Don't throw away your paper maps!

TeamCaffee

Administrator
Staff member
Owner/Operator
I am not a pack rat and more then once I have tried to throw away our huge carriers atlas as we do not use it often. We rely on our GPS and the computer to find where are going. Bob catches me every time I try to throw out the atlas and he puts it back in the closet.

Well during the aftermath of Hurricane Matthew his point was proven. We need to get out to the coast and many of the roads were under water. Our GPS did not recognize that the roads were impassible and it was quickly apparent that the easiest way to get around was to use the paper map.

We were able to route the long way around and avoid the impassable roads to get into Wilmington, NC using the atlas. So lesson learned do not throw away the paper maps!

TeamPaul

Expert Expediter
Researching
Also, upgrading (replacing) a paper map every other year is not a bad option either. We are rather partial to the laminate version.

Reactions: DollarSign

ATeam

Retired Expediter
So if you had thrown away your paper maps, are you saying you would have never been able to figure out how to get where you wanted to go? Sure, paper maps can be a quick and easy fall-back if the usual technology comes up short, but paper maps do not tell you which roads are impassable either.

You sell yourself short by suggesting that you cannot operate or innovate without paper maps.

Turtle

Administrator
Staff member
Retired Expediter
but paper maps do not tell you which roads are impassable either.
Exactly. You can certainly plot a route the long way around and avoid the impassable roads with paper maps, but you can do do the same thing with a GPS and Google Maps.

But old habits, and security blankets, die hard. There are a lot of people who can't, or refuse, to throw away their paper maps. Nothing wrong with that. I say use whatever tools are available to you and that you're comfortable with.

But yeah, listen to Bob.

ATeam

Retired Expediter
This supports my chief belief. PAPER NEVER CRASHES

Paper may never crash but it does burn, be damaged or destroyed if flooded and may blow away. We were served a stark reminder of that last month when Hurricane Matthew paid us a visit. Diane and I left behind a store of paper records while evacuating to protect our lives. Our house survived and the records remained but a fire at any time could be equally harmful to paper. In recent years, our vital records have been placed in the cloud and backed up on local devices. Older records that are on paper only remain at risk.

DollarSign

Fleet Owner
Owner/Operator
Also, upgrading (replacing) a paper map every other year is not a bad option either. We are rather partial to the laminate version.
I get the laminate version every three years. Also I don't use it much either, but if I do its there.

Moot

Veteran Expediter
Owner/Operator
I use both; a GPS and paper maps. I buy a new Rand McNally Road Atlas about every year. I like paper maps for a larger, more detailed overview. I also use Google Maps and PCmiler.

BobWolf

Veteran Expediter
Owner/Operator
Not saying modern electronics don't have a place especially when it comes to records just people have become way too dependent on them.

TeamCaffee

Administrator
Staff member
Owner/Operator
There are always options but in the situation we were in the quickest way to see the route was to look at a paper map and it worked great after we wiped the dust off of it...

Jared Crenshaw

New Recruit
It's great to hear folks talk about paper maps. Younger generations may never have to see or use them. To most they'll be a relic, but definitely have some practical use.

Reactions: Moot

Moot

Veteran Expediter
Owner/Operator
I've always been fascinated with paper maps. As a Cub Scout I got a merit badge or something for having a collection. My collection was road maps. I wish I still had those old maps. I do still have a 1978 Rand McNally, Allied Van Lines version I got at an AVL training session. Inside the front cover is a multi-page fold out thing containing an abbreviated Household Guide Mileage chart. I enjoy looking back in time at roads that were once two lane and are now four lane and four lanes that are now interstates. I would hope that current digital maps get archived for future generations to enjoy.
Atlas.JPG

Dallen323

Seasoned Expediter
Driver
Always use my paper map to check for restricted routes and low clearances if it's somewhere off the beaten path. Also there is alot of useful information like bridge laws broken down by state .