Cargo Van Cargo Van Weight Limit???

Nytmare897

Seasoned Expediter
I drive a 2006 Ford E-250 Cargo van that has a 2000 lbs Payload Capacity. What is the limit I should haul loads? 2100? 2500? What? Suggestions please.

mjmsprt40

Veteran Expediter
Owner/Operator
That sorta depends. How long do you plan to keep this van? Does getting pulled over by LEO if you're obviously way overloaded bother you? Do you like springs, axles, tires and so on, or do you consider things like these expendable on a monthly basis?

However much you decide, be aware that it takes longer to stop a heavy load, and that getting it started poses a strain on the entire drive train. Running an overloaded van through mountain country is AN EXPERIENCE you might decide not to have twice.

Right now--- my inclination would be to stay within the specs. Next time around, get a beefier van. I have a 1998 Chevy 2500 series that's good for 2950 payload--- I checked it out on the CAT scales at a truck stop-- and it's just at the upper limit at that weight. Even so--- nearly 3,000 gets noticed rather quickly in hot weather in mountain country, and I'm right glad I don't have to run that sort of weight very often.

Reactions: schwanman

xiggi

Veteran Expediter
Owner/Operator
First you need to go to a cat scale with you, fuel and personal items aboard. Then you will know the true weight of the van. You might be suprised but your already probably using several hundred lbs of that 2000 allotted.

schwanman

Expert Expediter
Remember max height, width, hazmat, etc will get you more loads. Overweight will decrease life of vehicle. Like xiggi said: scale and use your numbers on van post door to determine load capacity. If you go by the numbers you should be safe. Just my 2 cents.

xmudman

Veteran Expediter
Owner/Operator
When you scale, make sure to split the van fairly evenly between the first two plates on the scale, so that you have weights for each axle. You might find the van will handle better if you move some of your stuff rearward. Since I put the spare tire underneath the van where it belongs, my weight distribution is 50/50 :)

xmudman

Veteran Expediter
Owner/Operator
Also, bring something to press the button on the scale with; those buttons are at the right height for the driver of an 18 wheeler, so it's a looong way up for a vanner :eek:

Ragman

Veteran Expediter
Retired Expediter
Turtle, get an after market bucket extender and go for 8 gallons.
DSCN2031.jpg

mjmsprt40

Veteran Expediter
Owner/Operator
The upshot of all of this is that the recommended limit is there for a reason. Nytmare, if you exceed those limits-- especially if you do it often-- you will have a nightmare to go with your "handle".

The recommended limit gives you a bit of a safety margin. Go to that point but not over, and you have reasonable expectation of your vehicle being safe and having a lifespan that allows you to make a few bucks. Go over that limit--- and you're on your own. Anything bad happens and it comes out that you were overweight, you can forget about any warrantees, and in an accident your overweight will count against you even if the other driver was at fault.

In my opinion--- stick with the label. That's your legal limit.

Edit; add-on: Most of us are paid by the mile. The ones who aren't are paid on some sort of percentage basis. For those of us paid by the mile-- like me, for example-- the pay is the exact same whether I haul a 25 lb box or a 2,500 lb pallet. The 25 lb box puts much less strain on the equipment and on the driver-- the way the vehicle handles when it's heavy can put strain on the driver-- than the heavy pallet does. Same money, less wear and tear. I'd haul 50 lb boxes all the time and be happy when you consider that the pay is the same. The difference is that the higher weight capabilities open you up to more possibilities to get a run.

Get a beefier van to be able to run heavier loads. But, in the meantime with what you have, keeping it legal will make the vehicle safer and last longer.

Last edited:
Reactions: Turtle

Opel2010

Veteran Expediter
Owner/Operator
I drive a 2006 Ford E-250 Cargo van that has a 2000 lbs Payload Capacity. What is the limit I should haul loads? 2100? 2500? What? Suggestions please.

Are you sure that it says only 2000 lbs? Just asking because a friend of mine had a 2003 E-250 and the payload was somewhere close to 3000. And once, with the same van he hauled a 4700 lbs load from TX to OH...

Moot

Veteran Expediter
Owner/Operator
Are you sure that it says only 2000 lbs?
There is only one way to know for sure what your payload capacity is. Weigh your van with you on board and a full tank of fuel. Subtract that weight from the GVWR on the door frame tag.

Reactions: schwanman

mjmsprt40

Veteran Expediter
Owner/Operator
Are you sure that it says only 2000 lbs? Just asking because a friend of mine had a 2003 E-250 and the payload was somewhere close to 3000. And once, with the same van he hauled a 4700 lbs load from TX to OH...
Ford and Chevy both made vans with several different weight ratings. Within the 250/2500 classification you had lightweights like the one the OP has to relative heavyweights like the one your friend has. The way you can tell what you have is the door plate. It tells you what YOUR VAN is capable of. Can you overload it (like your friend did) and get away with it? Sure, once in a while. It's not a good idea but it can be done. That 4,700 lb load took most of the spring travel (if not all of it) and put the engine under increased load, plus the brakes had to stop that heavier weight too. If he had gotten pulled over by LEO for any reason he would have been a sitting duck with that overload too. But--- every now and then you can get away with it.

Reactions: Opel2010

OntarioVanMan

Retired Expediter
Owner/Operator
If I were 35 again and knew what I know now.....
I'd get me a CHEAP CV and run the crap out of it...I'd run cheap , fast and heavy....when it broke down biggie repair that is.....toss it and get another....I :) Volume over quality..