Auto Hauling

Steviegoblue

Rookie Expediter
Hello everyone. If I I'm hauling a 3 car wedge trailer behind a 1 ton dually less than 26k, do I need IRP? I'm confused about all the licensing options and just need to know what the heck I need to haul 3 cars interstate under 26k? Some people are saying to go Apportioned? I'm seeking advice.
Thank you.

tknight

Veteran Expediter
No but you do need to have log book,medical card, dot number and mc number, registration with ucr and any local stuff you may need within your state

Reactions: Steviegoblue

Steviegoblue

Rookie Expediter
I live in Ohio. Rumor is in 2016 they're going to DOT#s only. Trailer inspection done at any trailer dealer?? They give you a sticker?

mjmsprt40

Veteran Expediter
Owner/Operator
The trailer will be inspected at the same place they inspect your pickup. They do it that way since you're running a "baby rig". Sure, they'll probably inspect each separately-- but they also want to see that everything works together since that's the way it'll be on the road.

tknight

Veteran Expediter
I live in Ohio. Rumor is in 2016 they're going to DOT#s only. Trailer inspection done at any trailer dealer?? They give you a sticker?
Don't believe rumors if anything they're going to invent even more regulations and find ways to charge for them! Simplifying isn't the government way!!!!!!

Oh and all those numbers have to be in visible lettering on both doors along with the last 8 of your vin numbers

I'm also in Ohio too

Steviegoblue

Rookie Expediter
The trailer will be inspected at the same place they inspect your pickup. They do it that way since you're running a "baby rig". Sure, they'll probably inspect each separately-- but they also want to see that everything works together since that's the way it'll be on the road.
Where do I take everything for inspection?

tknight

Veteran Expediter
Any truck stop and some private shops too cost about 50-75 dollars good for a year even though the dot don't care what it says they'll bust ya for not having the stickers

tknight

Veteran Expediter
That 10k magic number will get ya
That's where all the rules for big rigs apply to you all except Ifta that hits home at 26001
And if you get a ez toll pass make sure you include the trailer by weight and number of axles

Steviegoblue

Rookie Expediter
That 10k magic number will get ya
That's where all the rules for big rigs apply to you all except Ifta that hits home at 26001
Yeah, giving thought to going apportioned only so I don't have to worry about scaling all the time. Plan on running right close to 26k. Not sure of the extra cost associated with that but looking into it.

tknight

Veteran Expediter
Apportioned has absolutely nothing I repeat nothing to do with scaling or anything else it for you to pay money and waste your time doing fuel taxes which have no bearing on an under 26k commercial vehicle!!!!! Apportioned plates will not mean anything except wasting money!!!!

Ignore the person who told you that having apportioned plates are needed for your rig ...... They don't know bupkis!!!!!

Steviegoblue

Rookie Expediter
Apportioned has absolutely nothing I repeat nothing to do with scaling or anything else it for you to pay money and waste your time doing fuel taxes which have no bearing on an under 26k commercial vehicle!!!!! Apportioned plates will not mean anything except wasting money!!!!

Ignore the person who told you that having apportioned plates are needed for your rig ...... They don't know bupkis!!!!!
What I meant was, instead of worrying all the time about weight and being barely over 26k, I thought it may be worth it to get apportioned plates and pay the tax so I don't need to turn down loads or worry about a fine due to weight.

mjmsprt40

Veteran Expediter
Owner/Operator
If you run over 26K pulling with a 6-wheel pickup, turning down loads will be the least of your worries. You've got to get that thing moving--- hard on the engine and transmission. Gotta stop it somehow. Guess what that does to brakes. Do you think you might be in hilly country? That heavy weight on that pickup is gonna do things to your tranny and brakes that I don't even want to think about in hill country.

A 6-wheel pickem-up truck was never meant to do the job of a road tractor. License plates won't help, in fact in a case like this they're liable to hurt because you get to thinking your truck can do more than it can actually do.

Steviegoblue

Rookie Expediter
If you run over 26K pulling with a 6-wheel pickup, turning down loads will be the least of your worries. You've got to get that thing moving--- hard on the engine and transmission. Gotta stop it somehow. Guess what that does to brakes. Do you think you might be in hilly country? That heavy weight on that pickup is gonna do things to your tranny and brakes that I don't even want to think about in hill country.

A 6-wheel pickem-up truck was never meant to do the job of a road tractor. License plates won't help, in fact in a case like this they're liable to hurt because you get to thinking your truck can do more than it can actually do.
Bought a 2016 Ram 3500 dually long box with 6.7 litre turbo diesel, Aisin high output 6 sad trans, 3.73 rear differential ration with towing cap at 25k. I'll never tow more than 19k - 20k tops. Usually only be towing probably around 15k - 17k. I live in Ohio and expect 95% regional runs and home daily, normally. I have built in engine brake as well.

Steviegoblue

Rookie Expediter
If a High Output Ram diesel can't do that job then perhaps the consumer would've already known. There's got to be a reason that Ram and the High Output Cummins diesel has the reputation it does. Just my opinion.

BobWolf

Veteran Expediter
Owner/Operator
You will have to have Highway use tax credentials as well at least for New York State. Check with the other states you plan to travel in. Save your time and money and apply directly to NYS and other tax department offices.

Department of Taxation and Finance

Between the application and sticker you will have close to 20 bucks into it.
Any vehicle with a Gross or max rated weight over 18,000 lbs. must have a sticker. Its an expensive fine and they will suspend your plates if you don't apply, file, and pay if taxes are due. They can ground you and pound your truck if you get caught with no sticker as well.
You will have to file quarterly all miles driven in N.Y.S. Even if you don't travel in N.Y.S. you have to file. You don't have to pay if you don't drive in N.Y.
NYS thruway miles are exempt but the state will whack you with the tolls. Its not a big deal just a hassle to do.

Shoot me a PM if you need help with it.

BobWolf

Veteran Expediter
Owner/Operator
Not sure if Ohio has a vehicle safety inspection program, but a NYS Heavy duty vehicle inspection covers the yearly inspection requirements. I usually pick up the DOT inspection paperwork at TA and have the tech fill it out. Be sure he puts his stamp on it to make it legit, both the sticker and the long form.

Steviegoblue

Rookie Expediter
Not sure if Ohio has a vehicle safety inspection program, but a NYS Heavy duty vehicle inspection covers the yearly inspection requirements. I usually pick up the DOT inspection paperwork at TA and have the tech fill it out. Be sure he puts his stamp on it to make it legit, both the sticker and the long form.
Excellent info thanks Bob. I knew there was something different about NYC that I had to do and I do plan on traveling through there.

BobWolf

Veteran Expediter
Owner/Operator
Its all of New York State that the HUT applies to. As for NYC request paper truck route maps and keep a couple at the office and at least 1 in each truck. I got a fair warning from a NYC cop when I was lost. $500.00 fine and 5 points on the license.
Also find out if you have any special requirements in NYC since you are technically driving a combination vehicle.
Oh yeah, get that ticket and pay NYS 100.00 per year per point if you want to drive..
Here is the NYCDOT website
New York City Department of Transportation

tknight

Veteran Expediter
Do you have a cdl?i forgot about the hut sticker, ny gotta love it or hate it either way they want your money too!!