Boehner resigns as Speaker

aristotle

Veteran Expediter
More than anyone else, President Obama will miss Boehner. Boehner has delivered for the White House over and over and over. Imagine if we had a real opposition party which properly acted as a check against a renegade president. We haven't seen so much public crying from one individual with Boenher since Baby Tender Love was all the rage. Unprofessional, unseemly and unnerving.

RLENT

Veteran Expediter
Problem is, the R's don't have the votes in the Senate to stop The Big O from putting the kibosh on their insanity via a veto. So the problem really ain't in the House.

And with the R's having to retain more seats in the next Senate cycle (2016) than the Dems, that probably ain't gonna change.

jjtdrv4u

Expert Expediter
the pope just delivered a miracle in getting boehner to step down, they will make him into a saint for making this miracle to happen...

Reactions: Ragman

Ragman

Veteran Expediter
Retired Expediter
An interesting read.... IMO....
republican_elephant-665.gif

John Boehner vs. the 'crazies': Should GOP just let tea party win?

Reactions: Unclebob

iceroadtrucker

Veteran Expediter
Driver
Boehner and Mitch are working on some legislation at the last min before he departs that may well effect the Expedite community and will effect the regular freight company employees for sure. Detention time no more 1hour 2 hour 3 hour 4 5 6 7 8 hour give away. Done with Legislation Passes hour for hour to be paid starting when you arrive to unload. IF you got a 8 am delivery and you arrive at 8 you get detention from 8 till your loaded or unloaded. A lot of Companies will go to drop and hook because of this but for those that do not Money, money, money. That's a good thing for the Drivers out here. Not so good for the Companies. But then again companies have been given so much and the Workers Bees Drivers have been taking it in the shorts so long its about time some one had the guts to say its time to take a round turn on this. Good for you Boehner and Mitch no get the crap passed so we all can make the Money !! Good Deal. Maybe his Resigning not such a bad thing after all. At least for us the Truck Drivers its about time. We shall see!! It goes through guess the bean counters are going to have to come up with something else. I am sure they will

cheri1122

Veteran Expediter
Driver
More than anyone else, President Obama will miss Boehner. Boehner has delivered for the White House over and over and over. Imagine if we had a real opposition party which properly acted as a check against a renegade president. We haven't seen so much public crying from one individual with Boenher since Baby Tender Love was all the rage. Unprofessional, unseemly and unnerving.

But we have a "real opposition party": the Tea Party. The problem is, they oppose their own party, as well as the Democrats. Boehner couldn't fight with them and the Dems/Obama, I don't blame him for walking away.
The comments about Boehner's emotional displays are unseemly and unnerving, IMO. "Real men" don't show emotion, is that it?

Turtle

Administrator
Staff member
Retired Expediter
The comments about Boehner's emotional displays are unseemly and unnerving, IMO. "Real men" don't show emotion, is that it?
There's nothing wrong with crying once in a while, but the man cries at everything. Everything. The Pope visited, he cried, so many times that even the Pope lost count. He gave a commencement address at Ohio State, and cried all the way through it. He cried when talking about giving kids opportunities, to play golf, in an interview on the Golf Channel. Nancy Pelosi handed him the House gavel, and he cried like Miss America getting her crown. He cried at an event honoring the late painter Constantino Brumidi. He cried at a Capitol Hill ceremony honoring Arnold Palmer. He cried like a baby at the unveiling of a Rosa Parks statue. Likewise at the unveiling of the statue of Johnny Bench. He cried at a ceremony honoring Winston Churchill. He cried while listening to Irish music at a St Patrick's Day lunch. He cried when he handed Neil Armstrong a Congressional Gold Medal. He cries on election night, all of them, whether he's running or not - the way other people cry at weddings.

There's getting a little choked up. There's shedding a few tears. There's full-on crying. And then, there's John Boehner, America's crier-in-chief.

On Election Night in 2010, when Republicans reclaimed the House and Boehner knew he would replace Nancy Pelosi as speaker, at a moment when he should have been emotionally high as a kite, there was Boehner crying. And he wasn't crying tears of joy. He was definitely in touch with his feelings, though, but only his own. He managed to state, between sobs, “I’ve spent my whole life … [ sniff] … chasing … [ sniff, sniff] … the American dream … I put myself through school, working…”— [chokes up]— “every rotten job there was, and every night shift I could find. And I poured my heart and soul into running a small business [more tears].” Then, finally, he was able to blubber perhaps the most ridiculously incongruous statement he could have made at that moment: “I am ready to lead.”

Journalist and writer Nora Ephron (college intern in the JFK White House, ex-wife of Watergate's Carl Bernstein and writer of Silkwood, When Harry Met Sally, You've Got Mail, Sleepless in Seattle, among many others) once wrote, "Beware of men who cry. It’s true that men who cry are sensitive to and in touch with feelings, but the only feelings they tend to be sensitive to and in touch with are their own."

That's John Beohner. Did he cry for those who couldn't put food on the table when he delayed a vote for 5 months, until after his holiday break, that would have extended unemployment benefits? No. Has he ever cried over his dealings with Obama? No. He whined, but never cried, over Obama not compromising, not being willing to work across the aisle, and then goes on 60 Minutes and talks about rejecting the entire notion of compromise. "I reject the word. I made it clear, I am not gonna compromise on my principles, nor am I gonna compromise the will of the American people." You'd have though he would have cried over Obama not being willing to compromise his principles, either, never mind the "will of the American people" gave the Democrats control of the Senate and the White House, but no. Boehner will still cry at the drop of a hat, just as long as you don't disagree with him, or just as long as your unemployment insurance hasn't run out. Then, you're on your own. Man up.

And because he doesn't cry over Obama or others (mainly Democrats) who disagree with him, the Republicans give him a pass. Can you imagine if Obama cried even half the number of times Beohner has? Can you imagine the collective brick Republicans would have dropped if Obama had barely been able to get out his acceptance speech on Election Night, ending with a "[ sniff, sniff] I'm ready to lead"? Whoowee, lemme tell ya.

Real men cry, at Ol' Yeller, not at Toy Story 3.

Reactions: RLENT and RoadTime

cheri1122

Veteran Expediter
Driver
Now I'm really sorry I mentioned it - but even sorrier that I missed the election 2010 thing, cause that is just my kind of humor, lol.
Really, I had no idea that Boehner cries all that much, but it is a normal human reaction to strong emotion. Teaching boys to suppress it to be 'strong' is not a healthy thing to do, IMO. Nora Ephron was a pretty smart woman, maybe that's what she meant: men who overcome the cultural conditioning have an ulterior motive.
PS Toy Story 3 is when Andy goes to college - that was pretty sad, dude. ;)

Reactions: RoadTime