Double Clutch or Not?

piper1

Veteran Expediter
Owner/Operator
Wow, been a while since I heard of a PS Spicer. I'm definitely wrong then.

A KW 2120? I got a research project on my hands now! You make me think more than my wife......not thinkin this is a good thing.

brann524

Seasoned Expediter
Broom,

Do you think I can take off in 3rd gear when fully loaded? Eaton says that will potentially destroy the tranny. I will have the MBE 330 Hp motor 1000lb torque 10 speed eaton fuller. When fully loaded will be looking at probably 25000-30000 lbs of weight. Not to doubt you or your experience. How long have you stared off in that high a gear? What are your average load weights? I'm gona give it a try, thanks

Learn to Float em, not gona hurt anything and one will also pick up more MPG.

I float up and down, it takes a while to learn this, just a little push on the accelerator and it comes right out of gear if not your going to fast for that gear anyway example 35mph for 8th for that 10 speed should be top of the line for that grear time to float out of 8th and into 9th 32-35mph should be your range with rpms at 1,500 thats the secret right up to 1,500 and go up, going down when you drop to 1,150 or 1,080 thats when you float back to a lower gear give the accelerator a little goose and it should come right out than down shift. Accelerate the RPMs to match the speed while downshifting and she will slip right into the lower gear for you. Sounds easier than done but once you learn this it makes driving a 10 speed enjoyable instead of fighting it all of the time.

After a while and some gear grinding aint gona do enough damage so beware your gona do it but it makes the drive train easier to adjust no bounciing or rocking the truck no racing to next light thus improving your MPG. If you have always been the first away from the light than your not Float N em and your paying $ for the privledge of being first at the next light while I am coasting and timming the next light to change so I try to never come to a stop at the next intersection. It takes lots of fuel to get a truck to get up and go from 0-5mph vs 6mph to up shifting into 4th.

Take off always in 3rd gear with full load maybee 4th in a Straight Truck. While I am light or empty I can pull away in 4th or 5th loaded 3rd.

Hope this helps.

Moot

Veteran Expediter
Owner/Operator
Most transmission manufacturers add all those extra gears and gizmos to increase their profit margins. Same reason the truck manufacturers add all those silly gauges. Sure its cool looking, but totally worthless dude!. Also the numbers assigned are not sequential. Start out in any flippn' gear you like. Especially if you don't own the truck!

No sense starting out in first gear to get it rolling. You just have to shift right away. What a pain that can be! Lug the snot out of it. It will pick it self up. Caution: Always ignore the pyrometer when lugging the engine.

What do you think the words "heavy duty" mean. That driveline can handle anything you throw at it. And if it doesn't I'm sure your company or fleet owner will buy you a new truck.

Reactions: 1 person

greg334

Veteran Expediter
I don't know about that...... I was always told to start out low as possible to save your clutch. I think it is cheaper to start out in lower gears than to pay for a clutch...... but that's me.

In my little junky truck, I start out in 2 and try to let the clutch out around 900 rpm, letting the electronics do the work. I shift progressively (or try to) though the gears and that does not mean I shift them in order.

Moot

Veteran Expediter
Owner/Operator
Okay. I give up. I'm going to bring up a game of Scrabble on my computer and spend the rest of the morning talking to the nice people at Panther. Then I am going to stick a pencil in my eye. Later!

Broompilot

Veteran Expediter
75,000 LBS. I run out of Second Gear at about 3mph thats to short so its been 3rd gear all the time. The other thing I noticed since writing in this post is when I am light I only run the rpms to 1,300 than shift it goes in much easier while light than by going to 1,500 so I want to thank you for making me think about what I was acutally doing otherwise I do not know if I would have paid that close attention in the last week.

Loaded I am still going to 1,450 or 1,500 above that its just to hard to get it out of gear.