Buying a sprinter van, 2500 vs 3500?

dc843

Expert Expediter
Researching
Still running my options was wondering what everyones thoughts would be in buying a 3500 van vs a 2500 van. Definately going to get a model that fits 3 skids and is high roof.

Obviously the difference is that i can carry more weight, but it seems like most of the loads (probably 85%) i was getting working for owner in 3500 would have worked in a 2500. Also the 3500s are a lot more scarce and therefore more expensive, buying used anyway, thats all i can afford right now.

Side note, what is a comfortable range of milage you would accept in a used van provided a mechanic gives it the thumbs up and they have good maintnance records?

xiggi

Veteran Expediter
Owner/Operator
You do not want a 3500 sprinter unless you wait for a 2018. You would have to build up the floor and your over 1001 lbs.

Sent from my SM-G925T using EO Forums mobile app

dc843

Expert Expediter
Researching
You do not want a 3500 sprinter unless you wait for a 2018. You would have to build up the floor and your over 1001 lbs.

i was thinking a promaster i just meant sprinter vaugely

the 3500 promaster at least the year model i was in can carry almost 4200 without being over 10k

Last edited:
Reactions: westmicher

xmudman

Veteran Expediter
Owner/Operator
The problem will be if you end up with a dual rear wheel vehicle. There's not enough room between the wheel wells for a US-standard pallet. European-designed vans like the Sprinter are made with Europallets in mind (800x1200 mm, or for us Yanks, 31.5"x47.25").

xiggi

Veteran Expediter
Owner/Operator
i was thinking a promaster i just meant sprinter vaugely

the 3500 promaster at least the year model i was in can carry almost 4200 without being over 10k
Well yes and no, once you get it outfitted, personal items and fuel you need to scale it and figure that in your capacity. But on a transit or Promaster I would think a 3500 is the way to go.

Moot

Veteran Expediter
Owner/Operator
Side note, what is a comfortable range of milage you would accept in a used van provided a mechanic gives it the thumbs up and they have good maintnance records?
I know a guy that bought a 2004 Chevy gasser with 820,000 miles on it. He didn't get a mechanics thumbs up but the screwball that sold it to him had decent maintenance records.

dc843

Expert Expediter
Researching
The problem will be if you end up with a dual rear wheel vehicle. There's not enough room between the wheel wells for a US-standard pallet. European-designed vans like the Sprinter are made with Europallets in mind (800x1200 mm, or for us Yanks, 31.5"x47.25").
Promaster has single wheels in the back

T270_Dreamin

Veteran Expediter
Owner/Operator
How bout new improved fuel economy or rear air ride suspension, they are going to have to step up their game if they want to compete.

xiggi

Veteran Expediter
Owner/Operator
The 3500 change was the only thing they knew about. The fuel economy was improved by bring out the 4cyl. I average 20 on my 6 no problem with that. Personally I see no need for air ride on a sprinter. It's would improve it a bit but it's pretty good as is. It's probably still the best ride of the 3 on the market now.

Not sure how they aren't competing it still offers the best ride, most spacious cab and largest cargo area of the vans on the market. Sales have increased year to year this year included. A gas offering would be nice.

jcochristoph

Expert Expediter
Owner/Operator
US Army
Have you driven a promaster, especially sharp turns and under heavy load? Turning radius on promaster tightest by far and handles far better than sprinter. Seats much more comfortable. Will be interesting to see if they rust as quickly as sprinters do.

xiggi

Veteran Expediter
Owner/Operator
Yes I have driven one, far less cab space, less cargo space and rougher ride even according to friends who own them and have had sprinters. It should have a tighter turn radius it's a shorter wb. If your tall your looking at the top of the windshield setting in the drivers seat. It's actually a pretty cramped cab.

I'm not saying Promasters and transits aren't decent vehicles. My post is in response to the statement about sprinters competing. If I were buying today it would be between a transit and a sprinter for me the Promaster would come in third. It's a very personal choice what one buys.

T270_Dreamin

Veteran Expediter
Owner/Operator
If you don't have the factory offered 700 suspensions seats upgrade I'd say its a waist. The comfort is horrible on my 06. I'm really hoping they can step up in 2018. I want to be able to go 75 mph and get 30 mpg. I want to fatigue less. 650 miles in a day just about kills me and I'm in my 30's. Anyone in a 2016 volvo semi, how many miles can you drive in a day. Those trucks are 150k, I'd imagine they should ride nice?

Air ride is coming, anything they can do to out do ford or dodge they will do, they realize they are losing market share.

Just get the extended warranty and say your prayers that the $6000 (total cost to repair) dpf/emissions issues are obsolete
:)

dc843

Expert Expediter
Researching
Yes I have driven one, far less cab space, less cargo space and rougher ride even according to friends who own them and have had sprinters. It should have a tighter turn radius it's a shorter wb. If your tall your looking at the top of the windshield setting in the drivers seat. It's actually a pretty cramped cab.

I'm not saying Promasters and transits aren't decent vehicles. My post is in response to the statement about sprinters competing. If I were buying today it would be between a transit and a sprinter for me the Promaster would come in third. It's a very personal choice what one buys.

Yeah i agree it is pretty cramped i kinda thought it was across the board that way being thats all i have ever been in

If you don't have the factory offered 700 suspensions seats upgrade I'd say its a waist. The comfort is horrible on my 06. I'm really hoping they can step up in 2018. I want to be able to go 75 mph and get 30 mpg. I want to fatigue less. 650 miles in a day just about kills me and I'm in my 30's. Anyone in a 2016 volvo semi, how many miles can you drive in a day. Those trucks are 150k, I'd imagine they should ride nice?

Air ride is coming, anything they can do to out do ford or dodge they will do, they realize they are losing market share.

Just get the extended warranty and say your prayers that the $6000 (total cost to repair) dpf/emissions issues are obsolete
:)

which are you refering to?

xiggi

Veteran Expediter
Owner/Operator
The previous 07 Sprinters ride much worse than those that came after. Not much comparison, they were rougher, noisier and less comfortable. I installed an air ride seat in my 012 after a couple years basically because it was a good deal not needed that bad.

The emissions issue is real and is why I wished they had a gas option. I took care of it for under 2 grand.

Reactions: scottm4211