Couple of LandStar questions?

TMFGO45

Seasoned Expediter
I am wondering a couple of things.

1) When you are leased on with Landstar, you see THEIR driver board. Are the rates listed on that board showing MY PAY ONLY, or the pay I still need to split with Landstar?

2) I keep seeing some people say they are supposed to be a 1st in, 1st out "dispatch." Now, knowing they don't dispatch, and that you pretty much do your own thing out there as far as looking at what loads you want, I am trying to figure out what this means exactly.

What I am gathering, is that the agents have loads that need covered. They can clearly see who is in the area, but they also know who they can trust. So I suppose, they can call you if they wanted, if you were the first there, and offer it to you. Or they could just call the guy they already know?

OR, you could just call them anyway yourself and try to book the load. Does all that sound about right?

3) The last thing I can think of for now involves negotiating a better deal. I suppose we do have this option? We can call a broker, or they can call us, and if the load breaks down to say 1.40/m, but I was 1.50/m, then at Landstar I am still able to do this negotiating?
Of course, knowing full well I better be aware of how many trucks are in the area, and if I even have the lean way to be negotiating with whatever the situation may be. But my point is, you can still do it? (also being sure not to **** anybody off, and risk not ever talking to that agent again)

Thanks in advance everybody.

greg334

Veteran Expediter
I am wondering a couple of things.

1) When you are leased on with Landstar, you see THEIR driver board. Are the rates listed on that board showing MY PAY ONLY, or the pay I still need to split with Landstar?

Driver board?

If you are talking about the internal load board, the rates are all gross.

If you are looking at your settlements, it is all there. Until the paper work is process, you may not see any finances on the site.

2) I keep seeing some people say they are supposed to be a 1st in, 1st out "dispatch." Now, knowing they don't dispatch, and that you pretty much do your own thing out there as far as looking at what loads you want, I am trying to figure out what this means exactly.

What I am gathering, is that the agents have loads that need covered. They can clearly see who is in the area, but they also know who they can trust. So I suppose, they can call you if they wanted, if you were the first there, and offer it to you. Or they could just call the guy they already know?

OR, you could just call them anyway yourself and try to book the load. Does all that sound about right?

It works somewhat like that but think about it like this, the agent can call anyone they want.

3) The last thing I can think of for now involves negotiating a better deal. I suppose we do have this option? We can call a broker, or they can call us, and if the load breaks down to say 1.40/m, but I was 1.50/m, then at Landstar I am still able to do this negotiating?
Of course, knowing full well I better be aware of how many trucks are in the area, and if I even have the lean way to be negotiating with whatever the situation may be. But my point is, you can still do it? (also being sure not to **** anybody off, and risk not ever talking to that agent again)

Thanks in advance everybody.

negotiation, sometimes but a lot of times agents won't. They are bidding on stuff and already have an idea what they are going to ask.

BUT with that said, there is no longer a way for someone to see exactly who (or what) is in a specific area. They remover most of the info off the website except for the size and type of unit. No more weight ratings appear. Kind of takes the sunshine away for a lot of us.

Are you with Landstar?

TMFGO45

Seasoned Expediter
Hey thanks for your response. I am actually going through the Landstar qualification and I am looking for a truck so I can be an o/o. Something I have wanted to do for a long time now. And I'm pretty excited about it.
And so for the loads it is basically just find one and try to book it. Slowly you will build a relationship with some agents and they will actually call you MAYBE with a better load they like to hide. No problem with that.
I am struggling to understand why these o/o say they don't make it out there. I am looking at some of these loads and even at a 1.20 rate getting my 65% after fuel etc.....I'm doing pretty **** good. I think some of these guys who say they couldn't make it are the ones who shouldn't have even tried. Personally I great computer skills and can find loads there. I am a good planner even with multiple pickups and deliveries. And I know how to SAVE my money instead of blowing it. I feel like I'm going to do very well on my own.

astikhossw

Seasoned Expediter
Trust me if express is going to be your first expedite company and you are solo don't take the chance.Try one of the other expedite companies.

TMFGO45

Seasoned Expediter
Trust me if express is going to be your first expedite company and you are solo don't take the chance.Try one of the other expedite companies.

Actually I realized just the other day that I think I might be confusing a lot of people out there. I am not going to be doing expediting with Landstar. I am just on the Expediting forums because this is the first place I started when I was thinking about getting on with Panther and the other expediters. Since then, I have decided I want to stick with my bread and butter and stay solo tractor trailer. So I just stayed here to ask the Landstar question.

So I'm sorry I am confusing everyone out there. But thanks for the information I have received so far!