it yoursel-4 days, $200.00 later, one side done. we hired someone-he went thru 2 ruberized wheels.$600.00.

Note to self "" next time just walk away and hire someone from the get go!
    P.S. carefull-don't want to scratch the paint with razor:

8. Deville
    Pensive

Deville Veteran Expediter

Heat gun is the best way to go. Get some 3m sign remover to go with it & you should be good to go. Sorry to hear you had to spend so much money.

9. Turtle
    Tired

Turtle Administrator Staff Member Owner/Operator

Carrier:
    Load One
    Vehicle:
    2005 Sprinter
    Yep, the people who remove lettering for a living (the outsourced vendors or the people in the shop at a carrier) use a heat gun, then the corner of a plastic scraper (or a fingernail) to lift the edge of the decal and peel back while heating the rest. One the decals are removed, a little Goo Gone or other adhesive remover rubbed onto the residual glue with a rag will take care of it.

10. moose

moose New Recruit

Carrier:
    Tran-Stewart , Megatrux
    If you are trying to remove the Panther logo, then a shotgun or poison will do.
    for the speed limited FedEx logo, simply drive fast.
    if that truck used to be with LandStar, simply drive very slow, give it some time, the stars will pass you by.
    for 3State, place a load in the box, the logo will be so confused it'll fall off.
    for L1, simply go to the boss & tell him you quit, he'll remove them for you.
    for Diamonds, get a new box, those are some hardcore materials they use.

11. TeamCaffee
    Amused

TeamCaffee Administrator Staff Member Owner/Operator

Carrier:
    Landstar Express America
    Vehicle:
    2015 Straight Truck
    This is how we took our FedEx Signs off the old truck and it worked pretty well. We removed the signs when it was very cold (snowing) and without the heat gun we would probably still be working on the lettering. We used the Goo Gone as well and our truck looked really good when we sold it. It was really hard work though and it took the two of us a day to get all of the signs off. Once we got the hang of it the signs came off rather fast and we would take the signs off ourselves again using this method.

12. x06col

x06col Active Expediter Charter Member

Wow'd ya get the shadows off?

13. Dakota

Dakota New Recruit

Carrier:
    I never run, I walk
    Sand blaster, maximum setting:eek:

14. Turtle
    Tired

Turtle Administrator Staff Member Owner/Operator

Carrier:
    Load One
    Vehicle:
    2005 Sprinter
    When you watch someone who does it all the time do it, you see how easy it can be. Doing it yourself, it takes nearly an entire truck for it to get easy. But once you've done it, you're good to go.

On the other hand, I watched a "pro" take my Panther lettering off with a blow torch, and he did fine, but when he let the new guy give it ago, he got a little over zealous and blistered the paint on the passenger door about the side of a silver dollar. Don't use a blow torch people, unless you are a really and truly a pro at it. The line between taking off the lettering and taking off the paint is a fine line indeed with a blow torch. Not so much with a heat gun on a mid-heat setting.

15. Rocketman

Rocketman New Recruit

Quick Answer...There ain't no easy way other than paying someone else. That's easy other than the "pay" part.

There are plenty of ways to do it, most of them mentioned already. But, you will want to put your workin pants on when ya start cause it ain't gonna be "easy"... or fast. It's not a big deal, just takes some time and some elbow grease.

PS: If your really, really upset with your old carrier, seems they come off much faster :D

16. leezaback

leezaback New Recruit

Carrier:
    Landstar Express America
    Tried all the mentioned items plus a wallpaper steamer. lettering on my truck was 10 years old,cracked in million pieces, if I were to put the huge sinage on again, I would remove it sooner and replace it so I wouldn't have to go the the expense. But I solved that problem from ever occuring-no longer a rollin billboard on new truck. Hope the answers you got will help.
    good luck

17. Steady Eddie

Steady Eddie Veteran Expediter Owner/Operator

Carrier:
    Load One
    The only way I've found that was easy, was to take it to a Blue Becon Truck wash. Just tell you want a reg wash....That stuff they use will strip the dimples off a golf ball.

18. TeamCaffee
    Amused

TeamCaffee Administrator Staff Member Owner/Operator

Carrier:
    Landstar Express America
    Vehicle:
    2015 Straight Truck
    We wash our truck approximately once a week and usually at a Blue Beacon and the signs were still there looking good. After six years the signs were just starting to have small hair line cracks in them.

The easiest less pain in your arm and fingers would be to pay to have the signs removed. The easiest way to your pocket book is to become determined and do it yourself. It is not easy and we were sore for a few days.

19. fredb29617

fredb29617 New Recruit

Carrier:
    Allstates Express
    I pealed them off and used WD-40 on the glue took it right off with a little rubbing

20. Bruno

Bruno Active Expediter

Carrier:
    Mayfield Express LLC
    After doing a few trucks when we left our old carrier. We just bought vinyl and covered the box and it looked like a new box. The cost was less than $119 per truck.