Does low paying loads affect you're attitude/work ethic?.

guido4475

Not a Member
I was wondering as I drove through the night and was listening to a few drivers talk on the c.b. about rates, and how inconsistent they are, when one driver chimed in, and said, "if they want expedite service, they'd better pay me for it"...another added, " they are going to get the kind of service their rate paid for"....if just got me thinking, and kind of curious how others felt, if any are willing to add to this..

JohnWC

Veteran Expediter
Been a pain people bidding 0.40 a mile all in
Spent 5 days in Houston finely grabed one for 0.70

Greg

Veteran Expediter
Owner/Operator
For me, the level of service I provide is consistent. Always trying to give the best possible service I can provide. As for rates, if I'm not willing to haul for the rate offered, I'll pass on it. If I run for a lesser rate, the service I provide will not be less than the best I can provide. Your level of service should not go down with rates, if the rate is so low that you consider doing less than your best, you probably shouldn't take the load.

ATeam

Retired Expediter
Diane and I never varied our service level with the price of a load. Freight on our truck was always well treated and we always did everything possible to pick up and deliver as scheduled.

We never once accepted a load that we did not ourselves choose to accept. If a load was on our truck that payed low, it was there because we accepted it for reasons that made sense at the time. If there were complaints to be made about a low-paying load, they would be about the drivers who accepted that load.

That's not to say we did not complain about a scarcity of high-paying loads from time to time, but that is a complaint of a different sort.

OntarioVanMan

Retired Expediter
Owner/Operator
I am with Roamin.....If brokers and carriers want to lower their standards I am not getting dragged into the gutter with them...but it is sure is tempting at times to give them the service they pay for....If I get to unload early it benefits me.
That said....I have tightened up the forgiveness on some issues....10 minutes of wait time...I want it....hand unload: I am on it....15 minutes late leaving the loading area: I want the time adjusted....

Reactions: ntimevan and Greg

Mailer

Veteran Expediter
Owner/Operator
I was wondering as I drove through the night and was listening to a few drivers talk on the c.b. about rates, and how inconsistent they are, when one driver chimed in, and said, "if they want expedite service, they'd better pay me for it"...another added, " they are going to get the kind of service their rate paid for"....if just got me thinking, and kind of curious how others felt, if any are willing to add to this..

No Sir.

Long, long time ago, not knowing any better, I used to practice "It's all about me first" syndrome. Didn't go very far in life. A quick attitude adjustment changed all that. Lol..

For me, whatever's the rates we agreed upon, I will always give the same best services. And for the added bonus, I will throw in the DH miles too, for free!

Lol...Don't forget to calculate you DH miles into the rates.

Turtle

Administrator
Staff member
Retired Expediter
Do low paying loads affect my attitude? Yes. Do low paying loads affect my work ethic? No.

Regardless of the rate, if I accept the load my work ethic tells me to do the job I was contracted to do, and I will. Like Xiggi said, if you accept the load you run it like any other load.

However, my attitude changes with the rate, as with OVM I become less forgiving with certain issues. For example, $1.00 a mile may get you some free hand unload service, $1.30 a mile almost definitely will, but $0.70 a mile will most definitely not. I won't run the speed limit to deliver a load 3 or 4 hours early, and take the corresponding fuel economy hit, at 70 cents a mile, but I might at $1.00 or more a mile. It's the "above and beyond" level of service that changes with the rate.

guido4475

Not a Member
For me, the level of service I provide is consistent. Always trying to give the best possible service I can provide. As for rates, if I'm not willing to haul for the rate offered, I'll pass on it. If I run for a lesser rate, the service I provide will not be less than the best I can provide. Your level of service should not go down with rates, if the rate is so low that you consider doing less than your best, you probably shouldn't take the load.
Excellent outlook.

Reactions: Greg

xmudman

Veteran Expediter
Owner/Operator
However, my attitude changes with the rate....I won't run the speed limit to deliver a load 3 or 4 hours early, and take the corresponding fuel economy hit, at 70 cents a mile, but I might at $1.00 or more a mile. It's the "above and beyond" level of service that changes with the rate.

Exactly! Low means slow ;)

geo

Veteran Expediter
Charter Member
Retired Expediter
US Navy
I have taken loads that were discount some, but made money up at loading dock, going to one of my favor it places is Walmart as they are always slow, pick up 3 or 4 hours of d time
one Walmart in Mt Crawford Va, I don't like there to fast , they get you in out less than 30 minutes
if they want inside del there is charge for that, going up above 1st floor there is a charge for that to
so there other way's to make load pay
and always give them 1st class services