Coolant leak

cheri1122

Veteran Expediter
Driver
Found a rather large amount of coolant under the truck, which seems to be coming from the reservoir tank itself - a rusty old metal thing, all bubbled paint around a [useless] 'view' porthole.
Question: can I smear some sealant around the spot, & if so, what kind?
Also, anyone have any idea of whether the tank can be replaced with the translucent plastic version?
Truck is an 04 Sterling, Mercedes engine.
Thanks in advance for the help.

spongebox

Active Expediter
Tank can be replaced with a plastic one, sealant is tricky because antifreeze leaves a oil like residue, find an autozone and tell them what kind of leak they can give you a decent epoxy as a temp fix

Sent from my VS910 4G using EO Forums

zorry

Veteran Expediter
Any chance porthole is leaking ? May have a rubber o ring. Maybe replace with a pipe plug if same thread.

cheri1122

Veteran Expediter
Driver
Zorry: it may be some from the porthole, but not just that, the bubbly paint near it seems to be the source. I'm going to find an AutoZone [or reasonable facsimile] and try some epoxy, cause I don't have anything on hand that seems right.
Then I'll see about getting the rusty thing replaced with a translucent one that doesn't need a useless porthole!

cheri1122

Veteran Expediter
Driver
I like that idea, Easy - I've been sitting [in a new spot] for an hour, just a tiny bit of coolant leaking. Closest service center is 75 miles away, in Roanoke, and they [surprise!] can't look at it till Monday. Think I'll schmear some JB, go back in service, and see what happens. Thanks for the help! :eek:

Kristi

Active Expediter
We had a 07 Sterling with a Cat C9 in it. We were down in So Cal and found out the res tank (plastic) was cracked. We called a road side guy and since he didn't have the part to fix it he used banking soad and super glue to temporarly fix it until we could get the part. That kept the leak under control all the way from Chino CA to Bordentown NJ. Iwas actually really impressed...

Sent from my SCH-I405 using EO Forums

zorry

Veteran Expediter
A local radiator shop may be of some help. Wire brush and little brazing to hold til you get what you need for tank swap.

zorry

Veteran Expediter
A local radiator shop may do a little brazing that would hold til you get plastic tank.

Slo-Ride

Veteran Expediter
Just put some expoxy on my plastic tank over the weekend..still holding.

Cheri if your near Blacksburg I have expoxy, scraper and sandpaper (I think sandpaper??)Even a little drink of dexcol if ya need help..

Rocketman

Veteran Expediter
Cheri, let me know if you haven't found a solution already. I can't remember the name of the product but I can find out with a couple phone calls. A family friend owns a tractor dealership/service dept and he uses a specific epoxy, 2 part I believe. He swears by it....and believe me when it comes to repairing farm tractors, it has to be good stuff if it works. Let me know and I'll track it down.

Slo-Ride

Veteran Expediter
I didnt think about naming a product..

Blue magic Quick steel..2 part expoxy..Avaible at walmart.

So far I have used it twice and holding..
Plastic water resv, and steel air line coming of air compressor..
I need to change that air line but I dont think about it anymore..It was over three months ago I patched a wear hole in it..

cheri1122

Veteran Expediter
Driver
Update: after a truck wash, I schmeared some clear sealant all over the spot, and so far, so good - not leaking. I am near Blacksburg, so if that changes, I might send SloRide a PM, but I think it's gonna hold until I get the tank changed. I am definitely getting it changed.
The new one will probably be just as hard to get the cap off, [noplace to put my feet means not enough leverage to push and turn] but at least I'll only need to do it when it is low, not every time I need to check the level. [Porthole is just useless, can't see nuffin!]
Back in service, hoping for a weekend load.....
:eek:

EasyDoesIt

Active Expediter
Cheri do a Google search on tools,tire step. Amazon, Marco, Snap-On sell them for about $30. They fit over the front tire and hang with a step attached for you to stand on. Not sure but I think some fold flat for easy storage.

Slo-Ride

Veteran Expediter
Just got booted out of my private lil truck stop by some guy with a flashing yellow light. (looked real offical he did) Heading over to F/Mogul to get some sleep so if ya need anything I think ya may know where that is feel free to wake me.. (Right off the 460)
Im thinking up high in the tank even if it drips a bit you will be fine till ya get her home, it should only leak down to that level.. Unless you have a low water sensor in the tank then it may bug ya. You know to keep close eye on it going over these hills..
G/luck

cheri1122

Veteran Expediter
Driver
We had a 07 Sterling with a Cat C9 in it. We were down in So Cal and found out the res tank (plastic) was cracked. We called a road side guy and since he didn't have the part to fix it he used banking soad and super glue to temporarly fix it until we could get the part. That kept the leak under control all the way from Chino CA to Bordentown NJ. Iwas actually really impressed...

Kristi: I know it's a typo, but the whole 'banking soad' thing is just bugging me, lol - WTH?
Ps I used superglue to put a filling back in, my dentist thought it was hilarious, but it held for weeks!
:cool:

Sent from my SCH-I405 using EO Forums

cheri1122

Veteran Expediter
Driver
Cheri do a Google search on tools,tire step. Amazon, Marco, Snap-On sell them for about $30. They fit over the front tire and hang with a step attached for you to stand on. Not sure but I think some fold flat for easy storage.

Gottago has one, but it wouldn't help - being on the outside of the tire would just put my stubby lil arms further from the tank in the middle of the engine, sigh.
What I need is a more secure place to stand within reach of it, without damaging the hoses & other stuff underfoot.

zorry

Veteran Expediter
Maybe plastic tank will have easy to remove plastic cap.

Side note. We had four Macks with square fuel tanks that had a welded seam half way up. Steel tanks. When they leaked we rubbed a bar of hand soap and it would stop the seepage until a really hard rain. Not pressurized like a coolant system.

EasyDoesIt

Active Expediter
Gottago has one, but it wouldn't help - being on the outside of the tire would just put my stubby lil arms further from the tank in the middle of the engine, sigh.
What I need is a more secure place to stand within reach of it, without damaging the hoses & other stuff underfoot.

I was thinking it would make it easier and safer for you to stand directly on top of the tire and get back on the ground again.