Deadhead miles..AAAHHHH!!!

Frank

Expert Expediter
I seem to be attracting deadhead miles lately. Nobody has put a curse on me lately have they? ;)
Frank.

Wild Bill

Veteran Expediter
Charter Member
Retired Expediter
Careful Frank, That is getting pretty close to sounding negitive :+ :p }> lol!

Just teasing you. Our DH is way up to, But really for the loads we been getting it has been worth it. I will deadhead 150 for a 700 mile $1,000.00 load anytime! Only one I turned down recently was a load going to a hazmat load going to Edison, NJ where I would have had to have deadheaded 250 miles to go get. (In my opnion, between the hazmat, NJ, 250 miles...etc I think that is the first "tri-fecta" refusal I ever had...lol)

vernon946

Veteran Expediter
Charter Member
:9 And here I thought we were the only ones with FedEx CC enjoying extremely high deadhead miles. We did a personal best here a few weeks back, deadheaded 177 mi to get a 2068 mi load, then d/h back 951 mi to the closest freight lanes. After that, we got some really silly offers, with my favorite being to d/h 190 mi to get a 70 mi load. We turned it down and had an 18 sitting in the same stop accept it. Go figure.

Our d/h has been running 32-33% over the past 3 weeks, and we have turned down a lot that was not good business to accept. Hope it tightens up again soon.

Vernon

marmon01

Expert Expediter
Overall, 30 percent deadhead seems to be fairly typical, based on what others have previously posted.

Trucker Matt

Veteran Expediter
Charter Member
Our personal record in DH miles was last year. Our DH miles were double our loaded miles for the month of August while running in wacky places out West. Still, FedEx made it worth our while - gotta love 'em.:)

Wild Bill

Veteran Expediter
Charter Member
Retired Expediter
To be honest I don't think it will be going down anytime soon. For 2 reasons:

1. Last year they broadened the distance they can search for trucks. I believe it was from 75 miles to over 100.

2. FECC is having problems recruiting trucks. If you will notice as you "sail the concete sea" many more billboards trying to get drivers to apply to FECC. They are down (in their opnion) a lot of trucks. and with Corn flake going soggy that is more freight for a smaller fleet.

Seems like whatever express center I check into I am usually the only truck or number 2. I haven't noticed a lot of FECC trucks on the road either.

Just my humble opnion.

Frank

Expert Expediter
Me negative....NOT! LOL. Actually I run in Mich mostly I had a run into Illinois Friday which was a return haul to. I was in Buffalo couple weeks ago dropped the load and deadheaded back. I am in a cargo Van don't forget ;-)
Frank.

gexcel500

Expert Expediter
I run a cargo van out of Michigan and atleast half my miles are deadhead. FRANK who do you run for? Maybe I need to be with a bigger
company that has more resources.

Lostmarbles

Expert Expediter
Well Great!
All this talk about sail boats has my Desert bread AZ sea sick!
What I don't mind is D/H miles that are all down hill......Told ya I was sea sick.

Life is what happens to you while your busy makeing other plans.:p :p

G

Frank: We're in GR too. Leased to ASAP Express in Romules. Seems that with the smaller companies you do get more D/H, but OTOH, we don't end up in pits like Columbus GA as we did with FECC.. We don't sit in a place unless we have had good luck there before, we just go back home.

gexcel500

Expert Expediter
Hey Frank and Joebon, maybe we should have a
west Michigan page on the forum so we can compare notes. have you noticed a big slowdown in van business in the last week or is it just me. Frank, I used to run for Radio Transfer but greener grass led me to another local company. Did great most of summer but really slow right now. how are you guys doing now? Hope you are doing well. Anyone who takes this job seriously for the long haul deserves good things to happen. STAY SAFE:)