Bunk heater NOT heating

heel4you

Expert Expediter
We have a bunk heater/AC under our lower bunk. The only thing that I know about it is....it's installed in a 72inch Alumibunk sleeper (2000 Freightliner FL80). It has the usual sleeper controls on the wall with low and high fan, AC or heat and a dial thermostat.
The heater and AC are connected to the main AC/heat in cab.
The AC seems to work but, all of the sudden the heat is not working. The fan is blowing, but cold air is coming out.
Anyone know if there could be a fuse or thermostat etc that I can look for?
I don't have any manuals on what is installed.
Any help would be greatly appreciated. WE ARE FREEZING!!!
Thanks,
Laura

davekc

Senior Moderator
Staff member
Fleet Owner
Open the hood and follow your heater hoses that go back to the bunk. Along the way, you will encounter two valves or levers. Open them up so hot coolant circulates to your bunk. If those are open, take the four screws off the cover on the heater hose connection inbetween the cab and sleeper. Take a short screwdriver and turn to open.
My quess is it is the first.
Levers or valves are usually under the hood or under the passenger side door along or close to the frame rail. As you follow these hoses if the truck is hot, that hose will be hot on one side and cool on the other. Both valves must be open. Not just one.
Once that is done, turn your heat on and run it. Remember, they must be closed again if running the A/C

Davekc
owner
22 years
PantherII
EO moderator

heel4you

Expert Expediter
Hi Dave,
So they may have gotten "stuck" in the closed position?
I'll see what I can find out. First I have to find out what the heater hoses look like. I am not at all mechanical, but I will figure it out.
Thank you,
Laura

davekc

Senior Moderator
Staff member
Fleet Owner
The ones on the hoses are done manually. They aren't stuck. Just have to be opened. If it is the cab/sleeper connection valve, that is either a bad valve or bad switch connection. Can be opened manually. See above.
Your likely place;
They will be smaller (one inch wide) hoses on the passenger side in the engine compartment. If having difficulty, ask a driver to show them to you. They will likely know where the levers or valves are, or can help you locate them. Might need a flashlight if under your cab along the frame rail.

Davekc
owner
22 years
PantherII
EO moderator

heel4you

Expert Expediter
I will take a look at it in the morning....thanks Dave.
I just don't understand why one day it works then the next day it does not???
Laura

davekc

Senior Moderator
Staff member
Fleet Owner
You originally left that part out if it heats at times, and then it doesn't. That would be the heater switch or the electric heat/ac valve between the cab and sleeper. If fuse is ok, it is the electrical connection to it or the valve behind the four screws mentioned. May have to replace electric valve if defective.

Davekc
owner
22 years
PantherII
EO moderator

heel4you

Expert Expediter
OOPS....sorry Dave. Thought I had covered all my bases.
Do you know approx. where the fuses for the unit would be??
Laura

davekc

Senior Moderator
Staff member
Fleet Owner
It will be an inline fuse. Roughly a foot from where the plug is into the electric valve. I would check the electrical connection into the valve for corrision as well.

Davekc
owner
22 years
PantherII
EO moderator

heel4you

Expert Expediter
Hey,
I found out what type of AC/heat unit is:
ACC Climate Control model# 22016A007A.
I have checked all of the fuses except the one you are talking about in your last post. Is the on the unit itself? I know you said between the sleeper and cab but where? Like I said I am mechanically inept.....but I'm trying!!
Thanks,
Laura

davekc

Senior Moderator
Staff member
Fleet Owner
On the left side, follow your heater hoses. There will be two that go into a valve with a wire(plug) coming out of it. It will be roughly between the cab and sleeper outside. A foot up that wire will be the fuse. Check that fuse as well as the connection. The valve can be opened manually by taking off the cover. If fuse and connection are ok, then it is a defective valve that will have to be purchased from AB.

Davekc
owner
22 years
PantherII
EO moderator

heel4you

Expert Expediter
Oh Well, I am not having any luck finding a fuse. I looked all over from underside the bunk area to the front of the truck, all along following the wires. The only thing that I saw was that they are attached to a EATON part (It's about 2 to 2 inches square under the hood). I was afraid to mess with it, so I did not. Guess we will continue to run the front heat full blast until I can get it somewhere for someone to look at it. I just hate that I have to pay someone to fix this for me. I really wanted to figure it out for myself.
Thanks Dave for all of your help.

davekc

Senior Moderator
Staff member
Fleet Owner
If it is just the fuse, it is a pretty easy fix. If the valve needs replaced, I am quessing roughly $100 to R and R it. That would be your worst case scenerio.
Good luck

Davekc
owner
22 years
PantherII
EO moderator

rollnthunder

Expert Expediter
Since everyone else is trying to help i will throw in my 2 cents.I just wanted to let you know that if your problem turns out to be the 2 electric solenoids under the truck on the bottom of the bunk then you are sol.They are no longer made and when they where making them they costed about $700 according to alumijunk.I went threw this a few months ago.I ended up putting a y fitting in there and a 1/4 turn ball valve.