Buddy Heater

bigdogg

Expert Expediter
Owner/Operator
The night before last, it got down to 33 in Jersey, so out came my buddy heater. I have it hooked to a 20 lb tank, because the first time I used it with the small tank, it emptied in less than 2 hours on low. I have only been out for eight weeks now, so my van is not insulated yet, but I have an air mattress, then a sleeping bag over that and then a sleeping bag over me. Everything was great until the heater cut out around 5 am, then it got cold. I had my windows cracked about 1 1/2 inches, plus I can feel wind through my tail light sections, so there was plenty of ventilation. I tried to start it in the morning, but if it did start, it would just shut itself off again quickly. I am taking this one back Monday morning and I am going to get the larger one. Any advice would be helpful. I am in a hotel for the weekend, so all is well. I know the Espar is the answer, but just starting out, so I have to do it this way for now. I have the PM 159 and think the larger heater would work better, please let me know what you think.

vandriver2

Veteran Expediter
Owner/Operator
Am sorry to hear you're having issues with your heater. It sounds as if you're just going to have to get by then with a portable heat source until you have saved enough for the Espar Heater installation. Don't know why it cut out on you. Go to Mrbuddy.com and read "Trouble Shooting Big Buddy" you may find some suggestions helpful there. Click this link I provided:
http://www.mrheater.com/downloads/dl/file/id/35/mr_heater_big_buddy_faq_guide_201305_pdf.pdf
ESPAR is TRULY THE WAY TO GO if you're certain expediting long term is for you. It'll pay for itself/whilst Hotels are hurting your wallet...on occasion it's necessary (van's in the shop for 9 days due to Deer Meat) or just a needed break.
Setting up your van prior to driving with insulation, heat, cooling, Auxillary battery and an inverter is your best bet....is what I try to explain to people first inquiring here about expediting and living OTR in a Van. Plus an emergency fund built up is wise. Hope your wife can join you soon!

Last edited: