Do you really need a hazmat endorsement?

cheri1122

Veteran Expediter
Driver
My point was that hazmat is higher risk if an accident occurs, and not even the most careful driver can eliminate the possibility.
I agree about the Smith System, but Drivers Education was one of the first victims of budget constraints - it just isn't that important, apparently.
Not like, say, football, right? :rolleyes:

beachbum

Veteran Expediter
Owner/Operator
Greg, I did the smith system one time when I drove a big truck for JB Hunt. I thought it was one of the dumbest things I ever did to hire on to a company.

Some of the things it was wanting you to do is drive in the second lane from the right even thou you were driving under the speed limit, stopping 15 feet before the white line whether it was a signal or a stop sign not smart in my book. most of the other things were just common since things you learned in a car.

purgoose10

Veteran Expediter
Even if you never use it the companies you deal with will hire you faster and above someone who doesn't have it. It's not just that you have a Hazmat endorsement but you also helped them with a background check.

BobWolf

Veteran Expediter
Owner/Operator
Too much money and a pain in the *** to get it from D.M.V. for loads shippers and brokers dont want to pay enough to haul unless you haul it allot and get paid top dollar to pull it. As for the comment of helping the shippers or brokers do thier job with back ground checks they should do the leg work thats why they get a commision of twenty to fourty percent that we drivers should get in the first place.

greg334

Veteran Expediter
So here is the thing, how much does it cost?

$125 and some time?

Take that over the four or five yours your license is good for, and that's $25 a year?

As far as the Smith system, it actually helps. Sorry if it didn't help you but I know many do need lessons on how to drive other than tailgating and then running into the back of a truck or car because they didn't have a way out.