Backhauls what does your Carrier you for them.

Bruno

Veteran Expediter
Fleet Owner
US Marines
Backhauls what does your Carrier pay you for them.

I have had a few call this week in regards to doing back hauls. I was just wanting to know what each carrier gives the owner operators if they find their own load. Our carrier gives us 85% of the load. Can everyone post what they get.

Last edited:

greg334

Veteran Expediter
You know my company doesn't do backhauls, they find loads that pay. Backhauls are loads that only pay just enough to move.

shadow7663

Expert Expediter
Backhauls are loads that only pay just enough to move.

I really dislike the word "BACKHAUL" and the fact that there are companies out there that expect you to run loads at a reduced rate just because its going back to a certain area.

My cost to run my trucks is the same on a "NORMAL" load or a "BACKHAUL"

OntarioVanMan

Retired Expediter
Owner/Operator
Backhaul?..... Going back to where?....
I am an expediter...I drop one load and move unto to another...there is no backhaul in expediting..

chefdennis

Veteran Expediter
I don't think i have ever had a "backhaul" in my 5 yrs out here...yea I have had loads that took me back to where I came from, but that was strictly happenstance...nothing that was looked for....As has been said, I drop and wait for the next load...no matter where it takes me...

If I need to be someplace at a certain time, if I get a load goin that way, cool, if not, I'll DH on my own...but to the original question, my carrier doesn't have a "backhaul" program or any other program that has me finding my own loads....

Last edited:

Monty

Expert Expediter
Agrees with what everyone else said ..... no such thing as "backhaul" in my business plan.

purgoose10

Veteran Expediter
I really dislike the word "BACKHAUL" and the fact that there are companies out there that expect you to run loads at a reduced rate just because its going back to a certain area.

My cost to run my trucks is the same on a "NORMAL" load or a "BACKHAUL"

I fully concur. That's a term used by trucking companys since the dawn of time. It's truckings term for a plague.:cool:

iceroadtrucker

Veteran Expediter
Driver
I did a so called Back Haul back in 2009 with the owner of the truck from Dever CO to Atlanta GA of which he jumped off the truck and ran home to AL. I took the truck and unloaded it with out him. at a House Yes a House it was a House hold goods move. The load paid a buck a mile. Back Hauls maybe Ill dead head to VA today. Thank you for reminding me of that day. TAR Heals Bite Wind.

Last edited:

Bruno

Veteran Expediter
Fleet Owner
US Marines
Re: Backhauls what does your Carrier pay you for them.

Back haul loads I like. It doesn't mean cheap freight as some may think. It's just a load picking up around where you dropping off. I'm sorry if some of you think a back haul load is cheap freight. I will take a back haul of 1500 miles paying 1.50 all in all day long. My carrier only takes 15% of that which would still pay me $1.275 per mile all in.

Last edited:

Bruno

Veteran Expediter
Fleet Owner
US Marines
You know my company doesn't do backhauls, they find loads that pay. Backhauls are loads that only pay just enough to move.

Greg in another post you said if you put cheap freight together it pays to do. Now your saying different.

greg334

Veteran Expediter
Then it isn't a backhaul, it is freight.

"Backhaul" are a selling point on a recruiters list of things to say to a potential driver.

greg334

Veteran Expediter
Greg in another post you said if you put cheap freight together it pays to do. Now your saying different.

Nope not at all, there is a difference.

My previous post I said backhaul is a term used to sell people on something, putting together freight is a business move that fits into one's business model. If you can't see the difference, well what can I say - it works for a lot of us.

Using a "backhual" service within the carrier is something one does to make a move that the carrier won't pay for and pay just enough to move even if the carrier asks for the move. IF one gives up 15% for something they arrange, then they should not take that 15% but if you arrange it, then it seems justified.

davekc

Senior Moderator
Staff member
Fleet Owner
One can call it a backhaul or just simply "driver secured freight".
Doesn't really matter. What matters is the profitablity of the load(s). Nothing more than that.
Some of those loads can be dirt cheap all the way to paying much higher than anything advertised on this site.

With regards to the 15 percent, I think that is a fair number considering one is using the carrier authority, adminastive tasks,insurance, and collections on that shipment.

Bruno

Veteran Expediter
Fleet Owner
US Marines
Nope not at all, there is a difference.

My previous post I said backhaul is a term used to sell people on something, putting together freight is a business move that fits into one's business model. If you can't see the difference, well what can I say - it works for a lot of us.

Using a "backhual" service within the carrier is something one does to make a move that the carrier won't pay for and pay just enough to move even if the carrier asks for the move. IF one gives up 15% for something they arrange, then they should not take that 15% but if you arrange it, then it seems justified.

Really there is isn't? I found this just for you Greg.

What is a backhaul?

The Backhaul Still Exists!
Simply put, a carrier is not making money if they are not hauling freight. The vast majority of carriers have customers located near their home base where they pick up freight to deliver to points across the country. Each of these outbound shipments is called a headhaul. Once that shipment has been completed, the backhaul comes into play. A backhaul is a shipment that allows a carrier to make money on the trip back to their home base. By utilizing backhauls instead of headhauls, you save money. By nature, backhaul rates are cheaper than headhaul rates because carriers need to get their trucks home as quickly as possible to service their customers.

The challenge with utilizing backhaul carriers is that you never know where their trucks are on an everyday basis. This is where Command enters the picture. We do the work for you. We have relationships with over 10,000 carriers who always need backhauls and we make it our business to know where their trucks are on a daily basis. These carriers have trucks scattered across the country and they look to Command to find loads that will return their drivers home without too much deadhead (miles traveled with an empty trailer). In the case of a backhaul, the deadhead is the distance a truck travels from their most recent delivery to the shipping point of their backhaul load.

So how do we make money and still pass the savings on to our customers? Here is an example that shows you why Command is a cost effective solution:

1000 mile shipment
Headhaul carrier rate: $1.75/mile x 1000 miles = $1750
Backhaul carrier rate: $1.50/mile x 1000 miles = $1500
Command rate: $1.55/mile x 1000 miles = $1550
If you ship this lane 10 times a month, you save $2000 by choosing Command over a headhaul carrier. With one call, you save money while increasing workforce productivity.

Don't be fooled, the backhaul is alive and well.

OntarioVanMan

Retired Expediter
Owner/Operator
But Bruno..where is "home" to an expediter? unless the driver requests to be to their home....I wanna run......I don't wanna just be going back to Taylor...I don't live there...I want to go side to side not up and down...

so a dispatcher sees say 2 loads...Laredo to Seattle and Laredo to Detroit...they don't bid on the Seattle load because they want to bring me "home"??

greg334

Veteran Expediter
I think that Dave (Bruno) there gets things mixed up OVM, he missed the point that there isn't back hauls in this business, just paid and unpaid moves. I and most don't work out of a home office surrounded by customers but have a general understanding that we need to be located near our customer which will be the next load we get.

With that said, I seem to think that DaveKC pointed out that "What matters is the profitablity of the load" which is true. AND again Dave (Bruno) still didn't get the idea about putting multiple loads on the truck to make a better rate which is done quite often. I also think that what others have said in this thread backs my point up better than Dave's (Bruno's) which was a good question if asked in the right context.

I'm wondering about a question I was asked last night, how would most of these people make it if they didn't have all these things paid for and had to run their trucks like a real business?

Bruno

Veteran Expediter
Fleet Owner
US Marines
I think that Dave (Bruno) there gets things mixed up OVM, he missed the point that there isn't back hauls in this business, just paid and unpaid moves. I and most don't work out of a home office surrounded by customers but have a general understanding that we need to be located near our customer which will be the next load we get.

With that said, I seem to think that DaveKC pointed out that "What matters is the profitablity of the load" which is true. AND again Dave (Bruno) still didn't get the idea about putting multiple loads on the truck to make a better rate which is done quite often. I also think that what others have said in this thread backs my point up better than Dave's (Bruno's) which was a good question if asked in the right context.

I'm wondering about a question I was asked last night, how would most of these people make it if they didn't have all these things paid for and had to run their trucks like a real business?

Greg

Once again you assume that I don't get it. The term back haul used by many in regards to a load that gets the driver out of the area where they are headed to. It doesn't mean that you have to take the load back home. Some call them regular loads some drivers call them back hauls. It doesn't mean it has to be cheap freight either.

And once again your assuming in regards to me putting multiple loads on the truck to make a better rate. We did that all the time when we had a truck on at TST Expedited Services and we still do it today at Panther. Just because I don't share everything on EO don't mean I don't do it. TST Expedite has been doing that for years, ask Stew who worked at TST then started up Sylectus.

It's not something new Greg. We was doing it with TST before you started in the expedite business. My family has been in trucking over 90 years and I know more than what you think about trucking. I don't feel the need to post everything I know and try to look down on others as you try to do. I learn new things every day as I don't claim to know everything as you do. You like to try to call people out to feed your own ego, which other members of EO know you do. Why don't you try to be positive and help people rather then trying to make others look bad. Once again I will say this, you have a lot to offer the people of EO but you choose to do other things. I'm not trying to hurt your feeling or slam you, i'm just being honest Greg.