DEADHEAD MILES

truckwife

Expert Expediter
HELLO FRANK,WE HAVE A D UNIT STRAIGHT TRUCK AND USE OUR FUEL AS A TAX DEDUCTION.CAN WE GET ANY TAX WRITE OFF'S FOR ALL THOSE MANY DH MILES WE DO FOR THE WEAR AND TARE OF OUR TRUCK.I HAVE BEEN TOLD SOME USE THIS AS A WRITE OFF.JUST WOULD LIKE YOUR OPIONION ON THIS.THANKS FOR ALL YOUR HELP.

Crazynuff

Veteran Expediter
Frank will probably have a better answer but for now - The IRS will ask for a breakdown of mileage for business , private , and commuting use . If you unload and then deadhead directly for another load ( but maybe head to a hotel or truck stop while waiting ) the deductions are the same as loaded . If you take time off to go visiting or sightseeing , these miles are classified as private use . It can be a real headache sorting it out . Anybody running a truck really needs to have their bookkeeping handled by a tax professional . You can save a lot of money getting guidance on deductions from day one instead of finding what you missed out on at tax time .

Moot

Veteran Expediter
Owner/Operator
Anybody running a truck really needs to have their bookkeeping handled by a tax professional . You can save a lot of money getting
>guidance on deductions from day one instead of finding what
>you missed out on at tax time .

Excellent advice. I would add that anyone who falls under IRS rules should have a tax accountant. My wife and I pay $120 to file a joint return and do my business (van). Money well spent.

Fkatz

Veteran Expediter
Charter Member
HELLO FRANK,WE HAVE A D UNIT STRAIGHT TRUCK AND USE OUR FUEL AS A TAX DEDUCTION.CAN WE GET ANY TAX WRITE OFF'S FOR ALL THOSE MANY DH MILES WE DO FOR THE WEAR AND TARE OF OUR TRUCK.I HAVE BEEN TOLD SOME USE THIS AS A WRITE OFF.JUST WOULD LIKE YOUR OPIONION ON THIS.THANKS FOR ALL YOUR HELP.
TRUCKWIFE
AND FROM
Crazynuff

14 points 1. "RE: DEADHEAD MILES"
Sep-07-07, 02:52 PM (EDT)
In response to message #0

Frank will probably have a better answer but for now - The IRS will ask for a breakdown of mileage for business , private , and commuting use . If you unload and then deadhead directly for another load ( but maybe head to a hotel or truck stop while waiting ) the deductions are the same as loaded . If you take time off to go visiting or sightseeing , these miles are classified as private use . It can be a real headache sorting it out . Anybody running a truck really needs to have their bookkeeping handled by a tax professional . You can save a lot of money getting guidance on deductions from day one instead of finding what you missed out on at tax time .

hI TRUCKWIFE & CRAZYNUFF

According to the IRS Publications of where you can find the explaination are as follows:

Publication # 334 Tax Guide for Small Business, Chapter 8
Publication # 463 Travel,Entertainmemt, Gift and Car expenses, Page 15
Publication # 535 Business Expenses, Chapter 11

Only vehicles that are classified as "NOT FOR HIRE", can use the Standard mileage for all miles. and it is subject to weight restrictions,

Under 10,000 lbs may use either the standard mileage rate or Actual Expense method of EXPENSING, this is only for Cars, Pick-up trucks, Cargo Vans, and panel trucks. or trucks with Van or Pick up bodies with 10-12 ft boxes and gross under 10,000 lbs GVR.

All other vehicles must take depreicationa and actual expenses, Deduction of cost of fuel it the only one that can be expensed.
Deadhead miles are not Deductible at all to a vehicle over 10,000 lbs period.

Sorry people but that is the what the IRS says.

FRank

Thornapple

Seasoned Expediter
>Under 10,000 lbs may use either the standard mileage rate or
>Actual Expense method of EXPENSING, this is only for Cars,
>Pick-up trucks, Cargo Vans, and panel trucks. or trucks with
>Van or Pick up bodies with 10-12 ft boxes and gross under
>10,000 lbs GVR.

OK see if I can understand this: The 3/4 ton cargo van that I drove for a fleet owner and paid for the fuel can be deducted for the recipts that I have for the fuel.

Right?

>
>All other vehicles must take depreicationa and actual
>expenses, Deduction of cost of fuel it the only one that
>can be expensed.
>Deadhead miles are not Deductible at all to a vehicle over
>10,000 lbs period.
>
>Sorry people but that is the what the IRS says.
>
>FRank

The D unit that I'm driving now but not paying for the fuel but sometimes buying a wiper blade or light ect. I can deduct those things.

Right?

But the DEAD HEAD miles I don't understand.

I'm waiting in city A for a load.

The load is avalible in city B, and thats 49 miles away.

I don't get paid DH because it's under 50 miles and I don't get to depreciate the truck for the 49 miles or the time I owned the truck driving that 49 miles but I do get to claim the 6 gal. of fuel that it takes to drive the distance?

(no I don't own the truck I'm driving but I'm thinking about owning one someday and that's the reason for the question.)

I guess I don't understand the words:
>10,000 lbs period.

Are miles ever deductible?

Isn't the cost of putting those miles on (fuel maint. ect.) the only things that are ever deductible?

Isn't depreciation a "time" thing? For a year, or 3 years, or 5 years?

I'm concerned because you said in a previous post that any dead head under 250 miles doesn't count as being away from home, and this looks like within that 250 mile radius of home I can't claim anything. (food, showers, supplies, ect.)

Just wonderin???
t.

Fkatz

Veteran Expediter
Charter Member
Forum name: Tax Topics For Expediters.
Subject: RE%3A DEADHEAD MILES
Posted by: Thornapple
>Under 10,000 lbs may use either the standard mileage rate or
>Actual Expense method of EXPENSING, this is only for Cars,
>Pick-up trucks, Cargo Vans, and panel trucks. or trucks with
>Van or Pick up bodies with 10-12 ft boxes and gross under
>10,000 lbs GVR. and bascially it is to the owner of the vehicle, not the driver.

OK see if I can understand this: The 3/4 ton cargo van that I drove for a fleet owner and paid for the fuel can be deducted for the recipts that I have for the fuel.

Right?

T: That is correct, but since it was a 3/4 ton cargo van, even though it you did not own it the standard mileage rate can apply. but you cannot take both that is for all miles driven from the time you left to the time you got home. If it was local you are not entitled to the per diem allowance. meaning within 11 hours driving time or 250 mile radius. but the mileage rate can be taken,in a cargo van not a straight truck at all.

>
>All other vehicles must take depreicationa and actual
>expenses, Deduction of cost of fuel it the only one that
>can be expensed.
>10,000 lbs period.
>
>Sorry people but that is the what the IRS says.
>
>FRank

The D unit that I'm driving now but not paying for the fuel but sometimes buying a wiper blade or light ect. I can deduct those things.

Right?

T: You can deduct any items purchased for the truck that you are not reimbursed for, otherwise they cannot be deducted.

But the DEAD HEAD miles I don't understand. ITS A FUEL THING AND DH CANNOT BE DEDUCTED DUE TO PAYING FOR FUEL AND DEDUCTING THE TOTAL COST. IT DOES NOT MAKE A DIFFERENCE

I'm waiting in city A for a load.

The load is avalible in city B, and thats 49 miles away.

I don't get paid DH because it's under 50 miles and I don't get to depreciate the truck for the 49 miles or the time I owned the truck driving that 49 miles but I do get to claim the 6 gal. of fuel that it takes to drive the distance?
You only get the fuel and if you are actually over the road (over 250from home you are entitled to the per diem otherwise you are not.)
(no I don't own the truck I'm driving but I'm thinking about owning one someday and that's the reason for the question.)
ONCE YOU OWN YOUR OWN TRUCK THEN AND ONLY THEN YOU GET DEPRECIATION, REPAIRS, MAINTENANCE, FUEL, TOLLS, AND ALL THE ITEM THAT ARE ALLOWED
I guess I don't understand the words:
>10,000 lbs period.

Are miles ever deductible? yes only in the vehicles mentioned above.

Isn't the cost of putting those miles on (fuel maint. ect.) the only things that are ever deductible?

T: fuel yes, tolls yes, Maintenance is to the owner not you

Isn't depreciation a "time" thing? For a year, or 3 years, or 5 years?

T; you do not own the truck,

I'm concerned because you said in a previous post that any dead head under 250 miles doesn't count as being away from home, and this looks like within that 250 mile radius of home I can't claim anything. (food, showers, supplies, ect.)

Just wonderin???
t.

T: In answer to the questions above, Only if you own the truck you can take everything--- depreciation, fuel, tolls, per diem,(again subject to over 250 mile radius from home or you are considered a local driver. BUT MOST ARE DEDUCTIBLE EXCEPT PER DIEM

Frank