Carrier has my back?

ATeam

Retired Expediter
To me, "Carrier has my back" is a misleading and dangerous assumption for an owner-operator to have.

As a self-employed professional who brings one's own capital to the game, the best approach is that of a self-employed professional. Expediters who rely on their carrier or anyone else to have one's back, take care of the contractor or get the contractor where the contractor wants to be does so at his or her peril.

Think about it, will a carrier come to your aid if money is short and a major truck repair is needed? Will a carrier pick up your medical bills if you fall ill or become injured on a run? If you receive word that a serious issue developed with your house, will your carrier assist by sending a repair person so you can stay out and remain productive? If your truck is spray painted with graffitti, will your carrier pick up the cost of a new paint job? If you leave, how many minutes will it take for a carrier to replace you and continue its operations? When a carrier is contemplating a business or policy change, how much time do the decision makers think about you by name and consider the impact such changes will have? When you die, will your carrier send a representative to attend your funeral or provide a gift to help out your family?

In general, carriers do not think about you. They think about their fleet, the fleet's ability to serve the carrier's customers and the expense of maintaining the fleet.

That said, some carriers are better than others at showing compassion and understanding a contractor's circumstances. Some are better than others at keeping their word. Some are better than others at setting and maintaining high safety and truck maintenance standards. Some are better than others at teaming up with the contractor to provide exceptional customer service while making sure the owner-operator's needs are met at the same time (detention time, extra pay for work or miles added after a load is dispatched, etc.). But none of this should be mistaken for "Carrier has my back."

In business, the only person a business owner can count on for having one's back is one's self. Your health, safety, prosperity and well being are yours alone to maintain.

Last edited:

OntarioVanMan

Retired Expediter
Owner/Operator
That was along my line of thinking as well....WE are supposed to be "Independent" O/O's...emphasis on the "INDEPENDENT" when a carrier gets bossy we are the first to throw this at them.....

WE as independents are supposed to be ready for all situations to be resolved....and have a contingency plan and the assets to move on to that resolution....

As you mentioned Phil...the only time they should come to our aid is at times when a customer refuses D-Time or layover pay or hand unload....operational situations lets say....to make sure we are compensated for....

Reactions: ntimevan

kastmgmt

Not a Member
I hear alot about mid-sized to large carrier dispatchers that will leave a truck sitting if the driver refuses a load, wants to go home, or stays home too long, Or they go by a "load refusal" system, doesn't that make a contractor a company driver?

Reactions: T270_Dreamin

Mailer

Veteran Expediter
Owner/Operator
For me it means, once the O/O has stopped picking the cherries, tomatoes and the watermelon. And, helps the carrier cover the disadvantage loads, the carrier will reward the O/O with future good paying loads...we have your back!

Yep, bypassed the first guy in line too.
Wonder what was he picking? Lol.

Tennesseahawk

Veteran Expediter
To me, it means that they genuinely have your success at heart, cause their success is tied to it. In truckload, that is particularly vital for someone who does a lease-to-own. Some companies will throw you by the wayside, as soon as you sign the lease paperwork. Some will go as far as letting you pay their truck payments, get to near the end of your lease, and suddenly cut your miles to make you fail. It's obvious those companies do not have your back. One that does will make sure success is possible, and would go beyond their agreement to make sure of it.

But just don't count on your company having your back. Ultimately, as Ateam said, your success is on you; up to, and including, doing research and leasing onto the right company.

jjtdrv4u

Expert Expediter
I hear alot about mid-sized to large carrier dispatchers that will leave a truck sitting if the driver refuses a load, wants to go home, or stays home too long, Or they go by a "load refusal" system, doesn't that make a contractor a company driver?
all company dispatchers do this.

it makes you a company driver when they want you to take a load, but when you take it, and get stuck out in limbo somewhere, and can not get a load out of it, then you are a red headed step child independent contractor / owner operator / driver. (lol).

OntarioVanMan

Retired Expediter
Owner/Operator
all company dispatchers do this.

it makes you a company driver when they want you to take a load, but when you take it, and get stuck out in limbo somewhere, and can not get a load out of it, then you are a red headed step child independent contractor / owner operator / driver. (lol).
exactly...be that nice TEAM player and take that load to BFE somewhere and see how much the TEAM will contribute to get you back into a better area.....and how long they will let you sit before they do....

ntimevan

Veteran Expediter
Owner/Operator
yeah....guys must be driving or something.....LOL wait till a bunch have been sitting for 4-5 days between loads! :p
Problem is Ovm 's target group was at Mats and they were to busy with the Pom-Poms...and Free drinks and meals..give them a few days to come back to reality.....:D:p

Reactions: OntarioVanMan

OntarioVanMan

Retired Expediter
Owner/Operator
Problem is Ovm 's target group was at Mats and they were to busy with the Pom-Poms...and Free drinks and meals..give them a few days to come back to reality.....:D:p
In all reality there was no real target group..... :) just was reading back and noted how many times "carrier has back " was used.... And thinking back over my history of 2 USA carriers and 2 Canadian carriers over the last 16 years.... Seems carriers have a 4 yr shelf life for me... Or should I say it takes 4 years for the smoke to settle and see the distance? Lol

OntarioVanMan

Retired Expediter
Owner/Operator
I think there is more then a few carriers will help out a stranded driver....

When I hit a deer and had to cross dock at Steve Barrett's yard.... He offered what he could if I was short of cash to get to a repair shop and hotel room and I wasn't even on with him !
Kudos to Barrett Directline

And then when my motor went out for some reason the AAA in SC wouldn't tow me dispatcher error but the tow driver needed cash ONLy on. Saturday .... Load 1 aka John authoriZed a Com data check since I was right in a Pilot! I mean I don't carry $500 in cash.... Neither Carrier was compelled to do what they did..., it was just the human thing to do....and just when you think you have all your bases covered fate steps in

ntimevan

Veteran Expediter
Owner/Operator
In all reality there was no real target group..... :) just was reading back and noted how many times "carrier has back " was used.... And thinking back over my history of 2 USA carriers and 2 Canadian carriers over the last 16 years.... Seems carriers have a 4 yr shelf life for me... Or should I say it takes 4 years for the smoke to settle and see the distance? Lol

I knew you wasn't aiming a certain way....just me stirring 2 pots at a time....:p

Attachments

• 1427743625630.jpg
    1427743625630.jpg
    61 KB · Views: 26
Reactions: OntarioVanMan