Generators ComfortPro without CCU and auto starting...

TMFGO45

Seasoned Expediter
I have a ComfortPro APU but I opted not to get the CCU with it because I have rooftop air and wanted the extra space instead. Is there any way at all to have the APU autostart for temperature, allow the rooftop air to do its job, then turn back off?

Alternatively, what is the thought process on just turning the APU on and leaving it on, versus having it start and stop multiple times daily? I'm already at close to 900 hours and I've only had the truck since June.

davekc

Senior Moderator
Staff member
Fleet Owner
You generator will require more service if you are running it continuously. Just no way around that. If it is compatible, you could run the temp wires originally for the CCU and run them to the thermostat that the rooftop uses.
Similar to the wiring of a Onan setup with a rooftop. We have a autostart on those and it is from Cummins.

TMFGO45

Seasoned Expediter
You generator will require more service if you are running it continuously. Just no way around that. If it is compatible, you could run the temp wires originally for the CCU and run them to the thermostat that the rooftop uses.
Similar to the wiring of a Onan setup with a rooftop. We have a autostart on those and it is from Cummins.

Any ideas on how to get those wires?

And I was wondering if this thing starting and stopping, literally multiple times an hour, is worse for the APU, than just letting it run.

TruckingSurv

Seasoned Expediter
For cooling I am liking the looks of the Bergstrom - NITE No-Idle which is the OEM supplier for FL ParkSmart systems and other OEM's, couple that with a eNow Energy Solutions for Transportation, Solar panels for your trucking fleet system and then add on a heater from Eberspaecher - Truck Heaters, Cab Heaters, Engine Heaters, Coolant Heaters and a person should be in good shape. Probably not feasible to add all that after the fact, BUT sure might be the way to go when specing a new truck, probably still need an Onan, BUT it would get way less usage.