Do Tag axle and Lift gate allow LTL type loads?

OldAirFreightDog

Rookie Expediter
Researching
US Air Force
I've read the 2011 threads on these two items and maybe LayoutShooter and Team Caffee can update their experiences. .........along with anyone else who has an opinion..........please.

In an O/O operation with a used truck, negating the FET questions, is there specific information on how additional loads can be garnered with, specifically, the tag axle.
I'm not so much concerned about rates as I am interested in the additional amount of work/loads presented.
Do certain carrier's Expedite divisions dispatchers also look for LTL type loads for the expediter straight trucks that can handle the weights? Who might those carriers be?

Thanks

Moot

Veteran Expediter
Owner/Operator
When you sign on with a carrier they will want the GVWR of your truck plus a scale ticket showing empty weight. An extra axle will increase your GVWR.

OldAirFreightDog

Rookie Expediter
Researching
US Air Force
Thanks Moot. I understand.........and I would hope that extra "load capacity" difference between the empty weight and GVWR would allow the dispatcher to dig up additional loads.
I see non reefer trucks single axles for sale with 9500# capacities and non reefer dual axle listings that range up into the high 20K or higher .
I also see on YouTube a FedEx TVAL team in their new 2016 single axle setup (which was bought that way by their owner to save on FET) with apparently only a 3500# capacity........and they seem to have to contend with only the lighter pharmaceutical loads...................when available.
I would think even paying the additional taxes on the tag axles and lift gates would be worth it............IF the additional load can be generated by one's Carrier...........instead of all the "sitting" that's going on..........which is where that nice 103" sleeper becomes valuable. Ha.

OldAirFreightDog

Rookie Expediter
Researching
US Air Force
My other contention is: running Solo I would hope to be attractive to quasi "LTL" type loads that are not "expedite" with the tag axle-lift gate configuration.

So, I'm asking if some expediter outfit dispatchers actually hunt for heavier LTL type loads if they have an expediter truck leased on that can handle the higher weights. I'm defining an LTL load as one that doesn't have to be there ASAP or simply not flagged as "expedite". Even if the rate was slightly lower than expedite, if it met one's profitable rate threshold, then it seems those "extra" load availabilites would be attractive and justify the extra cost and maintenance of running dual axle-lift gate.

Last edited:

Turtle

Administrator
Staff member
Retired Expediter
LTL type loads aren't heavier or lighter, they're simply less-than-truckload. I've hauled in my Sprinter many LTL loads picked up right at an LTL terminal. Didn't need a tag axle for any of them. ;)

In an expedited straight truck you'll certainly have plenty of opportunities to haul LTL type loads as defined by not having to be there ASAP and not flagged as "expedite" as long as you're willing to run them for LTL rates. But LTL rates are very, very rarely "slightly lower than" expedite rates, they are usually significantly lower than expedite rates, which makes them fall well under one's profitable rate threshold for an expediter truck. LTL carriers put 20 or 30 loads on a single pup trailer, with all of those loads combined to total up to a rate that makes it profitable, a rate that's about the same as an expedite rate per-trailer load. You divide those loads by 20 or 30 and you'll quickly see that hauling an LTL type load in a straight truck is gonna require just a snotload of simultaneous loads to reach any kind of profitable threshold.