Best spec ? Freightliner M2 or Cascadia

James Caffrey

New Recruit
Driver
Hello All, I'm new here, I'm not exactly an expeditor but I do pretty much the same work. I haul medical equipment for Demo in all 48 States. I use a 2012 M2 Freightliner day cab with a Cummins ISB and Allison auto trans with a gvw of 33,000lbs. Loaded I gross 29500 lbs. Maybe this has been covered before. But we are looking at replacing it . My question is, Dollar for Dollar what do You guy's think would be best ? I am considering another M2 with the small extended sleeper which would be much the same as I have, getting around 8.5 mpg or the Cascadia Midroof 48" sleeper with DD 13 and Ultrashift. What MPG should I expect from the Cascadia ? I realize the Cascadia would have a much longer life, More power and comfort,but would have a far heftier price tag. I appreciate any thoughts and information. Best Regards, James

TeamHutch

Expert Expediter
Owner/Operator
Take a look at the m2 112 you can get that with the dd13 and ultra shift. We drive that and average 11mpg. One thing to consider is the cascadia is heavy and may limit your weight. Sounds like the m2 you are in now is the 106 model. The 112 model is a little bigger making room for the dd13

Reactions: TeamPaul and davekc

TeamHutch

Expert Expediter
Owner/Operator
You may get 12 with a cascadia but that depends on how you drive it. The 112 model would be a little cheaper upfront. But you could make that back in the long run with the cascadia getting a little better mileage.

davekc

Senior Moderator
Staff member
Fleet Owner
Using your provided example, the Cascadia would get the nod. If they have the same drive train, not a lot of difference other than weight. M2 is lighter so a little better on payload and most Cascadias need a tag to haul over 5k with a 96inch sleeper. Then cost verses return really comes in to play.

TeamCaffee

Administrator
Staff member
Owner/Operator
I am a huge fan of the Cascadia but for what you are doing I think the M2 fits the bill. The DD13 is over kill in your situation of how much weight you haul. Your fuel milage is not that good but it might be more of how you drive and that fuel prices are cheap. We had an M2 with the Allison and a Cat engine and were able to stay in the upper 9's and tens.

So my thoughts are with as light as you are and the type of operation you have I would stay with the M2.

Reactions: davekc

James Caffrey

New Recruit
Driver
Thank You All so much :). That is exactly the info I'm looking for. It sounds like the M2 112 would be the best option for us. You are probably right about my mpg and my driving habits. I usually stay right around 70 on the open road, I have been driving tractor trailers for 37 years so it might be thought to change that. Other than running at 70 I am very easy on braking and accelerating. I do believe with the extra power from the DD13 and maybe better ratio in the drive axel I could still achieve the best mpg. Thank's for Your input. I will keep You posted on our progress. It will be a slow enough procedure as I work for a large company and everything has to go through a slow budget an approval process. Have a Great Day.

Reactions: TeamHutch