Dumbest load offer yet.

layoutshooter

Veteran Expediter
Retired Expediter
We got a real doosey of a load offer today. It was SO STUPID that we just had to laugh. I forget where it picked up and delivered but it paid right about $1 per mile. It was a "D" rate, reefer, 10,000lbs, ONE PIECE and LIFT GATE!!! SURPRISE!! We turned it down!!

We called in to ask that we not get charged for refusing that load, informing the dispatcher that our lift gate could only handle 3500lbs. She said maybe there was a mistake. NO KIDDING!!

I can see this old dude trying to take off ONE PIECE of freight, that weighed 10,000lbs. Using a lift gate and pallet jack. :p

davekc

Senior Moderator
Staff member
Fleet Owner
Since the Fed joined the Alliance/Sylectus it should be popping up for close to $2.00 a mile. Your right. Wonder if someone will catch that one piece @ 10k. Really need a large rail gate for that kind of weight.

layoutshooter

Veteran Expediter
Retired Expediter
Since the Fed joined the Alliance/Sylectus it should be popping up for close to $2.00 a mile. Your right. Wonder if someone will catch that one piece @ 10k. Really need a large rail gate for that kind of weight.

And a whole bunch of MUCH younger and better in shape guys to pull it off the truck. I am WAY TOO old for that kind of silly stuff!!!

greg334

Veteran Expediter
Just a pet peeve, the word is duesy, not doosy.

Sorry Layout just driving me up a wall when I see that word. It is worst when it is in a headline or newspaper.

layoutshooter

Veteran Expediter
Retired Expediter

Sorry Layout just driving me up a wall when I see that word. It is worst when it is in a headline or newspaper.

I just guessed at it, I had NO idea!! It was a REAL DUESY to say the least!! Why does "duesy" show up in here as being misspelled?
:confused:

greg334

Veteran Expediter
I just guessed at it, I had NO idea!! It was a REAL DUESY to say the least!! Why does "duesy" show up in here as being misspelled?
:confused:

Because it is one of them things that just does.

To give a bit of background, the word comes seems to come from a source as Dosy back near the turn of the century possibly derived form the use of Daisy but it was the Duesenberg ad in 1928/9 that actually started a revival of the word (spelled Duesy) into the depression era. It seemed to show up a lot after that in different ways spelled with the 'ue'.

layoutshooter

Veteran Expediter
Retired Expediter
Because it is one of them things that just does.

To give a bit of background, the word comes seems to come from a source as Dosy back near the turn of the century possibly derived form the use of Daisy but it was the Duesenberg ad in 1928/9 that actually started a revival of the word (spelled Duesy) into the depression era. It seemed to show up a lot after that in different ways spelled with the 'ue'.

Got it. It does not show up in Word either.

AMonger

Veteran Expediter

Uh, not so fast...

The origin of the American slang word "doozy", meaning something excellent or powerful, is either the Duesenberg's nickname, "Duesy", or an older term (derived from earlier slang, "daisy"). Encarta.com[26] describes the origins of the term as unknown, and dictionary.com lists it as possibly a blend of the terms "daisy" and "Duesenberg". Etymonline.com lists it as "1903 (adj.), 1916 (n.), perhaps an alteration of daisy, or from popular Italian actress Eleonora Duse (1859–1924). In either case, reinforced by Duesenberg, an expensive, classy make of automobile, 1920s–30s."
However, Merriam-Webster completely rejects this theory, noting doozy originally appeared as "dozy" in eastern Ohio in 1916, four years prior to the production of the Duesenberg. They also claim there is little evidence connecting the Duesenberg and "doozy" during the 1920's and 1930's, when the car was most popular.

greg334

Veteran Expediter
Ah not so fast, Wiki doesn't include nor mention the ad nor mention the use of the word in comics and in language of the day.

TO be exact this article on the car has a few issues with some of the facts involve, a couple which are not actually true.

cheri1122

Veteran Expediter
Driver
Yeah,and while you are at it make sure that you spell EVERY word correctly.:rolleyes:
If this was easier,it wouldn't be so hard.Yogi Berra
member of 1.5k posts club.

Well, can't say you weren't warned!

Greg: you have used worst for worse probably a million times, and no one ever mentioned it before.....:D
BTW: I've always seen the word spelled as doozy - but since it's slang, I don't know if there is a 'correct' spelling.

Doggie Daddy

Veteran Expediter
Yesterday at delivery, the consignee immediatly jumped down my throat because the 12 drums of paint that we brought them were not on pallets.

I can understand him being upset that the freight was not configured as to how they like to accept it, but when he got to the part where it was up to me to wrestle these 450# monsters on to the skids,that is where I drew the line as far as his rant to me.

I let him know that there was no way I was going to even attempt something like that,and was going out to the truck to call fedex to see how they wanted me to proceed.

10 minutes later he comes out to the truck saying that they are going to unload us,and lo and behold,a towmotor with a barrel lift magically appears on the dock.:mad:

I wonder how many times that they have gotten drivers to actually do this while laughing at them behind their backs.

greg334

Veteran Expediter
I got it, thanks for pointing that out. I won't go into why I am not the best speller or my gramikal is not right. A lot of things I write go past someone who corrects that for me.

As for telling people about their spelling, I try not to even go there but that one word seems to be a sore point with me. The UE version was beaten into us in college when it came to writing period lit.

ATeam

Retired Expediter
Yesterday at delivery, the consignee immediatly jumped down my throat because the 12 drums of paint that we brought them were not on pallets.

I can understand him being upset that the freight was not configured as to how they like to accept it, but when he got to the part where it was up to me to wrestle these 450# monsters on to the skids,that is where I drew the line as far as his rant to me.

I let him know that there was no way I was going to even attempt something like that,and was going out to the truck to call fedex to see how they wanted me to proceed.

10 minutes later he comes out to the truck saying that they are going to unload us,and lo and behold,a towmotor with a barrel lift magically appears on the dock.:mad:

I wonder how many times that they have gotten drivers to actually do this while laughing at them behind their backs.

We had a similar situation with four 55 gal drums and the same result. As critical as we sometimes get about dispatch, let's also remember that there are many times when it is nothing less than wonderful to have dispatchers like ours backing us up.

Good job handling this difficult customer service situation in a professional manner. Wise dispatchers will note that it is nothing less than wonderful to have contractors like you backing them up.

Last edited: