cabover expeditor?

Bugsy Siegel

Seasoned Expediter
Just a thought, why not use a cabover for an expeditor? The Argosy looks like a nice truck, and it'd give some room for extra box length for carrying toys.

Just curious.

RichM

Veteran Expediter
Charter Member
That has been done. I once saw a LEA cabover with a 27 foot box on it. I also believe T Hawk drove something similar.

x06col

Veteran Expediter
Charter Member
Retired Expediter
US Army
Thats about all we use. Not for carrying "toys", but, freight.

Tennesseahawk

Veteran Expediter
You'll see one or two a year in the classifieds here. If you can get a later model, put a 28-30' box on it, you're lookin good. But they don't make as many, and the difficulty of finding anything newer than an '01 is starting to make the idea obsolete. At $95k for a new cabover, they aren't as affordable as they used to be. I'd still look into one if I could afford a new truck, as you have so many more options than with a conventional expediter.

-Vampire Super Slooth Trucker!!!

LDB

Veteran Expediter
Retired Expediter
There are some good threads on this in the archives. It's a popular topic fairly often. The newer Argosy has the air ride front axle and supposedly rides about as good as anything else out there. It also meets some really high crash test standards. With the 110"bbc model you can have a 30' box. If set up with a single axle plus a lift axle at least 8' from the drive axle you would meet bridge law for 52k I think. If you are satisfied with about a six foot sleeper it could be a good unit. It won't be available for a couple of years probably but Paccar was showing this at MATS: http://www.daftrucks.com/

Leo Bricker, 73's K5LDB, OOIDA Life Member 677319
Owner, Panther trucks 5508, 5509, 5641
Highway Watch Participant, Truckerbuddy
EO Forum Moderator
----------
Support the entire Constitution, not just the parts you like.

Bugsy Siegel

Seasoned Expediter
>Thats about all we use. Not for carrying "toys", but,
>freight.

Of course, wouldn't expect anything different from you.

However for the rest of us who have lives outside of the truck, we like to entertain ourselves.

Therefore, I will be bringing some toys along for the ride.

davekc

Senior Moderator
Staff member
Fleet Owner
I like the idea, but I doubt as a fleet owner I could get a team to run it. Sleeper is way too small when the demand is for ones greater in size. As a single, I would certainly have a interest or a Arogosy.

Davekc
owner
22 years
PantherII
EO moderator

x06col

Veteran Expediter
Charter Member
Retired Expediter
US Army
Dave, you may want to try one. There is way more room and storage than maybe meets the eye. I can't imagine a team needing more than 10-11 feet to live well in. I've teamed with some large cars, and we both had plenty of room.. Only problem i've found, the prospective teams were too ##### lazy to climb into it. And, they abviously wouldn't work out anyway.

davekc

Senior Moderator
Staff member
Fleet Owner
The newer Arogosy is a nice setup. Especially with the flat floor. Many years ago we ran quite a few KW aerodyne cabovers, but they were a pain because of the huge dog house.
Maybe pictures of the interior etc. might be a better selling point. As mentioned, if I was to run single, I would buy one in a heartbeat.
I can't imagine them being too tall to get in. The Arogosy use to have those air-assist fold out steps. Actually easier to get in than some conventionals.

Davekc
owner
22 years
PantherII
EO moderator

Dreamer

Administrator Emeritus
Charter Member
Found this pic in a folder of truck pics as we were clearing the hard drive of my old computer.

Not sure where I got this, must have saved it from a post sometime...would have had to be from a few years back.

Hope the Col doesn't mind! :) (I THINK it says Foster on the door anyway!)

Dreamer
Forums Administrator

--------------

"Good will, like a good name, is achieved by many actions and lost by one."

Zig Ziglar

Bugsy Siegel

Seasoned Expediter
That cabover expeditor actually looks kinda slick!

Correct me if I'm wrong, but the Argosy has a low profile doghouse, doesn't it? That should make it pretty easy to climb over. I guess the trick would be to find a used one in my price range that I could stretch.

Some day, I guess.

x06col

Veteran Expediter
Charter Member
Retired Expediter
US Army
It does not have a low profile dog house. It has no dog house at all. More storage and room than we ever need. Almost too big at times. That's alright Dreamer, I forgot about that one myself.

arkjarhead

Veteran Expediter
i had heard 2006 was gonna be the last year for the argosy. freightliner said it hasn't done good so they are cutting it.

Jack_Berry

Moderator Emeritus
i was just lookin' at the international site and they no longer offer the transtar coe. whats schneider gonna do for more tractors? i thought they bought new last year but i don't see any long hoods in orange out there.

Jack Berry

Bugsy Siegel

Seasoned Expediter
>It does not have a low profile dog house. It has no dog
>house at all. More storage and room than we ever need.
>Almost too big at times.

From the Freightliner website:

"Virtually no engine tunnel - just a 7-inch riser - to interfere with movement around the cab or with the optimal use of interior space"

Also has a picture there of the doghouse.

Tennesseahawk

Veteran Expediter
Trust me, Bugsy... it's nothing that gets in the way. Can't tell the difference between the Argosy and Century cab areas except the shift in an Argosy is a joystick on the dash.

-Vampire Super Slooth Trucker!!!

Bugsy Siegel

Seasoned Expediter
>Trust me, Bugsy... it's nothing that gets in the way. Can't
>tell the difference between the Argosy and Century cab areas
>except the shift in an Argosy is a joystick on the dash.
>
>-Vampire Super Slooth Trucker!!!

That's what I was looking to find, thanks for the info!