Cancelled load from Panther

slfisher45

Expert Expediter
I was sitting at a truck stop in Columbia SC. I was offered a load that picked up in NC 188 miles out. I accepted the load and drove towards the shipper immediately. I didn't receive the shipper directions so I messaged the dipatcher on the Qualcomm. The response was, "I wasn't on the load." I called dispatch and inquired about the job. I was put on hold for a few minutes and got a response that was new to me. It seems a driver before me had turned down the job and a dispatcher noticed the turn down and offered the job to another driver and pulled me off the job by mistake. The next driver started rolling on the job. They were offered a $99 dry run and pulled off the job and it was returned to me. I felt justified and was assured the truth had been told. A dispatchers mistake was acknowledged and rectified. I suspect the other driver was told the same thing. Mistakes happen and I feel no one lied.

redytrk

Veteran Expediter
Charter Member
Here is a case where your carrier should be identified, Safeguards should be built into the system to prevent this sort of thing from happening. IE...Better software or dispatcher training. I agree any body can make a mistake,but many can be prevented.
GO FISH

PS just re-read your post,you did identify your carrier. Hopefully they will be lurking and will take heed.

LDB

Veteran Expediter
Retired Expediter
Again, I don't roll until the POD info and directions also come across the QC. I don't consider the load official until all that info is received.

Leo Bricker, 73's K5LDB, OOIDA Life Member 677319
Owner, Panther trucks 5508, 5509, 5641
Highway Watch Participant, Truckerbuddy
EO Forum Moderator
----------
Support the entire Constitution, not just the parts you like.

slfisher45

Expert Expediter
The intention of my post was to identify a good thing. I read in this forum negative posts all the time about companys and dispatchers screwing over drivers. I wish I could hear both sides of these complaints to really understand their problems.

slfisher45

Expert Expediter
The load was accepted and I rolled, time was tight and I've never had a p/u or delivery failure. Waiting for all the information is generally a good idea. There are exceptions, that was one.
I quit rolling immediately on jobs after I rolled on a QCd power search.

Tennesseahawk

Veteran Expediter
I don't know if it's a good thing. They could've just as easily kept the other truck on the run and given you some excuse. It makes me wonder what they told him.

I agree with Redytrk. They need a failsafe in the system that doesn't allow dispatch to offer a load that's already has someone dispatched on it. Dispatchers don't tend to pay attention to detail, so the software should counteract that.

"If I claim to be a wise man, it surely means that I don't know." - Kansas

slfisher45

Expert Expediter
Thawk wrote: "I don't know if it's a good thing. They could've just as easily kept the other truck on the run and given you some excuse. It makes me wonder what they told him.

That is my point, it would have been easier to leave the other driver on the job, but they didn't. I have no reason to believe they didn't tell him the truth.....

Broompilot

Veteran Expediter
Come on guys Leo, Thawk I side with Silver on this. Mistakes happen, heck I have been yanked off a job before upset? Could of been but what good is that gona do me? If this became a regular habit, yeah someone should be twisted into knots but once a quarter or twice a year, crap happens.

As for rolling, well all companies are different but there is certin person in our office who calls up and just says "head to XYZ City" that means exactly that and than call back in for PU info about 15 minutes befoe hitting the city limits. Each company has different policies, I realize your at the same company Leo, but I am gona jump at all load offers I like, just ask how high is the only question.

panther_art

Expert Expediter
A lot of changes are taking place at panther dispatch because of what has been going on in the last few weeks. If all the steps are not taken then if you were offered a load and they did not confirm that you did not want that load via qc or cell or home phone if you are sitting at home. That load is yours unless you do not respond in the 15 mins. If load was given to another driver before you had time to respond they must give you the load back.
Dispatchers are human and they make mistakes yes but sometimes they get in to much a rush and forget how they are suppose to do there job.

Panther is a great company and I think they got some really good dispatchers but when dispatchers try and do there job the way they want to then Panther ends up with a lot of upset drivers. And unless we as drivers don't report things that happen Panther can not fix them to make sure they don't happen again.

Panther Art

davekc

Senior Moderator
Staff member
Fleet Owner
I am kinda with Broom on this one. Through the year we may have one or two cancellations per year, per truck. I wouldn't say it has occurred with any frequency in our case.
And you could probably add a couple more of, getting to the shipper and finding the load is too heavy, or doesn't fit.
It happens, and is just the nature of the business. More often than not, it is the shipper who made the mistake.

Davekc
owner
22 years
PantherII
EO moderator

terryandrene

Veteran Expediter
Safety & Compliance
US Coast Guard
Concur with Broom and Dave on this one. My carrier, the name of which I don't want to mention, makes the occasional mistake but the occurances are so seldom as to not loose a lot of sleeper time over it. We are probably unknowingly the beneficiary of carrier mistakes as we are knowingly the victim. It all evens out in the wash.

heel4you

Expert Expediter
We had a similar experience with a load cancelling. We received all of our qc messages. Before we took off we called dispatch to let them know that there was no way we could make the pickup time (we were showing late when we got the load). They said don't worry, it will be ok. So, we took off. 65 miles down the road we were told we had been pulled from the load and it was given to someone closer that could make the pickup on time. Ok, that was fine. QC'd dispatch to get our dry run and were told no problem.
I checked on the Panther site to make sure that it was on the payables, it was. I checked the next day and it had been removed. Sent a message through Panther site asking for DR pay and was told that the QC showed no movement on the load, so no pay. Well I was not happy, we moved 65 miles on the load. Tried one more time with all of the info save from the QC and was given the DR pay as "good will".
Now, not really sure, but the QC should have shown a 65 mile move! It was all documented on the QC with our messages, but for some reason they did not show the mileage.
Always write down all QC messages (time, date and who sent the message) on things like this cause you may never know when you will need them. One more thing, I always check the Panther site on our payables to make sure they are posted and correct. This time it saved us losing 99.00.
Thanks to Panther and the QC this Dry run was made good on. Don't ever take anything for granted. Check and re-check!!!
Laura

davekc

Senior Moderator
Staff member
Fleet Owner
At the time the load cancelled, you can also ask them where they are pinging you. There is a record of your location, every time a message is sent to you. It is on my owners screen for every truck.
Once that is checked, your problem should be cleared up.

One thing that has been mentioned before, but is worth repeating in this thread on cancellations. With more trucks sitting and shippers knowing it, they will pit carriers against one another for the cheapest rate. This causes a cancellation for the ones that lose the load to a competitor.
Just something to be aware of.

Davekc
owner
22 years
PantherII
EO moderator

Tennesseahawk

Veteran Expediter
That's my point. If it happens once or twice, it's a mistake. As many times as we hear of it, it's a bad habit.

"If I claim to be a wise man, it surely means that I don't know." - Kansas

panther_art

Expert Expediter
Any one every play that old game where about 20 people set around in a circle and the first person would start a story and wisper in the next persons ear and on to the next and by the time it got all the way around the circle it would be something that had nothing to do with the orignal story.
Sometimes I think these treads are the same way, the beginning of this tread was 2 dispatcher sending out the same load offer to 2 different trucks and the one cancelling out the other then it turns into shippers canceling loads which has nothing to do with the other.
Shippers can cancel loads, but unless you are not moving on your load in a timely fashion then dispatch has the right to take you off that load.

heel4you

Expert Expediter
Panther_art,
Sorry if you thought the thread went off track. Just thought I would share an experience.
I believe some good information was shared here.
Thanks to all who shared pertinent information.
Laura

highway star

Veteran Expediter
Owner/Operator
Last Tuesday I was sent to a mold shop that had 2 skids weighing 10,000# each. I had to tell him that my E350 wouldn't handle quite that much.

Turtle

Administrator
Staff member
Retired Expediter
I got a load out of Columbia, SC yesterday, as well. 72 DH (turned out to be 87 DH) for 315 loaded, but it took me to Montgomery, AL, where I could either sit along side the other van that was already there for a week or DH to Birmingham or Huntsville. Turned it down. They called me back half hour later and offered it again. I asked them to toss me some pocket change to help with the deadhead I'd have to do after the drop, and they agreed. So I took it. I had 87 DH on the front, plus 30 after my previous delivery, plus 100 after the delivery up to Birmingham. I asked for $25, which is plenty fair, I think. 11.5 cents per mile, didn't quite cover all fuel for the DH, but covered enough.

It was already gonna be tight if I had accepted it the first time, and by the time I accepted it the second time it didn't leave enough time to make the pickup. But with mostly 70MPH Interstate in front of me, I knew I'd get there between 10 and 15 minutes late, which I did. About half way there I got a call from dispatch, they were having trouble getting a ping on me and it looked like I hadn't moved on the load. I told them that I was still sitting at the truck stop, that my van wouldn't start.

Over the phone, even, I could see her eyes get really big and her jaw drop in utter disbelief.

"Just kidding, I'm rolling. I'll be there by 1610" tee hee hee

Couldn't resist. The previous morning, the morning the ice storm slammed into Greenville, SC I had an 8AM pickup for a 9AM delivery, 12 loaded miles, $50 mini. I get there and instead of once piece, 1800 pounds, it's seven pieces, 1800 pounds. I can only fit 6 of them in the van. Called dispatch and told them what the deal was, and told them that I could take all seven of them in two trips and have them all delivered by 0900. Total miles would only be 36, so it'd still be a mini. That, or they could send over a straight truck or something, and I could ice skate back to the truck stop. They said stand by.

6 hours later they call me and tell me to take 6 pieces over and they will dispatch another van for the 7th piece. The other driver turned it down, twice, and they finally offered him like $80 to take it. For 30 minutes work. Not bad. They paid me the $50 mini, plus 3.75 hours of $15 an hour detention (I can have that operation now), about $100 for 6.5 hours work.

And I'd have had all seven pieces delivered, on time, for the $50. Go figure.

This was on the heels of two day prior where I was dispatched 125 miles to pick up freight that didn't exist. Was shipped out a day earlier, and it took 3 hours to figure that out. And, as it turns out, it wouldn't have fit in the van, regardless (tho one can hardly blame Panther for that, except they freight and pickup time confirmation was never even attempted, but then again, apparently, confirmations from 3rd party customers never, ever, happen). Another 5 hours wasted.

Yeah, mistakes happen, but seriously, for a cargo van, non-existent freight and/or excessive delays over one hour at the pickup should happen once, twice a year, maybe. It's happening a couple of times times a month, and no one seems to care. My current success rate of finding real, actual, tangible freight at a UPS Freight terminal is 25%. The rest of the time it's simply not there for whatever reason. Freight-there, or not-there, can be determined by a simple phone call prior to dispatch by a CSR. But they don't have time for that. Their time is important. The driver's time, apparently, isn't.

If they paid the proper going rate for detention, then the current rate of frequency and time of detention would disappear within a week, and they're more many more hours available to actually haul freight. It's bad enough when time is recklessly wasted with a van driver, but at least my hours log isn't melting away.

I'm feelin' a little froggy today. :+

What happens if a big asteroid hits the Earth?
Judging from exhaustive and repeated realistic
simulations involving a sledge hammer and a
common frog, we can assume it will be pretty bad.