cargo/van sleeper photos

Moot

Veteran Expediter
Owner/Operator
Conflicting definitions. I always thought a standard pallet was 48x48 and a 40x48 was a reduced size pallet.

Leo, we went around and around with this a few years ago. A standard 4-way pallet measures 48 x 40. This is the gold standard. Or if you are into CHEP pallets, the blue standard.

Yea I know a pallet is a pallet is a pallet. A pallet could be 48 x 72 loaded with Formica® or it could be 12" x 12" loaded with 4 lead ingots or anything beyond or in between. I've been in this business for 30+ years and have seen my share of "pallets", most likely way more than you. If a shipper says I've got a 24 pallet shipment, that means 24 - 48 x 40 pallets unless specified differently or a moron chip is in play.

All grocery warehouses consider a 48 x 40 standard until they tell you to break it down and put it on their "small wood". If you use the term pallet in a trucking forum or in a transportation in general context then 48 x 40 is where its at.

LDB

Veteran Expediter
Retired Expediter
Hey. I've eaten and slept since then. I do recall the discussion of pallets previously but didn't recall the decision that 48x40 was standard and 48x48 was oversize. It certainly seems like almost every one of my loads is on 48x48 pallets though.

Moot

Veteran Expediter
Owner/Operator
It certainly seems like almost every one of my loads is on 48x48 pallets though.

If almost every one your loads is on a 48 x 48 pallet then that would certainly qualify as a common size for you. I was referring to 48 x 40 as an industry standard and not Leo specific.

LDB

Veteran Expediter
Retired Expediter
I think it's the aliens. They take my loads on industry standard 48x40 pallets and make the pallets appear an odd size when they're mostly standard size. The aliens are always looking for ways to mess with you.

Moot

Veteran Expediter
Owner/Operator
I think it's the aliens. The aliens are always looking for ways to mess with you.

Ain't that the truth! When I was a kid aliens ate my Uncle George's Buick. The car was parked on the ice of Lake Mille Lacs so it could have been Natives. Maybe they just stole the hubcaps. It was a long time ago and I can't recall the details but I remember him being very upset.

Dakota

Veteran Expediter
Leo, we went around and around with this a few years ago. A standard 4-way pallet measures 48 x 40. This is the gold standard. Or if you are into CHEP pallets, the blue standard.

Yea I know a pallet is a pallet is a pallet. A pallet could be 48 x 72 loaded with Formica® or it could be 12" x 12" loaded with 4 lead ingots or anything beyond or in between. I've been in this business for 30+ years and have seen my share of "pallets", most likely way more than you. If a shipper says I've got a 24 pallet shipment, that means 24 - 48 x 40 pallets unless specified differently or a moron chip is in play.

All grocery warehouses consider a 48 x 40 standard until they tell you to break it down and put it on their "small wood". If you use the term pallet in a trucking forum or in a transportation in general context then 48 x 40 is where its at.

Ahhhh good old Chep Pallets aka blue wood, bringing back memories of working at Walmart Distribution. I do hate those pallets now especially in the winter when my pallet jack is slow, since they are so tall. Solution....I carry a few foot long two by fours and place them in the gap between skid and pallet jack, works like a charm!!!
And to think I left that job making 15.50 and still hadn't maxed out. The walls were closing in on me, and the road was calling

Last edited:

skyraider

Veteran Expediter
US Navy
I keep a Black and Decker pallett adjuster under my seat, does a good job to. I can cut to fit,amen

skyraider

Veteran Expediter
US Navy
I guess after the laughter on those photos I will need to come up with something. I do like the vw and the flatbed pics. My dodge is really basic boring, 4x8 piece of plywood, homemade bed behind seats, a hospital transporter mattress, and some Goodwill curtains to block off the bed, yep real creative there guys. Window air conditioner for summer, in side door, and a :):)generator, and microwave. I'm not gonna win any awards,lol...

Not to mention the pack rat stuff I seem to accumulate, my I need a garage sale at the Pilot someday.