Do you think expediting for cargo vans is slowing

Falligator

Expert Expediter
I know this topic has probably been covered over the years several times over, but my question to everyone is. Do you find it harder and harder to get loads or am I on my own out here?? I have only been driving a cargo van since 1/06 and an o/o since 1/07, but in a year and a half's time I have noticed that the frequencey of load offers has not been as abundant as in the past. I've been doing the same routine but changing things around a bit to keep pace with the ever changing conditions. I see the market is in turmoil and wonder if this has anything to do with us and then see the president talking about how great the economy is. Is this really the busy season?

ShawnF
O/O

OntarioVanMan

Retired Expediter
Owner/Operator
RE: Do you think expediting for cargo vans is slow

I think with the advent of the Sprinter class which adds another predator to the food chain with CV's at the bottom....I also think we'll see a thinning of the herd so to speak...Time will tell...

ATeam

Retired Expediter

>I know this topic has probably been covered over the years
>several times over, but my question to everyone is. Do you
>find it harder and harder to get loads or am I on my own out
>here?? I have only been driving a cargo van since 1/06 and
>an o/o since 1/07, but in a year and a half's time I have
>noticed that the frequencey of load offers has not been as
>abundant as in the past. I've been doing the same routine
>but changing things around a bit to keep pace with the ever
>changing conditions. I see the market is in turmoil and
>wonder if this has anything to do with us and then see the
>president talking about how great the economy is. Is this
>really the busy season?
>
>ShawnF
>O/O

I know very little about cargo van expediting but I can comment on the economy. The president, the Federal Reserve Bank, and other government agencies are all less powerful than the economy. They can make certain policy decisions and take certain actions that can nudge the economy a bit in one direction or another, accelerate or decelerate the economy a bit, or jawbone the markets for a while. But the economy itself will not bend to such tings for long. Like the weather, it is going to do what it will do.

Since before the United States became the United States, economic cycles have done their thing. Individuals can financially prosper or fail as these cycles progress, depending on the actions they take. It's not about what the economy is doing for you. It's about what you are doing for yourself.

For more about economic cycles, see:

http://www.expeditersonline.com/dcforum/DCForumID1/6118.html

I do not believe we are in a recession now, but I think you can see it from here. Diane and I are preparing for slow economic times and long waits for freight.

Packmule

Expert Expediter

Shawn,

Coming from a straight truck into Van, I have had the same thoughts. We ran very well in the straight truck for 2 1/2 years and after a 6 month departure from the Expediting industry,Stepping down to a van and changing Carriers, I was surprised at the difference in load availability.
After 7 months I am pleased with my decision after researching with others in both Vans and Straight trucks and a variety of carriers. I find across the board most are not doing as well as they were a year ago and definitely worst than two years ago. This is not 100% true as some have shown an increase in loads and income. But they are the exception not the normal.

My opinion is there will always be a market for van freight. But as OVM pointed out the Sprinter Class vans are creating somewhat of a challenge within the van (B) class, which also can present a challange for some "C" rated freight to some staight trucks because of the ability to carry 3 pallets, more weight, and taller freight than a standard Cargo van.

I have been on a roller coaster ride as for as freight load offers these past months. I have had some months that rivaled some good months that we had in the straight truck, with the next month leaving me wondering what happened.

My plan is to run smart, maximise availablity, keep a tight budget, and ride the storm until things change or level out.

Personally, I feel that this is a business you have to love what you are doing or you are in the wrong business. To me there are many more positives in what I do in comparison to other occupations, that mean more to me than just the amount of money I can make. Not to say that I do not desire to make the maximum income possible that I can generate, it just makes me want to plant my feet more firmly to ride out the storm.

Hang in there,
Danny

dhalltoyo

Veteran Expediter

I thought about switching to a Sprinter or Unicell, but the carrier (one in the top 5) I was with advised against spending the additional money to make such a change.

They said that their van freight was based upon the standard cargo van and their regular customers have adapted their pallet loads based upon the 48" cube. They have built "B" unit freight around the standard cargo van.

The van freight seems steady, but the number of available units fluctuates greatly. Many folks get into van operations looking for something other than a full-time job. After about 6 months the lack of consistent home time causes them to get out of expediting. Most van O/O's come from employment that allowed them to be at home every night. 10-20-30 years of being home every night makes it very difficult to adjust to the "on-the-road" life of an expediter; therefore, one month there will be 150 vans in the fleet and 30 days later there will be 185-200. The cycle just repeats itself.

greg334

Veteran Expediter

There are more factors involved with the slowing of van freight than the type of van.

As much as I want to concede the sprinter is a great tool for bulk, I can not with the weight issue, which has been clearly debatable here on EO and some make it out as the vehicle that comes out top all the time, which is not true. I think that the sprinter has impacted the C unit freight more than the van freight, the length of some items come into play here as does three pallets opposed to the van’s standard two but again some companies will cram as much on to a sprinter in both weight and bulk without even considering safety.

The other factor involved is competition, not competition with between the vans themselves but the companies and the people within the company. I mean FedEx was at one time the only game in town but now there are thousands of companies who have been competing for that one piece of freight. They bid on it, they undercut the competition and they work on small margins to get that last penny. They in turn have to cover markets, like NYC or Toledo or where ever, put on as many vehicles to cover the markets (a lot of things that people don’t think about, like availability is usually 65% at any given time for the fleet) and be competitive with other companies all at the same time. Depending on their business model, they may not care about the vans and use them as ‘filler’ to keep things moving when needed.

The other factor in this picture is money. The money is not in the smaller shipments for these small companies, it is in the larger shipments but as many have experienced, a company will make up it’s ‘loss’ by getting multiple shipments to put on the van. The larger companies (as I have said before) can incur a ‘loss’ with thinner margins than can the smaller companies and in some cases underbid the freight to move the van so to make something.

But again with my morning rambling, I may be wrong about the entire thing, seeing I do take B freight often.

redytrk

Veteran Expediter
Charter Member

Another reason...There is always a "Glut"of vans with most companies.
Vans are easier for the first timer to buy. Vans are preferred for their manuverablity,and freedom from logs and scales.

Many companies will sign them on knowing they really do not have the business levels to keep them busy. (What do they have to lose?)

Trucks would suffer more if they were as plentiful as van operators. Even that is changing fast with all of the downsized and out-the-door factory workers with their 401K and buy out packages.

FireGears

Expert Expediter

Many companies will sign them on knowing they really do not have the business levels to keep them busy. (What do they have to lose?)
Very true..!!!!

You think it's slow for vans now...
Wait till "big brown"
starts running at full strength
in this portion of our industry ...

STAY FROSTY .. :+ :+

plus ...

60MPH

Expert Expediter

They make money on all of us weather we work or sit, we still pay for trippak and QC if you have one in your truck, not to mention if you get your phy. damage ins. and workmen's comp through them thats even more they get. I know with TS it's 4 dollars a week for trippak muiltiple it by all the trucks in the fleet and it's a heafty sum of money. I don't know how much trippak charges for there service but I don't think it would be more than 1000.00 dollars a week. They were making 37.00 a month on my phy. damage ins. so I called the policy holded myself and said I will pay you directly and the price went down 37.00 a month. I asked them why was I charged more for the same coverage and vehicle and they said that's the rate we have with TS. I COULD NOT BELIVE IT!!! I also went with ooida for my workmen's comp, yes it's a litte more but the coverage is better. And yes I think cargo van freight is slowing I actually am doing better than last year, but last year I was with a different carrier and that's another story for another day

60 MPH ALL DAY-EVERY DAY

geo

Veteran Expediter
Charter Member
Retired Expediter
US Navy

i think the sprinter is so great getting a new one tomorrow and will have it on road and with the roller in place to
new ones are so much better
long live the sprinter

P

Panther2884

plain and simple yes it is very slow for vans. I use to get out every day from my home location now its 1 or 2 loads a week. everything went down hill when i sold my sprinter but the maintance and finding someone to work on it was just costing me alot of money but when I was on the road with it and it was not broke down i did very well. now im a fleet owner of 4 vans and were all doing slow/ up to this point,

fastman_1

Veteran Expediter
Owner/Operator

Well the Loads are still there, It's Just there is More vans Competing for them, The Sprinter Has nothing to do with Taking "B" Freight, They take van Loads all day where they Shine is with the small "c" Loads. Everytime a Plant shuts down or somebody retires they go Buy a Van and hit the road, But if you can hold on long enough the Herd will thin and we will be Busy again.

Owner/Operator since 1979
Expediter since 1997
B Unit Semi Retired
Somedays are Diamonds and Somedays are Stones
Home is Wherever you Park.
The Price of Freedom is Written on the Wall.

LDB

Veteran Expediter
Retired Expediter

I suspect it will pick up some in a year or two when logs become mandatory for vans. A lot will quit vans for straight trucks or other work when that happens and those remaining will split the work.

Leo Bricker, 73's K5LDB
OOIDA Life Member 677319, JOIN NOW
Owner, Panther trucks 5508, 5509, 5641
EO Forum Moderator
----------
Support the entire Constitution, not just the parts you like.

greg334

Veteran Expediter

Leo,
Don't mean to sound stupid but how long has this been the talk in the transportation industry?

I think that there will be backlash politically from companies who for the most part depend on smaller vehicles to deliver, including the USPS. This is why I have doubted this move.

hondaking38

Veteran Expediter

sprinter van grand rapids board 5 days no load acceptance is 92% dont go to canada though, basically after 2 years ive about ready to throw in the towel however have a friend who after today will have 1700 miles for the week

The Enemy

Veteran Expediter

I run a Sprinter as well. I have noticed that the van market has slowed down a bit, but I'm still doing good. I mean I'll have my weeks where I am slow but then I have weeks where I get 7-8 loads. The thing I do, and a lot of others won't do, is take the shorter loads. For instance last week I had 8 loads, the longest load was about 450 mi, the shortest was 175 mi. Now you figure that out, even though they are not "GREAT" loads I still run them and make my money, while others just sit there at the truck stop and complain about not getting any "great" loads.

Since buying the sprinter I have also noticed that I get offered a little heavier loads. While I will not load more than 3K lbs in the van I will take them. The reason I get offered theses is because there is no "C" unit around to take the load. But when I take a C load I will ask for C rate, no C rate then I'm not going to accept it.

LDB

Veteran Expediter
Retired Expediter

The USPS would fall in the within 100 miles of the terminal ruling I suspect and if not the government will just exempt them. This is just my gut feeling about it and is probably just as wrong as it was many other times.

Leo Bricker, 73's K5LDB
OOIDA Life Member 677319, JOIN NOW
Owner, Panther trucks 5508, 5509, 5641
EO Forum Moderator
----------
Support the entire Constitution, not just the parts you like.

buckeyewildman

Seasoned Expediter

regarding log books for van been the ruomor for years and i mean for the last 6-7 years don,t believe it will happen

kangar0085

Seasoned Expediter

There will always be more freight availability for tractors and s/t's but my van has been running hard and I have no complaints.

highway star

Veteran Expediter
Owner/Operator

I agree. I've been in this almost 9 years and there have been people saying that it's right around the corner the whole time. With HOS being a big issue the last few years, and a significant number of years that vans have been involved in expediting to draw statistics from, if it was going to be an issue I think we would have seen it when HOS was revamped.

Of course, I could be wrong...