Phones Best mobile broadband for expediters

akguy907

Rookie Expediter
As stated in the title I am looking for a provider that offers mobile broadband best suited to a lifestyle on the road. We have service through ATT with a 10gb share plan for our phones and laptop but we constantly go over the limit. We are internet junkies lol. Anybody know of any plans that could be unlimited or have a high data limit? ATT's overage charges are a joke. Thank you.

Sent from my RM-820_nam_att_100 using Tapatalk

akguy907

Rookie Expediter
So far the only thing I found that comes close is Sprint having unlimited data but that only applies for your phone. If you wanna share your phone data with say your laptop they put you on a tiered data plan. Much like ATT.

"If the rule you followed brought you to this, then of what use was the rule?"

runrunner

Veteran Expediter
I have the same plan and problem! I've thought about trying a pay as you go but I hope you get good info

Maybe the word WalMart scares people, but they have Straight Talk,45.00 for 30 days,unlimited talk,text and data,you can even bring your own phone. Even iphone. They use Verizon,and AT&T towers ,depending on the phone you have. Great coverage. The only place I had trouble was running some parts of KY. Try one month,no contract,what have you got to lose?

How does straight talk know if you're tethering your data?

Read post #11

Last edited:

KickStarter6

Veteran Expediter
I live in Kentucky and had straight talk for about 2 years before going to AT&T back in August. Straight talks data is unlimited BUT once you use a certain amount they slow you down. So even if you phone says 4g or LTE you running at half that

xiggi

Veteran Expediter
Owner/Operator
The important thing to remember is don't cheap out. Losing one load because your phone doesn't ring can lose you more than you save. Sprint is horrible I've never dropped as many calls as I did with them. Straight talk I would not recommend there is a big stretch of i75 it doesn't work in Kentucky. In my book you have two options att or Verizon.

sent from my Fisher Price - ABC123

KickStarter6

Veteran Expediter
I've noticed that just about everything in the expediting world that involves Kentucky is in a negative light lol. I just wish I could afford enough data to stream Netflix all day when I'm waiting

ScottInBama

Expert Expediter
Driver
Maybe the word WalMart scares people, but they have Straight Talk,45.00 for 30 days,unlimited talk,text and data,you can even bring your own phone. Even iphone. They use Verizon,and AT&T towers ,depending on the phone you have. Great coverage. The only place I had trouble was running some parts of KY. Try one month,no contract,what have you got to lose?

How does straight talk know if you're tethering your data?

Read post #11

I use Walmart Straight Talk on one of my phones and it really does well. Works great in Kentucky except for like a 50 mile radius of Bowling Green. Guy in phone sales told me that if I had purchased the ST phone in Kentucky that it would work in Kentucky. I guess!

Sent from my LGL45C using EO Forums mobile app

Turtle

Administrator
Staff member
Retired Expediter
As stated in the title I am looking for a provider that offers mobile broadband best suited to a lifestyle on the road. We have service through ATT with a 10gb share plan for our phones and laptop but we constantly go over the limit. We are internet junkies lol. Anybody know of any plans that could be unlimited or have a high data limit? ATT's overage charges are a joke. Thank you.
You really only have a couple of viable options. One is to simply bump up to a higher tiered plan with AT&T (or Verizon), and the other is to make the best use of available free WiFi. There are no national carriers with unlimited data plans anymore, at least not ones that don't clamp down hard on your data speeds once you hit 2-2.5 GB in a month. For heavy data usage, Straight Talk is more expensive than AT&T or Verizon, by a large margin, and it's not even close to being as reliable.

I am still grandfathered in on Verizon's unlimited data plan, and it's really and truly unlimited. If I'm on a 3G signal and I'm past the 2GB mark it gets clamped down pretty hard, though, like a bad dialup during an electrical storm, but the 4G LTE stays at high speed. This past month, from Dec 3 to Jan 4, I used 36.99 GB of data, most of it tethering my phone to the laptop.

You currently have an Unlimited Data package on one or more lines on your account. The Unlimited Data package is no longer available. To continue, please select a new Data Option for all of the lines on your plan. You will not be able to go back to your current Unlimited Data package.
Shyeah, right, like I'm gonna change my plan. My contract ended two years ago, but my plan remains. If I were to switch my current plan ($100 a month for unlimited talk, text and data) to one of the currently available tiered plans at the same price, I'd get a whole 2 GB of data. Switching to a 40 GB plan would cost me $340 (AT&T has the same pricing structure, more or less). Whatever tiered plan you choose, it's $15 per GB when you go over, so if I had a 2 GB plan I've have had to pay an extra $525 last month. Of course, when it comes time to get a new phone I'll have to pay full retail price for it, because if I get it with any discount I lose my plan. But paying $600 on-time for a new phone is highly preferable to paying an extra $300 a month for the data that I'm using.

Yesteryear

Expert Expediter
Well, depending on how much you want to spend . . . I don't have it yet but am thinking about it . . . My sister, and a friend told me about this at two separate times. If you have a smartphone you are not using go to Walmart and get the Net10 "Bring Your Own Phone" set-up kit. It comes with a first month card for unlimited talk, text, and data. Then all you do is insert the little SD card in your smartphone and activate the unlimited card. Then on your smartphone turn on you mobile hotspot. You can hook your laptop up via WiFi. The first 2.5 GB are high speed and after that it is just regular internet. My sis said she uses it on her laptop to watch Netflix.

Do not try it with the Net10 pre-paid smartphone as it has no mobile hotspot capabilities so will not work. Has to be a real smartphone. Cost 50.00 month for unlimited talk, text, data.

I have Verizon with 4 smart phones, tablet, and jetpack with unlimited talk and text plus 16 GB data, my average bill is 420.00 month. Overage is 15.00 gb. Just up-graded phones before I found out about this so am locked in for next 2 years. But thinking about lowering data to 2 GB and going with Net10 for the unlimited data.

Sent from my QMV7A using EO Forums mobile app

blackpup

Veteran Expediter
Any one have the mobile satellite setup , that I think saw occasionally at TA,s or Flying J , Wondering if they had the capability for an internet connection ?

jimmy

Turtle

Administrator
Staff member
Retired Expediter
Dish, DirectTV, Hughes, they all have satellite internet, but it's expensive, more expensive than cell carriers, and they throttle you like crazy after your cap, which is generally 2.5 gigs.