Best companies for cargo vans

BryanTNVOLS

Seasoned Expediter
I have a 08 Chevy express 2500, I have talked to several recruters from Bolt Express, Panther, Tri-State and some other small companies. Would it be better for me to sign on with a company as big as panther or go for the smaller company?
Thanks in advance for any information anyone can share.

terryandrene

Veteran Expediter
Safety & Compliance
US Coast Guard
Bryan:

Here's just one answer for you to consider. It was posted over a year ago but I believe the comments are still valid today. If you can make it to Louisville for the Mid-America Trucking SHow later this week, you'll be able to talk to just about every expedite recruiter from all the nationally recognized carriers.

Not a week goes by that someone asks, "what's the best carrier with which to lease?"

A while back, Broompilot mentioned that there are 31 expedite carriers that advertise with ExpeditersOnline. A long while back, a respected leader in our business community said "Asking any individual what's the best carrier is like asking any individual 'what's the best ice cream flavor'".

While now sitting at a great (not) layover site, Asheville, NC, I realized the coincidence of those two statements. We have 31 carrier sponsors and Baskin Robbins has 31 original flavors. In the same manner that no one can quantify the best flavor of ice cream, no one can quantify the best expedite carrier. I like Chocolate, you like Vanilla and everyone else has their favorite. Then again, yesterday, I liked chocolate; today, Rocky Road is the best flavor

How would you even define the best?

Is it more revenue miles per year, every year? Is it the least deadhead miles? The most pay per revenue mile? How 'bout the friendliest dispatchers? Easy access to the carrier President? Highest FSC? Cheapest Qualcomm, insurance or other charges? Find your own freight capability? Strict adherence to safety regulations? Lax adherence to safety regulations? Nationwide freight? Regional Freight? Home every weekend? Keep you busy every weekend? Busier solos? Busier teams? Etc, Etc, Etc.

The best we can tell any aspiring expediter is to talk to as many recruiters, owners and/or drivers as necessary for you to determine which flavor is the best company for you. To aid you in determining the questions which will be helpful to make an informed decision, check out the following site's information:

http://www.ooida.com/Swimming_sharks...owner_ops.html

highway star

Veteran Expediter
Owner/Operator
I guess I'll take my turn saying it. There's a severe glut of vans in the expediting business. Read back in the forums and you will find many references to it. If you are financially set and are just looking for something to do, a van will be fine. If you really want to make a living, get a bigger truck. I tell you this after 8+ years in a van. I got a bigger truck a year ago and I'm actually making some money now.