Canada best cargo van, Ford or GM, Diesel or gas

DesertHorse

Seasoned Expediter
Hi there,

Looking to buy a cargo van, I like sprinter but can't afford it, have to start with cargo,is ford better or GM, is it true that ford suspension are stronger then chevy (GM), Diesel or gas?

Thank you everyone.

Rey

Dakota

Veteran Expediter
With a Ford you will have alignment and tire wear problems due to the twin I beam front suspension, pretty much a given if your hauling a load(the tires will wear on the inner side of the tread) it is heavy duty but the Chevy will give you longer tire wear and I am sure it is just as strong.
If your going for a diesel go with Ford, they have a good diesel built by International Navistar
I am not to familiar with the Chevy Duramax but I had a Chevy Diesel 6.5 and it was nothing but problems.
Honestly, I don't think getting a diesel makes sense, your fuel mileage wont be that much better than gas and the cost of the diesel upfront is close to 5 grand more expensive than a compartivbe gas van. This is my opinion, so make up your own mind on this. If your looking at the Sprinter that is a different matter it is not a V8 Diesel and they get great mileage, although I hear maintenance costs alot.
A gas engine will go just as many miles as the diesel, last company I worked for had gas van and some had close to 300K on the original engines.

aristotle

Veteran Expediter
Ford vs Gm is a matter of personal taste. I operate with Ford E-350's. 7.3 Litre Powerstroke diesel engines. Tremendously reliable, but by all accounts, GM Duramax is equally good.

guido4475

Not a Member
Good morning! I bought a 2003 e-350 with a 7.3 powerstroke in it from ryder truck sales about 7 weeks ago.It was the best thing I have done.They have a bunch of them nationwide available now. There is a 30-day nationwide warranty on it,full detailed maintenance records since brand new on each vehicle they sell.The van that I purchased had 180k on it, and you couldnt even tell that it had that many miles on it. I mean, the inside/interior is mint.The outside has no rust anywhere, including underneath.The paint shines like new,no leaks or signs of leaks anywhere.I couldnt be happier.2003 was the last year for the 7.3 powerstroke, which everyone I talked to strongly recommended I get instead of the 6.0 diesel.This was told to me by freinds at ford engine in cleveland as well as close mechanic freinds.I'm sure the 6.0 is a good engine, but i was told i'd be better off in the long run.The van I have has been getting right at 17.6 mpg in the city only.so I'm sure i'll get better on the highway.

highway star

Veteran Expediter
Owner/Operator
I ran a '99 E-350 with a 7.3 for over 8 years. I would disagree with Dakota about the front end issues. My tires always wore very well, close to 200k on a set, and it only had 2 alignments. Based on my conversations with others, I don't think my experience was an exception. I do agree that you should stay away from the 6.0 and 6.2 Powerstrokes.

Test drive both, it is a matter of personal choice. The Duramax seems to be earning a good reputation, and gas engines have no problem giving many miles of good service in this business. I know of 2 gas engines that did a million plus in expediting.

DesertHorse

Seasoned Expediter
I ran a '99 E-350 with a 7.3 for over 8 years. I would disagree with Dakota about the front end issues. My tires always wore very well, close to 200k on a set, and it only had 2 alignments. Based on my conversations with others, I don't think my experience was an exception. I do agree that you should stay away from the 6.0 and 6.2 Powerstrokes.

Test drive both, it is a matter of personal choice. The Duramax seems to be earning a good reputation, and gas engines have no problem giving many miles of good service in this business. I know of 2 gas engines that did a million plus in expediting.

Hi guy's and thank you for the information.

I been looking for over a week and most of what I saw are 6l F 350, I haven't found any with 7, and the Chevy 3500 or GM are 6 vortec 8cyl, I really don't know what to pick , keep in mind I can't buy new ones, I'm looking for 2003 to 2007.

Rey

Dakota

Veteran Expediter

my experience with tire wear was a cube van hauling an average of 3 to 4000 pounds that might make a difference, since the front end was up in the air. A regular van probably wouldn't have this issue

Moot

Veteran Expediter
Owner/Operator
I bought my first van in 1998. I too debated between GM and Ford; gas and diesel. I chose a Chevy because of the long wheelbase. I believe this contributes to a nicer ride and better handling. The long wheelbase gives more options for heavy loads. Johnny, have you ever seen a Ford extended van shining airplanes at night?

A diesel engine in a Ford or GM will add extra weight thus reducing legal payload.

Jack_Berry

Moderator Emeritus
the 7.3 adds 800 lbs to the weight of the van. in a 350 you end up with the same carry capacity of a gas 250.

there are a couple diesel internet sites. try doing a google search for duramax forums.

try Used Trucks For Sale at Truck Paper: Freightliner, International Trucks, Kenworth, Peterbilt, Mack trucks, dump trucks, dump trailers, used trailers for sale. for used vans.

magnum truck sales has a few diesels. they advertise in tp. there is another place in fla that has quite a few lo mile diesels but then there is the travel pick up problem.

finally this very question was asked in the gen'l forum recently.

guido4475

Not a Member
Jumbo truck sales in florida has ALOT of ford vans for sale, but I thought they were a little high on their prices.

guido4475

Not a Member
Yes, you are right.I also, have seen alot of old dhl vans for sale. But I have noticed that a big majority of them for sale were e-150's or e-250's, short wheelbase, gas eng.I have yet to see one out there that is a e-350 diesel extended.I'm not saying they dont have them, but I havent seen any yet.

DesertHorse

Seasoned Expediter
Yes, you are right.I also, have seen alot of old dhl vans for sale. But I have noticed that a big majority of them for sale were e-150's or e-250's, short wheelbase, gas eng.I have yet to see one out there that is a e-350 diesel extended.I'm not saying they dont have them, but I haven't seen any yet.

I found 3 for sale one of them with 7.3 and its a 2003 model but its has on it over 200thousand k, the other 2 , 2005 model but the engine 6, 8cyl, 135thousand k on it, the price near the 12000.
I think I'll be worried to buy something with high mile unless they offer some kind of engine and trans warranty .

guido4475

Not a Member
I found 3 for sale one of them with 7.3 and its a 2003 model but its has on it over 200thousand k, the other 2 , 2005 model but the engine 6, 8cyl, 135thousand k on it, the price near the 12000.
I think I'll be worried to buy something with high mile unless they offer some kind of engine and trans warranty .
The high miles would'nt scare me as much as lack of possible maintenance.That is why I went with ryder as far as purchasing a van. A standard 30-day nationwide warranty.I took mine to a shop and paid them 50.00 to do a thourough inspection of the whole van, make an estimate of cost of repairs,took the van back to ryder and they repaired it all, no questions asked. Even after that there were a couple of things that surfaced and thet took care of them, no questions. A full detailed maintenance record is available for each van since new, showing date,location, and mileage of repair, which they will give you a copy of.The 7.3.has not used any oil yet, with 4k on the oil.I just think it is the best way to go, I mean, whoelse offers a warranty on a used commercial vehicle like that? Not many.I dont know if he still has it or not, but there was a 2004 e-350 extended gasser with 55k on it for sale for 9,900 in painesville, oh.But i wanted a diesel and with options.most ryder vans have every option but cruise control.

FIS53

Veteran Expediter
For me I went GM with the diesel. Better fuel economy, better ride and I could lube the frontend. The 6.5 diesel was a decent motor and I got over 500,000 miles before i sold it. The savings in fuel and such worked out fine and totally offset the extra cost of the diesel option. One major point for the diesel was I could go further than a gas unit on a tank of fuel thereby allowing me a better cruise distance (550-600 miles instead of 400-450 miles).

Next van I bought new but bought the Sprinter for a couple of reasons, first little difference in price compared to the Ford (gm new duramax not available then) as dodge would deal and Ford would not, second fuel economy was way better in the Sprinter (26mpg) and thrid loads more space and I can stand up in it and take higher skids.

Finding a used gm diesel will be very hard as the duramax hasn't been around too long in vans. The Ford 6L had all kinds of problems (according to dealer records). Used Sprinters usually have loads of miles.

For loads the gm long wheelbase is great as well as the Sprinter. The Ford has too much overhang on the rear and I've seen several with poor suspensions due to hauling a load too far back. Further the gm door opening is a little better than the Ford due to the weld edge on the Fords. Of course the Sprinter is even better as the doors fold right around to the body.

My Gm had the original tie rods when I sold it and only the ball joints were replaced over 500,000 miles, original transmission, original motor, finally rebuilt the fuel injection and replaced the fuel pump at 400,000 miles, but otherwise a cost effective vehicle. The Sprinter has also been very good for repairs so far but has required a bit more than the gm.

My view, go GM over Ford unless the Ford is a real good deal. I like diesels over gas and I work to get the mileage out of them as I hate stopping for fuel on a run and only stop for fuel, food etc in one stop (or as many needed to get there, but as few as possible).
Rob
p.s. diesel is cheaper than gas right now so big advantage in canada.

jj214

Veteran Expediter
Charter Member
20 years expediting and 5 vans.

Dodge 318
Ford Diesel
Chevy Gas
Ford Diesel
Ford Gas

1st. four vans delivered over 400K each.
The last Ford Diesel was hard on injectors and they are not cheap to replace!
If I were to list a preference, it would be the Dodge. Quieter, smoother ride, more like a car than a Van. Diesels are expensive to repair and maintain, noisy and depending where you are, finding fuel can be an issue.
If you consider the average weight of the loads carried, the Diesel Vans are overpowered. It would be great if Ford or Chevy would come out with a smaller Diesel.

FIS53

Veteran Expediter
I totally agree with your last line there. Smaller diesels would be great. But alas the american mfrs think bigger is better especially in the motor dept. The Sprinter has shown a smaller engine can be used and do the job. But unfortunately we are stuck with the options they provide.
Rob