Banks No Match for Trucks Where Rigs Pay Twice as Much

OntarioVanMan

Retired Expediter
Owner/Operator
Banks No Match for Trucks Where Rigs Pay Twice as Much - Bloomberg

The average annual wage for U.S. heavy truck and tractor trailer drivers rose to $39,830 in 2011, up 9.7 percent from five years before, according to the most recent data available from the Labor Department. Average hourly wages increased the same amount during the period to $19.15.

From the end of 2010 through January, trucking companies have boosted payrolls by 8.1 percent, or 102,900 jobs, more than twice the 3.4 percent gain in overall employment, according to Labor Department data released Feb. 1. During the 18-month recession that ended in June, 2009, trucking jobs declined at about double the rate of total payroll losses.

Analysts project more gains as the economy expands and truckers face new limits on hours of service. The industry is more than 125,000 drivers short of what it needs to meet demand, according to FTR Associates, the Bloomington, Indiana-based freight data and forecasting firm. The shortfall probably will more than double at the end of this year to 259,000 drivers, the biggest deficit in nine years, according to an FTR forecast.

JobDig Chief Executive Officer Toby Dayton said some trucking firms are turning down business because of driver shortages. They are paying higher salaries, offering signing bonuses and paying for training, certification and licensing for new drivers, he said.

“They know that wages are going to have to go up in this area if they want to get their trucks on the road,” Dayton said. “They literally have trucks sitting in lots that aren’t moving and they’ve got to turn down jobs if they can’t get drivers for 17 trucks that they have in St. Cloud, Minnesota. There’s a very high level of frustration.”

Some companies are paying bonuses of as much as $5,000 for drivers who stay for at least a year and are even starting their own training programs, said Charles Clowdis, managing director of transportation advisory services at IHS Global Insight in Lexington, Massachusetts. He sees the need for recruits in newspaper ads and on the air.

OntarioVanMan

Retired Expediter
Owner/Operator
Yep....shippers are expecting higher prices....will we see any of this gravy? a dribble down effect maybe...

Bloomington, IN (February 13, 2013) FTR Associates’ Shippers Conditions Index (SCI) for December came in with a reading of -4.9 reflecting tightening capacity which is expected to get significantly worse by mid-2013. Transport costs will continue to rise as freight continues to grow and new federal regulations reducing trucking capacity kick in, with the SCI reading expected to be about five points lower than the current reading by mid-summer. The Shippers Conditions Index is a compilation of factors affecting shippers transport environment. Any reading below zero indicates a tough environment for shippers. Readings below 10 signal that conditions for shippers will be near critical levels, based on available capacity and expected rates. Details of the factors affecting the December Shippers Conditions Index are found in the February issue of FTR’s Shippers Update published February 8

davekc

Senior Moderator
Staff member
Fleet Owner
Congress will go for a quick fix by sending money to Mexico to recruit drivers.;)
Wonder if E-1 is part of that lobbying effort since they just cut their rates to drivers?

OntarioVanMan

Retired Expediter
Owner/Operator
Congress will go for a quick fix by sending money to Mexico to recruit drivers.;)
Wonder if E-1 is part of that lobbying effort since they just cut their rates to drivers?

Actually... I've not seen a lot of Mexican drivers... More Eastern European than anything like the KGB moving in....

ATeam

Retired Expediter
I have been skeptical of the so-called driver shortage. I have yet to see any evidence with my own eyes or hear comments about one from shippers. Comments in the article are interesting but I remain skeptical.

That said, for the first time ever, it happened this week that two agents called on behalf of two different shippers. Both wanted to reserve our truck a full week in advance. We turned them both down because, while they were willing to agree to our price, they were not willing to guarantee payment if the load did not ship. Waiting that long on a maybe while shippers could continue to shop around was not something we were willing to do.

But it was interesting to see people wanting to book our truck a week in advance. That's the kind of thing that I would expect to see with my own eyes if a driver shortage really was developing. Two phone calls do not a trend make but in view of the above article, maybe we'll see more.

iceroadtrucker

Veteran Expediter
Driver

Dave they dont have to go to Mexico its already getting fixed. They are cutting the Military just did in 1996 and in 2000-2001 the Trucking driving schools will be back on the board for paid tuition as part of the GI Bill. So most likely the boys getting out will go to that then go to one of those training companies to get there time in of 6 months experience. wam what do you got a newbee with a job and and basicly haulen freight for cheap no more shortage. Na I dont think they will need any Mexicans. Thats how the Govt moves.
Oh and Dave I had to pay for my own school ya see they wouldnt take the GI bill for truck driving school when I got out. Somthing to think about. Like I said that how the Govt rolls.

Mabe if the stalk market would go down Corn and Beans and Hoggs and Cattle will go up.

Trends Been watching for a while.
Hmm.
Corn was at 7 a bushel, maybe stalks will decline and push the corn ta 12 a bushel.
Hmm But then again if we have another year like last in the mid west the Price of corn may hit
double on the 7 making it 14 a bushel could happen. Then again mabe not.
Dont see any needed rain in the Midwest, See a dust Bowel in the making.
Trucking got its own dust bowel in the making as well.
Just remember somthing once that sow getts so big its time to take her to market as the Boar too small to mate. Govt and Business same thing.

Attachments

• 547042_433591400037477_1242416100_n.jpg
    547042_433591400037477_1242416100_n.jpg
    31.6 KB · Views: 24
Last edited:

Moot

Veteran Expediter
Owner/Operator
Corn was at 7 a bushel, maybe stalks will decline and push the corn ta 12 a bushel.
Stalks in decline will not be able to support the weight of the ears as the corn matures. If the stalks completely fail, unripe corn will rot on the ground, pushing corn prices higher.

See a dust Bowel in the making.
You need to keep hydrated, especially after your strenuous work outs. Without an adequate intake of water, not only your bowels, but many other body organs will turn to dust. Water is essential to life as we known it!

iceroadtrucker

Veteran Expediter
Driver
Stalks in decline will not be able to support the weight of the ears as the corn matures. If the stalks completely fail, unripe corn will rot on the ground, pushing corn prices higher.

You need to keep hydrated, especially after your strenuous work outs. Without an adequate intake of water, not only your bowels, but many other body organs will turn to dust. Water is essential to life as we known it!

Ok FurFACE Thats the whole Idea push the corn and beans up. More money for me.
Far as stalks goes I hope China loose its but.

Now FurFace dont worrie I poped another tennis ball Friday with all the rif raff. ID say Im quite hydrated.

skyraider

Veteran Expediter
US Navy
The average annual wage for U.S. heavy truck and tractor trailer drivers rose to $39,830 in 2011, up 9.7 percent from five years before, according to the most recent data available from the Labor Department. Average hourly wages increased the same amount during the period to $19.15.
-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
$ 39,830 in this day and age is not that much money. Lets see, after taxes and food for an otr, he or she will be lucky to see $24,000 of it. Estimated take home on that is $460 bucks a week and as you all know, that does not include smokes, beer, movies,Laredo entertainment, and those little things like wife and family if he or she has a spouse and most have been divorced so many times they have lost count. So, at 30 cents a mile, lets do it......................could one not work 2 jobs at home and earn that much money?? yep you can, your up 16hrs a day anyway, so 2, 8dollar an hour jobs times 16 hrs times 5 days a week === $ 640 x 4.3 = 33,000 bucks at home and no driving, hmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmm. There is no good money in trucking, its all a play on words if your just gonna be a driver...

davekc

Senior Moderator
Staff member
Fleet Owner
Dave they dont have to go to Mexico its already getting fixed. They are cutting the Military just did in 1996 and in 2000-2001 the Trucking driving schools will be back on the board for paid tuition as part of the GI Bill. So most likely the boys getting out will go to that then go to one of those training companies to get there time in of 6 months experience. wam what do you got a newbee with a job and and basicly haulen freight for cheap no more shortage. Na I dont think they will need any Mexicans. Thats how the Govt moves.
Oh and Dave I had to pay for my own school ya see they wouldnt take the GI bill for truck driving school when I got out. Somthing to think about. Like I said that how the Govt rolls.

Mabe if the stalk market would go down Corn and Beans and Hoggs and Cattle will go up.

Trends Been watching for a while.
Hmm.
Hmm But then again if we have another year like last in the mid west the Price of corn may hit
double on the 7 making it 14 a bushel could happen. Then again mabe not.
Dont see any needed rain in the Midwest, See a dust Bowel in the making.
Trucking got its own dust bowel in the making as well.
Just remember somthing once that sow getts so big its time to take her to market as the Boar too small to mate. Govt and Business same thing.

May have something with the military but it would only be a supplement. Accordingly to that article, they are 125k short. You only have 65k in Afghanistan. If every single one signed up, you are still short according to them. Now pass the burritos. ;)