Blackball?

tknight

Veteran Expediter
Is there such a thing as a black balling system in this biz I'm beginning to think there is something a fowl going on . It's not me my safety record and On time pu and delivery is spotless so I'm not sure at all what's going on here!

Reactions: neilblack

Slo-Ride

Veteran Expediter
Is there such a thing as a black balling system in this biz I'm beginning to think there is something a fowl going on . It's not me my safety record and On time pu and delivery is spotless so I'm not sure at all what's going on here!
No

No, Just post-it notes..Issued to every dispatcher the day they hire on. Ask for money,,,Get a post-it note.

geo

Veteran Expediter
Charter Member
Retired Expediter
US Navy
Depends on company I left fedexcc after a question was asked and he did like the answer I gave
Heard that I should find a new place call home

Reactions: ExFedEx

tknight

Veteran Expediter
It's pretty discouraging though but I'm always thinking of new things to try . I just don't do bored very well never did. If it wasn't freezing Id wash and wax the truck!

blizzard2014

Veteran Expediter
Driver
You need to go to work for a different carrier, or since you have your own insurance, you need to get some of your own customers. The way you are set up working for expedite and your own touring jobs, you can't commit to expedite fully, so your carrier/carriers aren't trying very hard for you, or they are just bottom feeder carriers. You need to get some of your own contacts so that you can keep yourself busier. That is just my opinion.

Slo-Ride

Veteran Expediter
You need to go to work for a different carrier, or since you have your own insurance, you need to get some of your own customers. The way you are set up working for expedite and your own touring jobs, you can't commit to expedite fully, so your carrier/carriers aren't trying very hard for you, or they are just bottom feeder carriers. You need to get some of your own contacts so that you can keep yourself busier. That is just my opinion.

You have some pretty good options/ideas. But what I would question is with him or any other owner/op is what difference does it make to the carrier if he was available 24-7 or just on Thursday afternoons. If a available truck isn't loaded its the dispatchers that have failed the carrier. Once a truck is available you would think it would be to that carriers advantage to load that truck and load it at the best rate possible. By giving the best rate possible it gives the truck more options to take the not so good loads and works to the carriers advantage. When rates (to the truck) are in the sheeter like they are now and coming in below what ya normally would run for I can understand why a truck is not available. I don't buy into the notion that freight rates have dropped so much I need to cut mine to get the load. The freight is there,and yes maybe its a slow day or slow few days. I'll buy into the notion that some carriers are securing the freight but using no names more then they let on.
I see it happening, driver from let's say butterball express, comes up to me and ask,,where I go? Dumbfounded I ask what?... Driver responds, Where I go, I pick up for you, see here me email says you, you that there your truck. Here look here on me email...your truck, Where I pick up at.
@ that point is where I respond..
No No.. You in Wixom Ford plant...You need to pick up in Sharronville Ford plant..you go now Yes you be late hurry.

tknight

Veteran Expediter
They say there just NOT getting bids accepted I bid all I can , just having a very hard time getting a response from the actual brokers .
That and when you don't hear anything for a while and you really want it you can't re bid it a little lower
Whatever happened to the art of negotiating?

Last edited:

Mailer

Veteran Expediter
Owner/Operator
Man, that's a tough question. Hopefully it's just a slow month.

For myself, I tend to look at thing a little deeper. If that word ever popped in my head. I'm going take it as my subconscious is trying help me work out something.

Or, I could be having a crazy thought from sitting too long. Lol..

I wish you a great coming weeks!

rollincoal

Expert Expediter
Owner/Operator
When there's 10 trucks for every load brokers don't have to answer the phone and they certainly aren't going to accept higher bids. I remember well the times in years past when my phone would blow up non-stop from 06:30 to 17:00 then a few expedite people looking for trucks after hours. I never answered the phone before noon and only answered certain ones after then. After 17:00 I answered every one because those were always the real money. The shoe is on the other foot for the time being. Has been for a while and probably will be for a while longer. Until the economy has some sort of real strength and recovery going on that's just how it is.

Reactions: willgreg21

crich

Expert Expediter
Fleet Manager
US Navy
there may very well be 10 trucks for every load but there will always be loads that none of them 10 trucks will be able to cover for a multitude of reasons.

geo

Veteran Expediter
Charter Member
Retired Expediter
US Navy
when I was at Roberts express and fedexcc they wanted 4 truck for every load

coleman6566

Seasoned Expediter
Researching
US Navy
I've been turned down myself so I understand

fastman_1

Veteran Expediter
Owner/Operator
Pretty sure once dispatch gets a load for my truck, they just set it and forget it, or if I turn down a load offer I get the dreaded post it note, no load for you! Maybe tomorrow.

Sent from the deep end.

Reactions: ntimevan

Worn Out Manager

Veteran Expediter
Owner/Operator
US Air Force
When I first went to work for Bolt they said upfront that I was welcome to turn a load offer down any time BUT they would then put me back on the bottom of the list. They were open and honest about it then.

Sent from my hand-held Etch-A- Sketch