Cargo Van Cargo Van Capacity: 2 pallets vs 3 pallets

David

New Recruit
Researching
I'm currently an owner operator (tractor-trailer) looking to retire soon. Looking at part-time expediter opportunities to basically fund travel for a decade or two. Have plenty of cash reserves to buy a new Ford Transit Van, but am on the fence about pallet carrying capacity. Spec'd Transit van has a cargo length of 13.85', so I could potentially fit 3 pallets. Have full interior layout worked out in CAD software so that the sleeper could be temporarily converted to fit three pallets and still sleep comfortably.

My question: Is there any advantage to having capacity for the third pallet? Is there a need for that much capacity in the cargo van segment? Specs are below, if that helps. Any advice or thoughts are appreciated!

2016 Transit Van XL 350
Extended Length
High Roof Height
3.2L I5 Diesel Engine
3.31 Limited Slip Axle
6-Speed SelectShift® Automatic Transmission - O/D
Single Rear Wheel (Body Code: W3X)
Gross Vehicle Weight Rating: 9500 GVWR
Payload: 3,640 lbs
Towing: 4,200 lbs

Last edited:

Mike99

Veteran Expediter
Yes bigger is better. But with 3 skids no room for a bed. So you have to built a rase bed or something.Also I would go with gas engine. But this is up to you. I have one, currently 85kmiles ,not a single issue.Also you sure on gvw on that 350?

Last edited:

xiggi

Veteran Expediter
Owner/Operator
It depends partly on what carrier you sign with. Some require 3 skid capacity some do not.

Worn Out Manager

Veteran Expediter
Owner/Operator
US Air Force
I have that van and my bunk is behind the seats mounted on 4 alum posts. if I get 3 skids I raise the bunk out of the way, so far it has worked for me. 3 skid loads about 10% of the time. That being said, I followed the advice of others on EO and got tallest/longest and have never regretted it! 3.5 gas works great.

geo

Veteran Expediter
Charter Member
Retired Expediter
US Navy
I have a sprinter and run for ceva local in state of va you could do 3 pallets and have room for a sleeper
also sell sprinters and we have some good deals going on right now, send pm and give you a call
I have my sprinter set up with rollers in floor, helps with heavy loads
biggest load I ever had was 14'3" long x 48"x48" load it with a forklift,
forklift lift load up the load and back under load, whole load was 1,800 lbs
off load the same way forklift pick up load and drove out from it under it

DollarSign

Fleet Owner
Owner/Operator
Yes bigger is better. But with 3 skids no room for a bed. So you have to built a rase bed or something.Also I would go with gas engine. But this is up to you. I have one, currently 85kmiles ,not a single issue.Also you sure on gvw on that 350?
The Ford Transit T350 you can get 9500 GVRW. I like the Transit but love the Sprinter for the room.

Reactions: Treadmill

Unclebob

Expert Expediter
Owner/Operator
I have the Transit 350 high roof extended with 3.5 EcoBoost engine and 3.31 LS rear end.

My bunk is on the side wall behind the drivers seat and folds up out of the way if I need to put 3 skids in.

90% of my loads are 2 skids or less. Having the capacity for that third skid just gives you more load opportunities though.

With the emission control systems on today's diesel engines and the poor quality of diesel fuel available in many parts of this country I definitely wouldn't go with diesel engine again.

On the other hand unlike the sprinters and pro masters I haven't heard any negative reports about the Ford diesel engines. But it's still a bigger risk then I'd want to take.

Sent from my STUDIO6_0HD using Tapatalk

Reactions: ntimevan and Moot

Unclebob

Expert Expediter
Owner/Operator
What kind of mileage are you getting?
Usually about 17 to 18 depending on conditions.

Of course in the winter using the Espar heater pretty much messes up getting any type of mpg ratings.

Tim Xpedites

Expert Expediter
Owner/Operator
I'm an owner operator I own a 2012 Ford E350 super duty XLT cargo van, I can haul a total of 2 1/2 pallets I cannot get the third Pallet no matter what I try and do but I have never ever had a reason to need room for three pallets. The max weight I have ever hauled in this cargo van has been 3,150 pounds. My brother currently owns a 2009 model of the same exact van I have and he currently has over 500,000 miles on the odometer, never a single issue internally within the engine whatsoever. It has been a great work horse, no problems at all. Just your typical maintenance. I had thought about going with a sprinter or a transit to change things up and possibly make more money but I don't know if my dispatch was blowing smoke up my ass or not but he told me that they used to pay better money for taller more awkward type loads but nowadays they don't pay any more than the regular Load pays out??? Any information regarding this matter would be greatly appreciated!

P.s. I get anywhere from 16.4 all the way up to 17.2 miles per gallon pending how much weight and/or road conditions, winds etc.

Moot

Veteran Expediter
Owner/Operator
Not knowing what carrier you are leased to makes it difficult to properly answer your question. Reading your post I'm not sure exactly what your question is. If you have a question about how your carrier pays for different loads, be more specific in your questioning.

Tim Xpedites

Expert Expediter
Owner/Operator
Not knowing what carrier you are leased to makes it difficult to properly answer your question. Reading your post I'm not sure exactly what your question is. If you have a question about how your carrier pays for different loads, be more specific in your questioning.
Are you referring to me or the original poster? If you are referring to me what I meant was do you make better and or more money using a sprinter van and/or a transit van in comparison to using a cargo van, I have been told in the past that sprinters make better money because they can either Haul more or more oddball type loads due to their height and width? I guess because a sprinter can accept more loads due to its height compared to my van I can only go so tall so that would restrict me from getting loads that a sprinter could or would get. I was told by a driver in the past that drove a sprinter that they would get specialize loads that paid better than a cargo van could take. But when I mentioned that to my dispatch he said it used to be that way where sprinters would make more money because they were capable of taking different size loads and such but it is not that way anymore?

Treadmill

Veteran Expediter
Owner/Operator
Are you referring to me or the original poster? If you are referring to me what I meant was do you make better and or more money using a sprinter van and/or a transit van in comparison to using a cargo van, I have been told in the past that sprinters make better money because they can either Haul more or more oddball type loads due to their height and width? I guess because a sprinter can accept more loads due to its height compared to my van I can only go so tall so that would restrict me from getting loads that a sprinter could or would get. I was told by a driver in the past that drove a sprinter that they would get specialize loads that paid better than a cargo van could take. But when I mentioned that to my dispatch he said it used to be that way where sprinters would make more money because they were capable of taking different size loads and such but it is not that way anymore?
It depends what carrier you are with.

Moot

Veteran Expediter
Owner/Operator
Are you referring to me or the original poster?
I was replying to your questions in post 15. Like Treadmill said: "It depends on what carrer you are with." If you sign a contract that states a higher pay rate for freight over 4' high and 8' long, then you get the higher rate. If your contract has no stipulation for "Sprinter size" freight, then you negotiate, turn the load down or haul it at the set rate. Read your contract, it contains all sorts of crazyass stuff.

Unclebob

Expert Expediter
Owner/Operator
For me it's all about creature comforts. In my transit I can stand upright and walk around with no problems at all.

Sometimes I make more money on a "sprinter" load but other times I make more money for a five pound box sitting on the floor behind the driver seat.

I'm not on a fixed rate I get a percentage of the total line haul. As said before it all depends on the carrier that you drive for and what you contract says.