commercial plates?

Highlander

Rookie Expediter
Ok this maybe be a dumb question but I have heard different things. If I own a sprinter van and lease on to a company as an O/O do I need commercial plates? I am assuming I do but we know what happens when we assume.

fastman_1

Veteran Expediter
Owner/Operator
Yep having them allows you to park in truck zones in major city's, that alone will save you in parking tickets to make the cost of plates worth it

FlyingVan

Staff member
Owner/Operator
Ok this maybe be a dumb question but I have heard different things. If I own a sprinter van and lease on to a company as an O/O do I need commercial plates? I am assuming I do but we know what happens when we assume.

It depends on the state you register your van in.

I used to live in GA and I did not need commercial plate there. Then I moved to TN and I didn't get a commercial plate, but I was pulled over by the TN State Patrol and given a ticket. He told me that I needed a Commercial Plate if I used my van for business. I couldn't get out of that one, since my van was plastered all over with Landstar signs. I tried to argue that I just moved to TN and I did not know I needed one since GA did not require it. I still got the ticket, but, if I went to court with proof that I changed to a Commercial plate I wouldn't have to pay any fines. Which I did do, they tried to fine me anyway, but finally just made copies of the new registration and let me go. I might have been just unlucky, since I know a few expediters in TN that don't have commercial plates. In TN, the difference between regular and commercial plates for vehicles 9000 lbs GVWR or less is about $25 a year more for the commercial one.

Highlander

Rookie Expediter
Nor sure if it is needed but seems that the best way to cover the largest portion of my a@@ is to go commercial

Thanks for all the input

FlyingVan

Staff member
Owner/Operator
Also some carriers may have their own requirements that take you above the legal requirements.

eb

That may be true, however, none of the companies I have been with (Panther, FedEx, Landstar) required commercial plates for my Sprinter. They were just fine with the regular passenger licence plate.

Last edited:

Moot

Veteran Expediter
Owner/Operator
It depends on the state you register your van in.

Exactly! Check with your state DMV. In Minnesota I had regular passenger plates on my first van. This van came with a quasi-commercial plate with a 10,000 GVW sticker.

mjmsprt40

Veteran Expediter
Owner/Operator
I live in Illinois, seems at least that if the van doesn't have windows in the back the dealer automatically gets you commercial plates.

RV plates would be the other choice for this style, but if you do that and get caught with cargo----.

Here, the price difference between passenger car and B- commercial is negligible, D plates are higher of course.