Carrier can convert a Dry Box to a reefer?????

Packy

Seasoned Expediter
Has anyone had the experience of taking a dry box and have someone like Carrier to insulate and reskin the inside of the box and insulate the floor of the box to make it into a reefer box that can pass T valve. The lead time is only two weeks vs six weeks to have a new reefer box put on the frame.

FedEx Custom Critical
Fleet Owner & Operator
D Units

greg334

Veteran Expediter
Wasn't this already asked?

If so the answer is the same, there is too much that goes into building a reefer box it is far better to find one used and stick it on there.

The other question is about t-val, why would you want to do that unless you are already accepted by FedEx? You don't need t-val.

ATeam

Retired Expediter
Yes, the question was asked before, and the answer is still the same. See: http://www.expeditersonline.com/dcforum/DCForumID16/1901.html#10

Perhaps the reason few if any expediters have converted a dry box to a reefer is because it is not worth doing. I've never done it and would not seriously consider it. It is hard to see how such a move would solve more problems than it causes, especially with TVAL in mind. TVAL equipment is high-tech, state-of-the-art stuff. Cobbling together a reefer body out of a dry box runs counter to the quality and reliability TVAL is about.

greg334

Veteran Expediter
"TVAL equipment is high-tech, state-of-the-art stuff."

Huh? high tech? It seems to me that the technology used for part of the temp validation is a few years behind the rest of the world.

Refer Hauler

Expert Expediter
As stated before you are better off buying a used reefer box. all aspects of the box need to be rebuilt or exchanged.

for instance:

aa: Certain commodoties require an aluminum floor(not usualy found in a dry box}that can be sanitized before and after certain loads. walls need to be Kemlite lined for cleaning also.

bb: Is the front of your current box re-enforced for a cooling unit?

cc: rear doors and frames will need to be changed. regardless if they are roll-up or swing. swing doors use a reccesed type door frame to accomodate the seals.

dd: will your refridgerated insurance cover a converted unit?

Pick up a Truckpaper,numerous suppliers; you can change out a box in a day or two at the most.

If I showed up with homemade or modified refer I would be sent away empty.

davekc

Senior Moderator
Staff member
Fleet Owner
You are getting excellent advice that highly discourages the conversion of a dry van to a refridgerated one.

Again it is the same answer this time around.

NO, NO, and NO. Followed by another NO.

Davekc
owner
23 years
PantherII
EO moderator