Can you work for more than one company?

transporter

Expert Expediter
if in wreck with more than one leased companies freight on board insurance companies will fight over who is going to pay
a truck by law can only have one dot number on truck and that number has to match with freight. so in wreck you are hauling illegally so no insurance coverage

Deville

Not a Member
if in wreck with more than one leased companies freight on board insurance companies will fight over who is going to pay
a truck by law can only have one dot number on truck and that number has to match with freight. so in wreck you are hauling illegally so no insurance coverage

Isn't that wht we carry additional Liablitly insurance?

greg334

Veteran Expediter
Isn't that wht we carry additional Liablitly insurance?

No, liability insurance is for ... well ... liability. Cargo insurance is for Cargo and that is the problem. What he is getting at is with loads from different companies on the truck at the same time who pays the claims?

davekc

Senior Moderator
Staff member
Fleet Owner
One has to be the primary carrier. It would require a addendum from the insurance carrier which is likely a third party. Most carriers aren't self insured. That only pertains to the cargo liability. The truck has its own liability insurance seperate from cargo. If the carrier doesn't insure multiple shipments, then you are essentially trip leasing.

nightcreacher

Veteran Expediter
If you were under your own authority,then you could partner with more than 1 company,but would Panther,or any other company let you lease to them and another at the same time.I don't think so.

hunter44a

Seasoned Expediter
What if you had 2 Cargo Vans and you've been sitting home and your buddy calls with a load so you take the van you have that is unleased and moved the load. Better than nothing right?

ebsprintin

Veteran Expediter
What if you had 2 Cargo Vans and you've been sitting home and your buddy calls with a load so you take the van you have that is unleased and moved the load. Better than nothing right?

What kind of insurance will you be carrying on that idle, standby van?

eb

BillChaffey

Veteran Expediter
Owner/Operator
US Navy
When I attended Orientation at Panther in August 2007 (CV). It was made quite clear, when your out of service Panther wanted their numbers covered.

Vinnie T

Seasoned Expediter
This is interesting. I see many carriers essentially double brokering or running trucks that are not insured when they do this. One of three things has to happen IMO for this to be legit.

1. The carriers is also a broker and brokers the load to the driver. The driver would have to have his own authority and be insured under his own policy. Hopefully the carrier and driver had a contract and rate agreement in place and the broker would make sure the carrier was insured in case any claims occured. I would hope the carrier would tell the customer the load was double brokered.

2. The carrier would have to add this truck to it's policy for the load

3. The carrier would have to treat the driver and truck as if it was a rented or leased vehicle and would have to have contingent cargo coverage and rental insurance (I think it's called any auto) on it's, policy to cover any claims.

Anything else would be dangerous because that truck has to be insured by someone. If not there is a very good chance the any claims would not be covered and denied by the insurance companies and there would be some lawsuits if that happened.

davekc

Senior Moderator
Staff member
Fleet Owner
Vinnie.

A O/O that is leased to a carrier, can broker a load if carrier permits, and run under that carriers authority. Load insurance can cover more than one shipment at a time. LTL folks do this all day long as well as many expediters.
In our case, if we put on more than one load, we have the appropriate insurance and the carrier is aware of what we are doing. Afterall, they are issuing the pro number, providing insurance, and collecting for that load.

Vinnie T

Seasoned Expediter
Vinnie.

A O/O that is leased to a carrier, can broker a load if carrier permits, and run under that carriers authority. Load insurance can cover more than one shipment at a time. LTL folks do this all day long as well as many expediters.
In our case, if we put on more than one load, we have the appropriate insurance and the carrier is aware of what we are doing. Afterall, they are issuing the pro number, providing insurance, and collecting for that load.

My main point is this. A O/O can run for more then one company IF, that truck is insured in some way shape or form under that carrier's policy he/she is running the load for. The carrier's customer assumes that truck is under their policy in case an accident or claim the insurer will pay it. If that truck is not under that policy, the insurance company will not pay the claim. The customer has a contract with the carrier, not the driver.

If you broker a load from someone, your carrier approves the customer and you will be insured under say Panther's policy. But they are self insured so thats a whole other situation, but it gives them much more flexibility.

Now as we both know to insure a truck, it costs that carrier money to do so (if they are not self insured as most small companies are not). Do we all think these carriers are insuring every vehicle that hauls for them? Would a carrier's insurance Co. insure a truck for a day? I outlined several ways that could be done and if one of those ways are not followed and there is a claim there is two recourses if the insurance company will not pay for it. Pay cash...or that carrier will be taken to court and found liable the the damages.

I think your focusing more on if a O/O can broker a load while being leased to a carrier if the carrier permits. I am focusing more on the topic of the thread.. O/O pulling for multiple carriers, not brokering a load through the carrier they are leased to as you describe. I worked with Wally at Panther, I know how it works LOL.

Last edited:

davekc

Senior Moderator
Staff member
Fleet Owner
Just buy insurance from a third party which is basically trip leasing. That just pertains to the cargo insurance. The truck insurance can either be from a third party or the carrier. Our insurance isn't with Panther even though we a leased to them.
Someone running for two carriers can do the same thing. One of the carriers would have to provide the authority but not necessarily the insurance.

Vinnie T

Seasoned Expediter
Just buy insurance from a third party which is basically trip leasing. That just pertains to the cargo insurance. The truck insurance can either be from a third party or the carrier. Our insurance isn't with Panther even though we a leased to them.
Someone running for two carriers can do the same thing. One of the carriers would have to provide the authority but not necessarily the insurance.

So you have cargo insurance? Ok well your insured, that's good. You are more responsible then most! I have seen carriers do some shady stuff, most would be surprised who does stuff like I am talking about.

Is it contingent cargo or do you have a normal 100K policy? I didn't know you could get cargo insruance without an authority. Learn something new every day!

davekc

Senior Moderator
Staff member
Fleet Owner
You can buy separate cargo insurance or a supplement to the carriers coverage. Since you are familiar with Panthers, if a load is a high dollar broker load, you must purchase additional insurance based on the value of the load to haul it. I would remind people also that the load insurance they provide has a 10k deductible.
Make sure you read the fine print in your lease.

Last edited:

Vinnie T

Seasoned Expediter
I think we just answered the main question of the original poster and contributed to this thread in a very positive way. BTW that's called contingent cargo insurance. It suppliments the carriers policy your working with if their policy fails to pay the claim and most will if they do not schedule your vehicle under their policy. Some companies have what's called Any Auto and will cover all trucks that haul for them and is very popular if the carrier leases or rents a lot of trucks from lets say Ryder or Penske. That should cover you as well if they have that but I would double check with an agent to be sure.

So if your running for multiple carriers make sure they cover you under their insurance, or get your own third party policy. If not and you get a claim.... could get very ugly!

Last edited:

nightcreacher

Veteran Expediter
Way I understand this,not brokering thru the company your leased to but loads from different companies,which then you would have to have multiple DOT numbers,unless your in a van,or have your own authority

Vinnie T

Seasoned Expediter
Way I understand this,not brokering thru the company your leased to but loads from different companies,which then you would have to have multiple DOT numbers,unless your in a van,or have your own authority

As long as the truck is insured with cargo and liability by yourself or the carrier your hauling for is all that really matters

transporter

Expert Expediter
you can only have one mc number on your truck. so unless you are using your own authority you can not have more than onecarriers freight at a time