Did he fear for his life?

JohnWC

Veteran Expediter
Don't know But he did ask her to leave the classroom and that's the problem what would dot do to us if we refused to get out of our trucks or vans?

FlyingVan

Staff member
Owner/Operator
With all due respect, he is twice her size, don't see any reason whatsoever that he had to shove her down like that and throw her across the room.

I'm not saying that the girl is innocent. But what he did is just wrong, in my opinion, of course.

Sent from my SM-G900P using Tapatalk

Ragman

Veteran Expediter
Retired Expediter
With all due respect, he is twice her size, don't see any reason whatsoever that he had to shove her down like that and throw her across the room.

I'm not saying that the girl is innocent. But what he did is just wrong, in my opinion, of course.

Sent from my SM-G900P using Tapatalk
At what point do we stop laying the blame on the police.
Do what your told, and none of this happens.

Reactions: Ftransit

Turtle

Administrator
Staff member
Retired Expediter
At what point do we stop laying the blame on the police.
Do what your told, and none of this happens.
True, but the response was not appropriate for the "crime" of refusing to leave the classroom. Driving While Black has apparently evolved into Sitting While Black. Even protesters staging sit-ins are simple dragged away rather than picked up and slammed into the ground. This resource officer apparently has a history of this sort of thing, too. In addition to being a School Resource Officer (a sworn law enforcement officer, in this case a senior deputy with the county sheriff's department, assigned to a school on a long-term basis), he's also the football team's defensive coordinator and strength and conditioning coach.

This happened because the teacher told her to put away her phone, which she refused to do. The teacher asked her to leave the class. She refused. The teacher then disciplined her with a write-up for being "disrespectful and disobedient," and asked her again to leave. At that point a school administrator came to remove her, and she still refused, and that is when the SRO was called in, who then informed her that she was being arrested on the charge of "disturbing school" and when she didn't get up he started clearing things from around her desk in preparation for what we see in the videos.

It seems clear enough that the student needs to learn some respect, but respect cannot, and never has been gained, by force.

Reactions: cheri1122

vandriver2

Veteran Expediter
Owner/Operator
I would have just slid her still in that desk right through the classroom doorway and down the hall into the principal's office (her last joy ride! more private/less audience) and called both parents to immediately leave their jobs and come down to the school..."there is an emergency concerning your daughter". Then, they could hear WHY she was asked to leave the Classroom and WHY she refused to.
If you have been offered every chance at complying by an officer of the law, you know?....do they say why she no longer could be in that classroom? What did she say or do? Or he could have handcuffed her first, then shackled her ankles and removed her that way. He was making an overly dramatic statement to the other Students I'm thinking.
So, if am asked to leave any establishment for a seemingly lawful reason by the Store Mananger and I refuse to, he then calls the Police. I have my choice of walking out with them or additionally being charged with refusal to comply/assaulting an officer. The only difference is this is a teen in her school yes?
Some people don't like to follow Rules...unless the Teacher and Officer were very wrong here, which happens too.
I Don't know. I'd like to know what she was or wasn't doing.
Suspend her from school for lack of compliance and whatever the initial cause was followed by refusal or yes, arrest her if she was a danger to her teacher and classmates. She was given the opportunity by school personel AND the Officer to walk out. She chose the wrong way to state her case.
Of course there's most likely going to be a struggle if someone is defiant.
By the way, in 2002 when I substitute taught in a High School, no cell phones were permitted on the body of the students and were immediately confiscated if we saw them. They were allowed to be left, turned off in their lockers. They're there to learn, not be checking their phone. Plus, it's simply rude.
Haha, lol...ok, I was still writing, then Posted and read what Turtle knew was the reason she was asked to leave. There Ya go. That Rule. No phones in school or ON in school.

Last edited:

Turtle

Administrator
Staff member
Retired Expediter
I remember when calculators first started appearing in schools, and it drove teachers nuts. Cellphones in class have got to be one of the top frustrations for teachers (and the ones with video cameras, for SROs, as well LOL).

vandriver2

Veteran Expediter
Owner/Operator
I remember when calculators first started appearing in schools, and it drove teachers nuts. Cellphones in class have got to be one of the top frustrations for teachers (and the ones with video cameras, for SROs, as well LOL).
Yeppers, I know how I'd feel standing in front of my class teaching, talking, explaining and look over and one or more students are checking their cell phones. Make the Rule and enforce it. All phones are to be Turned Off and remain off and IN your Lockers until the end of the day. Oh Ya, even at lunch or study hall, if we saw a student with a phone they handed it over right then and there.

coalminer

Veteran Expediter
Retired Expediter
I don't think that cop should have done what he did, but I will say one thing if that was my daughter she would have gotten the beating of her life that night.

xiggi

Veteran Expediter
Owner/Operator
Total over reaction. By the officer, like was said just slide the desk out. Heck the guy probably could have picked her and the desk both up. The cop and the school already have one lawsuit going on due to him, looks like another will arrive soon.

Ragman

Veteran Expediter
Retired Expediter
Yes.... It was an over reaction......yes....sometimes it's warranted...... However.... Do what you're told and this doesn't happen.

Reactions: Ftransit

Turtle

Administrator
Staff member
Retired Expediter
I read an article just the other day that told how 70 percent of schools with cell phone bans 5 years ago have reversed the bans. Instead of trying to sweep back the tide with a broom they're just riding the surfboards, I guess. Interestingly enough, it was the parents of the kids who has had the biggest impact on reversing the bans. They want to be able to get a hold of their kid right now, whether it's important or not.

In some schools they have clearly marked areas where phones can and cannot be used. Some classes have apps and/or utilize the Internet as part of the instruction, others encourage kids to take photos of new stuff and make use of the phone's calendar. So there are some uses for it in school. The problem, of course, is the enforcement of phone calls and text messages at inappropriate times.

The school district in my town reversed their ban a few years ago. There are specific times, places and classes where students can use their phones. If they are caught using the phones at the wrong place or time, the phone is confiscated and the parent must pick it up rather than it being returned to the student. The first year, a lot of parents were showing up at the school. Last year almost no phones had to be confiscated. Seems that if you layout clear rules that everyone can understand, and enforce them, it works better.

I don't think that cop should have done what he did, but I will say one thing if that was my daughter she would have gotten the beating of her life that night.
I agree that she probably needed some sense knocked into her, physically or otherwise, but I also think it's the parent's job to do that rather than someone under the authority of a badge.

Reactions: FlyingVan

vandriver2

Veteran Expediter
Owner/Operator
Total over reaction. By the officer, like was said just slide the desk out. Heck the guy probably could have picked her and the desk both up. The cop and the school already have one lawsuit going on due to him, looks like another will arrive soon.
Yep, could have been carried out in a totally less 'dramatic' way. He and the student both need some training and lessons in following school policy. They both need help. She needs her families time, attention, love, consistency, discipline and structure at home. He may need his ego and anger brought down a notch or two.

Last edited:

vandriver2

Veteran Expediter
Owner/Operator
Agree with you all here...and it all began with her not following school policy as far as cell phone use.

Yes.... It was an over reaction......yes....sometimes it's warranted...... However.... Do what you're told and this doesn't happen.[/QUOT

vandriver2

Veteran Expediter
Owner/Operator
I don't think that cop should have done what he did, but I will say one thing if that was my daughter she would have gotten the beating of her life that
Cell phone, gone for a while.
Home computer, gone for a while unless supervised for school work.
Parent/Child involvement, talks, rules followed at home and elsewhere.
Earn that phone back. Apology in person and in writing to Teacher, Classmates, principal, etc.
But what I know is that my child raised by me wouldn't have defied a Teacher's Request.

Reactions: Ragman

cheri1122

Veteran Expediter
Driver
First, I agree that the officer simply used more force than needed to accomplish the job. Not only does that foster disrespect for law enforcement, it risks injury to the person being arrested, detained, whatever - it's much smarter to avoid the risk.
Second, regarding Turtle's comment that schools are reversing the cell phone bans, and largely at the parents' request, I wonder whether the [very real] possibility of a mass shooting at school isn't playing a large part in their [the parents] thinking?
I don't think it's because parents want to be able to contact their offspring during classes - it's so their offspring can dial 911 if the worst happens. After the events of the past few years, nobody thinks it "can't happen" in their kid's school anymore.

Reactions: vandriver2

cheri1122

Veteran Expediter
Driver

Because 'might makes right', eh?
I taught my kids that reason makes right, and never had to beat them, even once. [They always were smart, though]

Reactions: xiggi