It's a Team's Life Billboards a Distraction or Necessity?

chillout

Administrator
Staff member
On Time Media Staff
Outdoor advertising; Good or Bad? Distraction? Informative?

It was recently brought to our attention how much we depend on billboards to plan our stops for fuel, to eat, find a hotel, or to find a local attraction. While abroad we rented a car and before long realized we were going to need fuel and that is when we realized we had not seen any billboards or outdoor advertising.

Not seeing outdoor billboards allowed us to enjoy the countryside without all of the distractions and at the same time left us without a plan.

READ MORE...

Reactions: Turtle

xiggi

Veteran Expediter
Owner/Operator
I personally enjoy billboards and have never felt they take anything away from my drive down a road. I have never really bought the distraction claim.

TeamCaffee

Administrator
Staff member
Owner/Operator
I also like billboards to read there are some I could do without and John that is not yours... Wont go into details here of some that I wish I did not have to read or see. It was odd though when overseas how frustrating it was to find food, fuel, or even a place to pull over and rest due to no signs or exit signs. It was also great to see the countryside without a line of billboards such as those along I-70 in Missouri.

TeamPaul

Expert Expediter
Researching
Billboards are great at passing the time while driving... Sometimes some interesting or amusing info is posted on some of these signs. I am in agreement with many, that road signs are far more beneficial than they are a distraction.

TeamCaffee

Administrator
Staff member
Owner/Operator
One billboard that was near Las Vegas almost had me pulling over as I was laughing so hard. It was a advertisement for the Blue Men Group and their eyes are very expressive. On the sign where the three Blue Men and on top of two of their heads were fake pigeons and in the third Blue Man's mouth was feathers and he is looking at the other to like WHAT? It was great.

RoadTime

Veteran Expediter
Owner/Operator
The only signs I really have a problem with are those being waved around by the street. I think they are a major distraction and should not be allowed.

spinning-signs.png

Ragman

Veteran Expediter
Retired Expediter
One billboard that was near Las Vegas almost had me pulling over as I was laughing so hard. It was a advertisement for the Blue Men Group and their eyes are very expressive. On the sign where the three Blue Men and on top of two of their heads were fake pigeons and in the third Blue Man's mouth was feathers and he is looking at the other to like WHAT? It was great.
CRAC_05177_34449843A.JPG

Reactions: TeamCaffee and Moot

Moot

Veteran Expediter
Owner/Operator
I saw a billboard today on I-75 for this: Play Atlantis - Abandon Haunted House

Who in their right mind would pay $20 to visit an abandon haunted house? Detroit must have hundreds of abandoned houses, many haunted that can be visited for free. As a bonus, on Devil's Night you can set a house afire. How cool is that!

Later heading south on I-75 there was a scary message on an overhead message board: WRONG WAY DRIVER IN AREA. USE EXTREME CAUTION.

Moot

Veteran Expediter
Owner/Operator
Driving through Missouri it seams like about half the billboards are advertising: This sign for rent.

Moot

Veteran Expediter
Owner/Operator
In the 1960s and 70s billboards were considered visual pollution, a blight on the land and were often burned or toppled by radical "environmentalists". Towers supporting high voltage transmission lines were also considered evil. Today the landscape is covered with wind generators and solar collectors and everyone is happy except migratory waterfowl. Foie gras anyone? Even the high voltage lines and towers aren't nearly as evil now that these connect us to the wind and solar farms.