DT466E Fuel injector R/R Time Looking for tips.

BobWolf

Veteran Expediter
Owner/Operator
:confused:
Looks like I might have a lazy or bad injector So if Im going to R/R the injectors I was wondering if there is a better animal than stock hydrolic electronic injector.
2003 international 4300 2003 model year 2002 build date on the motor no E.G.R. no smog controlls apx 325,000 original on the clock started its life as a rental Ive had it for four and a half years

Not looking to enter the N.H.R.A. but want that little extra when I hit the on ramp or hill. Of corse dont we all.

other than time consuming, how dificult is changing injectors.
Plan to have the work done or do it myself this weekend or next week.

Anyway, any advice is good.

Thanks.
Bob Wolf

Last edited:

RETIDEPXE

Veteran Expediter
If you are mechanically inclined, change or clean your injectors yourself. I knew nothing about pulling inj on my Cat when I started, googled and read enough online and asked a couple questions on justanswers.com, now pulling them out on a regular basis just to clean the carbon off the tips. The other day I replaced the injector sleeves myself after the fuel and coolant were mixing, turns out just the o-rings were shot in one sleeve according to a pressure leak down test. Used homemade tools and used all Cat original parts, $565 total spent. I also do my own overheads. I like to avoid shop comments like, "you have a cracked head, est., $4995.oo installed" when all it needs is an o-ring.

You might find cleaning the tips on your injectors may give you the extra power you are looking for. I bought a magnifying glass stand at Harbor Freight that was made for soldering and such, set it up on the edge of the desk and you can clearly see the inj tips and nozzle holes. Take a razor blade and scrape the carbon away from the holes and blow out the nozzles good. My bet is you'll find more then a few completely clogged. Maybe worth a try. Be sure and use new o-rings. I don't know your particular motor, but how different can it be? Good Luck.

BobWolf

Veteran Expediter
Owner/Operator
Thanks for the reply,
From what I found theyre mostly time consuming as the valve cover and fuel rail should come off and suction out fuel and oil so I dont lock up the head. If I can avoid 2 grand for injectors its worth an evening or two.

Injector seals do you use OEM or aftermarket and how often do you clean em?

Refer Hauler

Expert Expediter
For performance mods Google "tractor pullers " as some of the smaller pulling tractors use the 466. ( which was a farm tractor engine before it was a truck engine) You can also get performance chips for these engines also.

RETIDEPXE

Veteran Expediter
Injector seals do you use OEM or aftermarket and how often do you clean em?[/QUOTE]

I'd stick with OEM, more likely to get the correct ones. I have been cleaning the inj tips roughly every 125,000 miles or so, may do it sooner as my truck is starting to use some oil with 730k on the clock. I have never heard of anyone doing this so I suppose it is not considered common practice, but, during a previous life playing with hotrods, a clean "interior" combustion always seemed to run better, or at least I thought so. When I found a few of the nozzle holes completely covered with carbon, only detectable under a magnifying glass, and the engine ran a bit smoother and cranked faster after a manual cleaning, and mpg increased, I am confident of the results. I also know injectors do wear out, and that case, time for remans.

SHARP327

Veteran Expediter
Too bad you can't claim your labor on your taxes! and also receive a warranty...

It makes me feel good to fix problems on my truck and I'm always tinkering with stuff to keep it in good running order but some things are to be done by my mechanic...come tax time I'll need all those deductions anyway.