Cargo van dream

CrazyWhite91

Rookie Expediter
Researching
I've been reading and reading and I'm ready to take that step in driving for an owner to get some experience. Do owners only hire experiemce? I am a safe driver and think this job would be fun. I love to drive and I would like to go O/O someday. I've gotten in contact with about 7 different companies on finding owners to drive for and no one wants to put me in a van. Should I just do OTR tractor for a year or should I keep trying?

Ragman

Veteran Expediter
Retired Expediter
I've been reading and reading and I'm ready to take that step in driving for an owner to get some experience. Do owners only hire experiemce? I am a safe driver and think this job would be fun. I love to drive and I would like to go O/O someday. I've gotten in contact with about 7 different companies on finding owners to drive for and no one wants to put me in a van. Should I just do OTR tractor for a year or should I keep trying?
If you've been "reading and reading", then you know about driving a van for somebody else is a sure way to go broke. Is there a reason you don't want to drive a straight truck?

crich

Expert Expediter
Fleet Manager
US Navy
your young that has alot to do with insurance rates. Do you have a CDL? how long you have had it plays a role also. best way to make money with a van at your age is to not have any expense such as rent and utilities.trade off your car and get your own van. Live in that thing for a couple years then look at your bank account.if your happy with the balance then keep on trucking. If not put the thing on ebay and go get a real job.

geo

Veteran Expediter
Charter Member
Retired Expediter
US Navy
one thing you should do is see when next class for expediting is and sign up for it
if it is close to you
they cover just about everything you can think of
  • also up coming expo ,will have a lot of info to

Dallen323

Seasoned Expediter
Driver
Do you have a cdl? if so it wouldnt hurt you to go run otr for a year or two. then bring your experience and apply for a straight truck or van job.