Cargo Van/Sprinter 12 volt A/C

comet_4298

Seasoned Expediter
Has anyone come up with a good 12 volt a/c system for a cv or sprinter that will keep you comfortable for about 6 to 8 hours,before the batteries need to be recharged?
Not really wanting to add a generator.
I do have room for about 3 to 4 batteries under the bed and have a 220 amp alternator.

xiggi

Veteran Expediter
Owner/Operator
Espar of Michigan is a dealer for one brand. RLENT on here has one on his sprinter If he sees your post I imagine he will give some input.

greg334

Veteran Expediter
I am trying to figure out where the 5 grand goes to? It surely isn't the compressor, condenser or the evaporator. It doesn't seem to the the control unit or the motor - all of that comes in just under a grand.

Turtle

Administrator
Staff member
Retired Expediter
12 volt air conditioners are expensive for the same reason 12 volt clothes dryers are expensive, and the same reason that a 1.7 cubic foot 12 volt refrigerator costs $600 while its 110 volt counterpart is about $100 - because they don't contain the same hardware as traditional 110 volt appliances.

The link above supplied by Jack contains no 12 volt air conditioners that I could find. All Coleman air conditioners, other than their portable evaporative units, are 110 volts.

Anything 12 volt under about three grand is going to be an evaporative cooler, which is useless if it's over about 50% humidity.

greg334

Veteran Expediter
Yea I know the 12 volt thing - danfoss and swing compressors rule but a Sanden 508 and a stout 12 volt motor seems to make it possible too.

All the items you need to 'build' a 5500 A/C unit can be bought under a grand - except that fancy electrical control and can be easily serviced.