Dock Height?

Jayman

Expert Expediter
How much trouble do you van guys/gals have loading and unloading since your not dock height? (I may consider something smaller than D unit) But, if I buy a cube van or something...I will have to find a way to carry all my junk. I pack everything but the kitchen sink when I travel. :7

highway star

Veteran Expediter
Owner/Operator
I have had to break down skids and put the boxes on a dock from time to time. I've heard of people being sent to a place with a big bin and no ground level door. The vast majority of the time there is no problem. If you get a van you will learn to travel a bit lighter.

cheri1122

Veteran Expediter
Driver
I have had to take the top layer of boxes off a skid, placing them around it after it's loaded, & once I took a large box off the skid to make it fit - sometimes you just have to get creative - making sure that everything is well secured, no matter how you have to load it. I've placed boxes on my bed, too, once or twice - whatever works, lol.
Like Highway Star said, most of the time, all parties concerned are aware that cargo vans aren't dock height, so it isn't a problem.

Moot

Veteran Expediter
Owner/Operator
I carry a 12'chain, a pair of pallet tongs and a nylon tow strap. If it will fit into my van, it will come out.

Moot

Veteran Expediter
Owner/Operator
Thanks guys. Nice tongs. My what sharp teeth they have. How come I can only post pictures via an attachment?

FIS53

Veteran Expediter
For the most part not a lot of trouble. Many places have a ground level or drive in door. Most skids come off as a skid.
However there are those jobs where you have to handbomb, both ends. If your in a dock then the hand bombing isn't too bad usually. Larger items pose some problems, but if your prepared you can get around most problems.
I carry chains and straps etc that i use to get items off with. For heavy motors I can usually get the receiver to lift the motor at the rear of the van by the chains (using the eye bolt on the top of it) then I drive ahead and the motor can then be lifted to the dock. Not everyone will do that though.
Jobs I don't like are the ones I have to carry from the road or other such distance. Carrying 60lb boxes from the street is a little tiring after 40 of them!
Rob Fis