Cargo van sleeper laws

Newtothis

Seasoned Expediter
Hi all sorry if this topic has been covered before but I couldn't find the answer when searched.
When teaming in a cargo van are there any laws pertaining to the use of the sleeper when loaded and or in motion? For instance does the partition have to be up even for non hazmat? I read safety belts are required in some cases, is this true of vans or just DOT regulated sleepers?
Thanks for any input.

paullud

Veteran Expediter
Different states have different laws pertaining to the use of seat belts when you are not in the front seats.

Sent from my ADR6400L using EO Forums

chefdennis

Veteran Expediter
You answered your own question...since those CV/Sprinters that are under 10,001 gvw are not regulated by the Fed Gov/DOT...there are no regulations pertaining to CV's of that size....none, nata, -0-....Oh , and you don't NEED a bunkhead, unless you are carrying Haz-mat..or unless the carrier requires it...I don't have 1....

Turtle

Administrator
Staff member
Retired Expediter
You don't need a bulkhead even if you are carrying HAZMAT.

There are certain types of HAZMAT that you are not permitted to haul in the cab of the truck. For a cargo van, then entire van is the cab of the truck, whether you have a bulkhead or not. Installing a bulkhead (or partition) will not allow you to haul any HAZMAT that is prohibited from being hauled in the cab, i.e., inhalation hazards, most poisons, etc.

While it is true that less-than 10,001 GVW cargo vans and Sprinters are not regulated by the DOT, they are, in fact, regulated whenever they meet the definition of a Commercial Motor vehicle, namely, whenever they are placarded. That doesn't mean that if you are placarded, and are therefore a CMV, that you have to install a sleeper in a van. You're simply a placarded day cab at that point. Log accordingly.

Occupant restraints required by the DOT only apply to Commercial Motor Vehicles with an actual sleeper berth, not unregulated cargo vans that simply have a space where you can sleep. State laws cover seat belts and other passenger restraints. Regardless of the state law, it makes sense to have restraints on the sleeping person if the vehicle is in motion.

Newtothis

Seasoned Expediter
Thank you all, was just trying to plan ahead on teaming and had this of many wonders floating around. May go ahead and put a belt in to be on safe side.

cableguymn

Seasoned Expediter
Thank you all, was just trying to plan ahead on teaming and had this of many wonders floating around. May go ahead and put a belt in to be on safe side.

Belt might not be safe either given your laying down, in the wrong place it could kill you just as easily as not having one at all.. I'd look at a sleeper in a T/T or straight truck for placement of belts in the sleeper for ideas.

Rocketman

Veteran Expediter
Belt might not be safe either given your laying down, in the wrong place it could kill you just as easily as not having one at all.. I'd look at a sleeper in a T/T or straight truck for placement of belts in the sleeper for ideas.

definitely don't wrap it around her neck...unless....ahhh na...never mind :D

Newtothis

Seasoned Expediter
Have you guys had secret fantasies of strangling your co-driver by seatbelt... Or is that why you run solo?? Wow so much for safety belts