Cat C9 injectors

Doggie Daddy

Veteran Expediter
Was just wondering if anyone else is having problems with the injectors in this engine?

We have replaced a total of 9 injectors in the 33 months that we have had this truck,which was purchased new.

Lost one at 120k,2 at 230k,and then yesterday Cat replaced all 6 at 338k.:confused:

Luckily our salesman Bobby Snyder at Fyda frieghtliner was aware of this problem, and recommended the extended warranty for the injectors.

These things cost $500.00 each so the warranty has more than paid for itself so far.

davekc

Senior Moderator
Staff member
Fleet Owner
Do you still have the original Huey pump or has it been changed?

Doggie Daddy

Veteran Expediter
piper,we have always run only the cat filters.Dave,it still has the original huey pump on it,but everytime they change the injectors they do check for contaminates.

davekc

Senior Moderator
Staff member
Fleet Owner
No real answer then. They did have a service bulletin on 06's where wear from the huey pump bearings was trashing the injectors. They do have a upgraded pump. We had ours changed out around 350K under warranty.

piper1

Veteran Expediter
Owner/Operator
DD..there are Cat branded filters that fit a C9....and there is the right Cat branded filter. Not all Cat brand filters are 2 micron.

davekc

Senior Moderator
Staff member
Fleet Owner
If you have a 07, then you might be ok. Have to watch that if the truck is a 07, you could still have a engine that was manufactured in 06.
As for filters, we have used the Cat or sometimes a Baldwin since we do changes at Speedco. Never really had any fuel filter problems. Had some injector issues but they were tied to the huey pump. That is how we found out about the huey issue.

piper1

Veteran Expediter
Owner/Operator
The good filters have a "High Efficiency" logo on them. Next time you are near a Cat dealer they can give you the very latest part number...my info here is a few years old so there might have been an update..

Good thing you got the warranty!! Cat warranties are the best, usually no haggle, just fixed.

RETIDEPXE

Veteran Expediter
I have an M2 built in May '06 pre-emission engine. One injector and turbo replaced at 180,000 mi.s, didn't even know they were out, took truck in to run an overhead adjst. 400k mi.s now and have developed a slight miss. I heard on XM/ ATBS a guy called in to say the electronic Cats have a problem with the injector wire insulation getting brittle under the vavle cover and shorting out. I have the 5yr/ 500mi. Cat warranty plus injectors but quickly coming to a close. Truck has developed a slight miss/shake that shows up only at part throttle and at steady cruise, any other throttle position runs great and mileage is good. Cat tech did cyl cut out on laptop and found #3 a little weak so not a full blown miss. He also said Cat warranty would not cover anything until I have a covered component full blown failure. Oh well, keep on truckin...... and build up the emergency fund LOL