CAT 3126 Turbo Diesel

skeene5

Rookie Expediter
We have a 2000 GMC C6500 Box Truck w/ a CAT 3126 Turbo Diesel. Serial No. 8YL47279
My husband ran it really really low on diesel the other day and it started running rough and seemed a bit low on power. We changed the fuel filter believing it got trash clogged up in it. But, now there is no acceleration under load. The RPM's are fine in park or neutral but drop when in gear and trying to accelerate.
We are at a loss and don't know where to go from here? Any suggestions?

Moot

Veteran Expediter
Owner/Operator
My husband ran it really really low on diesel the other day and it started running rough and seemed a bit low on power.
How low is really, really low? Did he run it to the point where the engine starved for fuel and stalled?

tknight

Veteran Expediter
I wonder if the injection pump got damaged? I've heard of it happening when the fuel pumps went out but just running really low shouldn't have done it besides filter there should be a screen as well

davekc

Senior Moderator
Staff member
Fleet Owner
I would start at the fuel tank. Shine a light in there and see if you have a lot of debris or algae. May have some blockage in the pickup lines if ran low. If you have a clear Raycor filter you can see if a bunch of junk is floating around. Also, if this is the first time in a while that you used the hand pump (if equipped) it may not be seated down all the way and drawing air. Outside of that, you are down to a pressure test to isolate the problem if it is not throwing any codes.

RETIDEPXE

Veteran Expediter
You didn't mention you changed the fuel/water separator if so equipped. My M2 has the Racor fuel/water filter with the screw on clear bowl on the bottom. Shops are bad about jacking with the plastic drain valve on the bottom of the clear bowl and over tightening it to the point of popping the rubber seat off causing it to suck air to the point of not being able to go over 20 mph and/or stall and would leak fuel when cutting the motor off. Easy fix, just have to pull it back off and and put the rubber seat back in place being careful not to over tighten it, which in the shops defense, is easy to do, but if they never touched it in the first place would be better.....