Bidding on Loads

big guy

Expert Expediter
Starting out in a few months as an owner operator. Curious about recent postings on bidding for loads. Do you have to bid on all your loads?

Also, which companies seem to be the most reliable to work for?

Tennesseahawk

Veteran Expediter
You don't bid on loads if you drive for an expediting company. You may, to find an LTL load for backhaul purposes. But only a couple of companies allow you to do that. Panther, being in the forefront, as they only charge 15% and give you little grief.

What I do, is run under someone else's authority, bid on my own loads, and give him a percentage. I've been extremely lucky thus far, as he is a stand-up guy. He lets me do what I want to do, bid what I want to bid, and as I found out today, stands up for me when dealing with a dispatcher who thinks I'm a driver.

Doing what I'm doing is a whole different ballpark from expediting for a company. I have to look for my own freight, and have someone else (my family) look while I'm sleeping. This is the ultimate "you snooze, you lose" business, as a load can be posted and gone within a couple minutes. As I'm a newbie in this part of the business, all I can say is it's not for everyone. For the vast majority, having a company dispatch the trucks is alot less of a headache. I've found out that I sit more, regret more, worry more, and feel more fulfilled (if you can believe that one). But it's rewarding in that I have no obstacles, other than the availability of the loads themselves. I can't blame dispatch for giving their buddy the load I should've had... I can only blame myself for not bidding lower than Joe Shmoe. But some ppl like that a company is watching out for their truck. That part I do miss (but not the qualcomm).

You asked for most reliable companies. Well, that depends on what. I believe Panther is the best for teams, though communication is somewhat lacking. Express-1 is good for singles, if you're from the midwest. They also treated me better than any company I've been with. I've been told ConwayNow is good for teams. And with them raising their rates, they may be a company to look at closer. Others will give you their experienced opinions as well. But a company will never fit everyone perfectly... it all depends on your needs.

Good luck on what you decide, and keep us posted.

Tennesseahawk

Veteran Expediter
Sure... you could try to milk a turnip, too... doesn't mean you'll get anything out of them. ;)

I don't bid on junk loads. I bid expedite freight, air freight, and the occasional LTL if appropriate. I make more per mile, but like I said, I sit... and sit... and sit. This works out for me though, as my truck is 20 years old, and not many companies would take me on and still let me do what I want as far as bidding for freight. I originally wanted to look for locals around Detroit, but there aren't enough of them to earn an income. When Davekc mentions he bids on freight for backhauls, I assume that this is what he's talking about.

And that's all I've got ta say bout that :D